In my local paper this morning

In my local paper this morning

June 1st, 2012, 1:59 pm #1

I love my local paper. It doesn't try to be a 'hard hitting national shining example of journalism' - it carries a few AP stories so that just in case it's the only thing you read all day you get the gist of the top 10 stories of the day, but then goes about telling me everything I want to know about what's going on locally incredibly well.

There's been an ongoing story for about a year now about this farmer in one of the nearby hill towns that can't keep his livestock in his fields. The townspeople are beside themselves after nearly killing his cows and pigs what seems like hundreds of times.

So finally it's before a judge. Top story, to the left, above the fold this morning. In a HUGE callout quote - a local selectman is quoted saying,

"This cow and pig thing is asinine. It's gone on way, way, way, too long."

HAHAHAHA! I fucking love it here.

June 1st, 2012, 2:35 pm #2

I love my local paper too. As most of you know, I live right below the state line, officially in SC, however still part of the Charlotte, NC metro area.

I used to use the Charlotte Observer for my local news, which considers itself a "big city" paper, but its got its share of yokelness.

A few years ago I switched to the Rock Hill Herald, the local SC paper, which actually has way more news about my immediate community and is yokel all the way. What gets me is that when some crap happens like, say, the cops take away some peoples kids for living in filth, in the comments section people who actually know these people will get in huge personal arguments about stuff.

Its way more amusing to read than the Observer, who's comments are usually along the lines of someone blaming Obama and the liberals for a road closing, and then the liberals crawling out of the woodwork to defend themselves.

DJ.

June 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #3

I love my local paper. It doesn't try to be a 'hard hitting national shining example of journalism' - it carries a few AP stories so that just in case it's the only thing you read all day you get the gist of the top 10 stories of the day, but then goes about telling me everything I want to know about what's going on locally incredibly well.

There's been an ongoing story for about a year now about this farmer in one of the nearby hill towns that can't keep his livestock in his fields. The townspeople are beside themselves after nearly killing his cows and pigs what seems like hundreds of times.

So finally it's before a judge. Top story, to the left, above the fold this morning. In a HUGE callout quote - a local selectman is quoted saying,

"This cow and pig thing is asinine. It's gone on way, way, way, too long."

HAHAHAHA! I fucking love it here.
My parents teeny, tiny town has a local paper and my long-standing tradition is reading the police blotter when visiting. It's fucking hysterical. Written so poorly and weird, it never fails to make us laugh. They literally report every call made to the police station with gems like "a man was shouting on Canyon Street" & "A large amount of boxes were blowing all over the area", "A drunk man was sleeping on the newspaper box." No details, no follow-up. I love it.

June 2nd, 2012, 11:15 am #4

Report: Teen attacked by group in Rock Hill park

The 18-year-old said he was walking through the park near the basketball court when eight or nine males began yelling at him, asking "where's the bread?," according to a Rock Hill police report.

Read more here:http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/06/01/ ... rylink=cpy

June 2nd, 2012, 12:22 pm #5

Do you think they were vegetarians?

Wow... those commenters ARE amazing!