Good Vibes: A Thank You Thread

Good Vibes: A Thank You Thread

May 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm #1

Time for a much deserved thank you, and some massive good vibes.

As ya'll know - I got my degree in creative writing in 2009 and just like every other lit-kid out there, wound up working in finance.

But dammit - I'm still trying to write that great American novel. (You may remember Todd saying in the very first laid off cartoon that "Writing a novel is like, hard and stuff." Too true.)

Anyway - a small piece of mine was recently picked up by a magazine based out of Maine, which is affiliated with American Public Media and NPR. Along with publication in the magazine, they're considering it to appear on NPR's "Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor," and are considering it to be published in an anthology put out by The Penguin Group.

The told me all of this on a Sunday afternoon and requested that I submit to them a 125 word bio on myself by Monday morning. Oh, okay. 125 word bio, how hard can that be?

When there's a gun to your head - harder than you'd imagine.

So I banged out what I thought was sufficient and sent a FB message to one of the other board lit-kids, Ms. Annyboo herself - and asked if she could take a look at it.

Not only did Anny take a look - but she sent me three completely revised drafts.

So - I'm taking this opportunity to publicly laud and thank you, Anny, for being so wonderfully helpful and giving with your time and wisdom.

Also - a nugget from our exchange I thought you folks would find amusing:

Anny: You have a propensity for passive voice. BE AGRESSIVE my friend.
Me: I have a propensity for passive everything. I'm good at investments because I talk in a soft voice and I'm bad at dating because I ask girls if they'll mind I kiss them before I do. (Okay, I stopped doing that a while ago... thank God.)

Many fire trucks for you, Anny.

Herpes is a gift that doesn't say "I love you.". -Hep C

May 1st, 2012, 3:21 pm #2

Coolio news! Great to hear... cant wait to read it up.!

May 1st, 2012, 3:33 pm #3

Awww thanks, David. But completely unnecessary. My pleasure!

Can't say enough how proud I am of you. This is just the beginning of a great writing career, no doubt! You have to keep us posted about NPR. Just think! Two borders making NPR! We are taking over the world.

Sincere congratulations once again to you.

May 1st, 2012, 8:16 pm #4

Congratulations RS. You may recall I am a firm believer in the utility of a good semicolon. It is one of the most egalitarian forms of punctuation, and is destined to supplant the plutocratic oxford comma. I implore you to embrace the semicolon; champion the fight for the people.

AnonoBoBo
AnonoBoBo

May 1st, 2012, 9:35 pm #5

Didn't you write "I seen" somewhere recently? I couldn't tell if you were joking.

May 1st, 2012, 9:52 pm #6

Anon, I can vouch that, while he can't spell for shit, RS's grammar is impeccable.

May 1st, 2012, 9:56 pm #7

As ya'll know - I got my degree in creative writing in 2009 and just like every other lit-kid out there, wound up working in finance.

But dammit - I'm still trying to write that great American novel. (You may remember Todd saying in the very first laid off cartoon that "Writing a novel is like, hard and stuff." Too true.)

Anyway - a small piece of mine was recently picked up by a magazine based out of Maine, which is affiliated with American Public Media and NPR. Along with publication in the magazine, they're considering it to appear on NPR's "Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor," and are considering it to be published in an anthology put out by The Penguin Group.

The told me all of this on a Sunday afternoon and requested that I submit to them a 125 word bio on myself by Monday morning. Oh, okay. 125 word bio, how hard can that be?

So I banged out what I thought was sufficient and sent a FB message to one of the other board lit-kids, Ms. Annyboo herself - and asked if she could take a look at it.

Not only did Anny take a look - but she sent me three completely revised drafts.

So - I'm taking this opportunity to publicly laud and thank you, Anny, for being so wonderfully helpful and giving with your time and wisdom.

Me: I have a propensity for passive everything. I'm good at investments because I talk in a soft voice and I'm bad at dating because I ask girls if they'll mind I kiss them before I do. (Okay, I stopped doing that a while ago... thank God.)

Way to go! Very happy for you! =D

jo
jo

May 1st, 2012, 10:07 pm #8

great news RS!!

When some doors close others will open.

May 1st, 2012, 11:41 pm #9

Congrats!!! This is great news!

May 2nd, 2012, 1:35 am #10

Awesome news David!
Nice job Anny!