God Bless America

God Bless America

May 16th, 2012, 2:10 am #1

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

smirk
smirk

May 16th, 2012, 1:44 pm #2

That looks pretty good. Like falling down with balls. Good to see Bobcat doing something. Also, I don't think I've seen that lead actor since he was John Cusack's best friend in One Crazy Summer.

Good find, Afro. Will be on the look out for it.

May 16th, 2012, 2:29 pm #3

I happened to find this trailer after watching Prometheus. I don't know if this will be playing in my city though. Kinda reminds me of the premise of <em>Hobo with a Shotgun</em>.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

May 16th, 2012, 3:12 pm #4

Pass.

May 18th, 2012, 12:08 pm #5

Long story (to be told later) but I was in the editing room with Bobcat while he was cutting together this movie. True story.

May 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm #6

Ooooo. Do tell tOdd. Should be an interesting read.

May 18th, 2012, 4:14 pm #7

I just listened to his episode of Real Time from a week or two. I like that dude. His WTF with Marc Maron was pretty interesting too.

smirk
smirk

September 9th, 2012, 1:36 pm #8

I watched this last night on Netflix. On the heels of the Dark Knight Colorado shooting, it sure doesn't play that well.

Dante's instincts were right on.

Its sorta preachy too. Although in his dialogue, Bobcat tries to be all like he's equal opportunity, when it comes to the actual murders he really isn't.

If Bobcat had gotten really creative and meta, he may have been able to save this by having his characters come and murder him for adding to the cacophony of pop culture an endorsement of judge, jury, and executioner mentality for anyone that you disagree with, or find vapidly shallow - because in the end, the movie is not really smart enough to be any more than the very thing it supposedly is railing against. Other movies like Falling Down and NBK had moments when they recognized and tried to come to terms with their own hypocrisy. NBK did it head on in the prison interview segments, whilst Falling Down pretty much had Douglas fail at the end. The two characters here go out in a hail of bullets while murdering anybody who would dare be a fan American Idol, not having learned a whole lot about anything.

In NBK Steven Wright, the "psychologist" said, "Mickey and Mallory know the difference between right and wrong - they just don't care" - These characters really think that they're right. And that's the problem, because on the face of it murder for the vapid and shallow reasons they're doing it, is wrong - which upsets bobcat's whole premise.

In Falling Down, Douglas' character is mirrored by Robert Duvall's character who arguably has it worse than "D-Fens" in that not only has to put up with our rubbish culture, but has a nutso wife, and some pretty harsh office politics he's had to put up with for years - and still is able to maintain his composure and not go crazy. Bobcat's movie really doesn't try to hold up anyone as an example of how to tolerate junk culture - but rather proposes that its intolerable.

Kinda one note, and kinda stupid. There were definitely missed opportunities here that would have made this a really good movie.

That said, I'm still open to anything bobcat has going on.
Last edited by Smirkdirk on September 9th, 2012, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.