Ginger Bread Competition

Ginger Bread Competition

smirk
smirk

December 6th, 2011, 3:26 pm #1

When we were in Asheville last week there was a National Gingerbread House competition at the Grove Park Inn. Thought I would share these.

That horse is fucking nuts.

And the Winner?....

Amazing!

Actually the winner was a stagecoach that had collapsed before we got there. Evidently every year the top ten are hauled off to Good Morning America a couple days before Christmas.

AnonoGobble
AnonoGobble

December 6th, 2011, 3:32 pm #2

Those are crazy! Lots of fondant, though. Yours has more of that..je ne sais quoi.

Arwen
Arwen

December 6th, 2011, 4:00 pm #3

When we were in Asheville last week there was a National Gingerbread House competition at the Grove Park Inn. Thought I would share these.

And the Winner?....

Amazing!

Actually the winner was a stagecoach that had collapsed before we got there. Evidently every year the top ten are hauled off to Good Morning America a couple days before Christmas.
Wow! I would feel badly eating those. Well, only for a second.

Ginny
Ginny

December 6th, 2011, 4:56 pm #4

And the Winner?....

Amazing!

Yours doesn't look much worse than that one next to the Snoopy house actually. Maybe better.

December 6th, 2011, 5:04 pm #5

These are great! I love the carousel horse - but I am partial to them.

Do people really like Ginger Bread? Ick. I put it up there with fruit cakes and canned cranberry sauce - doesn't seem like a holiday without them but look and no touch!

Ginny
Ginny

December 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm #6

I made gingerbread with fresh ginger a few days ago and it was SOFA KING GOOD. This is basically it- You can add cloves but I left them out because Guitar Boy hates them.

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 teaspoons grated fresh peeled ginger
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
2.In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses and fresh ginger.
3.In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
4.Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving

DJ.

December 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm #7

These are great! I love the carousel horse - but I am partial to them.

Do people really like Ginger Bread? Ick. I put it up there with fruit cakes and canned cranberry sauce - doesn't seem like a holiday without them but look and no touch!

You are insane. Gingerbread and fruit cake aren't even in the same league of shitty food. Fruit cake is like eating your grandmothers wig dipped in cheap perfume and littered with jujubes from the bottom of her purse. Gingerbread is a spicy goodness cookie filled with happiness and joy.

AnonoGobble
AnonoGobble

December 6th, 2011, 5:15 pm #8

Delicious with coffee. Gingerbread FTW.

December 6th, 2011, 5:18 pm #9

Oh. And candy corn. I forgot about candy corn.

I like cooking with ginger (pork roasts and such). Just not ginger bread.

Ronnie
Ronnie

December 6th, 2011, 5:20 pm #10

Cooking with Ginger? All she could make was coconut pie