Friday's Controversial Topic

Friday's Controversial Topic

June 22nd, 2012, 2:00 pm #1

I can't come up with one. I'm not feeling very controversial.

Maybe this?

Anyone read either "Bringing up Bebe" or "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?"

We just bought both. I can't wait to read them and compare and contrast.

I've got something else to finish first before I start them - but anyone have any thoughts on these? Both controversial, but each espousing a very different approach!

June 22nd, 2012, 2:18 pm #2

how about one of Sandusky's adopted sons publicly stating he was molested/abused? I think a lot of people wondered if this was the case.

There might be riots if he's found not guilty. Someone compared it to OJ being found not guilty, but I think the evil that is Jerry Sandusky is beyond OJ.
Last edited by orvis on June 22nd, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapsLock
CapsLock

June 22nd, 2012, 2:38 pm #3

I think he's gonna get off...

...if there's any kids around.

Hey Oh!

No seriously, that's nothing to joke about.

Appalled
Appalled

June 22nd, 2012, 2:58 pm #4

I can't come up with one. I'm not feeling very controversial.

Maybe this?

Anyone read either "Bringing up Bebe" or "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?"

We just bought both. I can't wait to read them and compare and contrast.

I've got something else to finish first before I start them - but anyone have any thoughts on these? Both controversial, but each espousing a very different approach!
Did you see the story of the kids in Greece, NY who bullied the elderly widowed bus monitor to tears? Told her "you're so ugly your kids should kill themselves". And her son did kill himself 10 years ago. Appropriate punishments, discuss...

June 22nd, 2012, 3:11 pm #5

So, this story got huge quick.

The positive part is the money that's been raised (I think like $300k now) for the woman. Great story. feels nice.

And look, what these kids did was evil and rotten. The video is hard to watch. They need to understand why what they did is so wrong and be made to examine what caused them to gang up on an old woman. I hope they can right their paths.

But...

Like anything these days this is getting out hand. These kids are getting death threats, the families are being harassed at their places of work, the school gets a barrage of phone calls each day.

I just feel like its a shame that it has to go to such extremes. If it never got out this woman would have suffered in silence. But then it does get out, goes viral, and now some equally evil shit is happening. What in people's brains makes them think that the way to deal with negative behavior like this is violent threats.

They are kids and they did something bad and wrong. And like any kids, they should be allowed to ensure that this event does not shape their lives going forward. Its a chance for them to really change for the better. But let's remember, most people have an event from their childhood that they regret or wish they could take back. We should give them a chance to deal with this at the school, with the parents, and with the woman - then move on.

Just worried that this stuff seems to get so crazy so quick because of the net these days. Then again, that poor woman would never have had resolution to this if not for the net...one of these I think:

Appalled
Appalled

June 22nd, 2012, 3:18 pm #6

I just read $480 k, which is amazing.

I think the kids contact info was listed on 4chan and now police are considering posting officers outside their homes. How old are these kids?

This should be a Jem/Mrs Dubose situation... Maybe while wearing gags.

smirk
smirk

June 22nd, 2012, 3:22 pm #7

So, this story got huge quick.

The positive part is the money that's been raised (I think like $300k now) for the woman. Great story. feels nice.

And look, what these kids did was evil and rotten. The video is hard to watch. They need to understand why what they did is so wrong and be made to examine what caused them to gang up on an old woman. I hope they can right their paths.

But...

Like anything these days this is getting out hand. These kids are getting death threats, the families are being harassed at their places of work, the school gets a barrage of phone calls each day.

I just feel like its a shame that it has to go to such extremes. If it never got out this woman would have suffered in silence. But then it does get out, goes viral, and now some equally evil shit is happening. What in people's brains makes them think that the way to deal with negative behavior like this is violent threats.

They are kids and they did something bad and wrong. And like any kids, they should be allowed to ensure that this event does not shape their lives going forward. Its a chance for them to really change for the better. But let's remember, most people have an event from their childhood that they regret or wish they could take back. We should give them a chance to deal with this at the school, with the parents, and with the woman - then move on.

Just worried that this stuff seems to get so crazy so quick because of the net these days. Then again, that poor woman would never have had resolution to this if not for the net...one of these I think:

Let's hope that Spike Lee gets the addresses right this time.

smirk
smirk

June 22nd, 2012, 3:23 pm #8

I just read $480 k, which is amazing.

I think the kids contact info was listed on 4chan and now police are considering posting officers outside their homes. How old are these kids?

This should be a Jem/Mrs Dubose situation... Maybe while wearing gags.

Justice.

AnonoPajama
AnonoPajama

June 22nd, 2012, 3:27 pm #9

You have to wait for "somebody" to "approve" your post, Smirk. This one won't be, so no idea why I'm bothering.

June 22nd, 2012, 3:30 pm #10

Good reverse psychology!