Does Ann Romney Speak for You?

Does Ann Romney Speak for You?

April 12th, 2012, 5:33 pm #1

Thought this might generate some interesting discussion. Some Democratic consultant stated that Ann Romney isn't qualified to discuss women's issues because she has never held a job. Of course raising children certainly qualifies as work, although she presumably had nannies and housekeepers assisting her. Obama's advisors and the DNC are distancing themselves from the comment and trying to avoid alienating stay-at-home mothers.

My initial opinion is that it really doesn't matter how much or how little Mrs. Romney has in common with average working women. Mitt Romney punting discussion of their issues to his wife is as lame as it would be to hand off opinions on foreign affairs if she spent a couple of years doing Mormon missionary work abroad. Women make up 55% of the population and our president should be fully informed and aware himself of their specific areas of concern.

Any thoughts? Is this just campaign retortic and fluff as usual, or is it touching on a bigger theme?

Full article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

April 12th, 2012, 5:44 pm #2

I thought we were living in a post-womens' lib society, where the equality of men and women was a given. I had hoped that the election of Obama showed that we might be living in a post-racial society, where the equality of those with different skin colors was a given. I was wrong on both counts.

The sad fact is that there is portion of society that thinks both women and dark-skinned people do not deserve the same rights and freedoms that said portion themselves want to enjoy. This portion of society has become more vocal in the last few years.

April 12th, 2012, 6:38 pm #3

I wonder how much "work" Ann Romney did, and how much of it was passed on to nannies. Any regular stay-at-home mother in America that identifies with Ann Romney is an idiot.

These political verbal scuffles remind me so much of children bickering.

I can't wait until this election is over and we have one scumbag or the other in office. It really makes no difference which.

Last edited by Hepatitis_C on April 12th, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smirk
smirk

April 12th, 2012, 6:43 pm #4

Didn't she tell Mitt not to put the dog on the roof? If so, she kinda spoke for me.

Last edited by Smirkdirk on April 12th, 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mevy
Mevy

April 12th, 2012, 6:52 pm #5

Ha! @ Smirk.

Romney's kind of a one issue guy, the economy. He's a good business person, who's been very successful at turning organizations around, particularly when he headed up the 2002 Olympics. So as much as a president can effect the economy, he might do a good job there. And in general, a strong economy helps everyone. So there's that. But yeah, you'd think a guy running for president would at least have some pre-packaged answers when asked about issues specifically pertaining to women.

And how can anyone go through life without a W2 style job, ever? Of course motherhood is a full-time gig and then some. But are you telling me this woman never had a job in high school? Never waited tables in college? And aren't her kids all over 30 now? What are you staying at home for, Ann? Or when she's at home, does that translate into, out at the private stables, riding Dressage?

April 13th, 2012, 2:53 pm #6

I know this will probably piss off every woman here, but motherhood is not the hardest job in the world.

I've poured concrete slabs in Florida during the summertime. That kicks the crap out of watching Elmo DVDs in your PJs at 10am, and I'm sure it doesn't even make the top 100 hardest jobs in the world.

I have no doubt that raising a child is definitely the job with the highest price for failure, but calling it the hardest job on the planet is nothing more than pandering.

Arwen
Arwen

April 13th, 2012, 2:56 pm #7

Hmmm...I don't think when people say it's the hardest job, that they mean it's physically the hardest :P

April 13th, 2012, 3:06 pm #8

Thought this might generate some interesting discussion. Some Democratic consultant stated that Ann Romney isn't qualified to discuss women's issues because she has never held a job. Of course raising children certainly qualifies as work, although she presumably had nannies and housekeepers assisting her. Obama's advisors and the DNC are distancing themselves from the comment and trying to avoid alienating stay-at-home mothers.

My initial opinion is that it really doesn't matter how much or how little Mrs. Romney has in common with average working women. Mitt Romney punting discussion of their issues to his wife is as lame as it would be to hand off opinions on foreign affairs if she spent a couple of years doing Mormon missionary work abroad. Women make up 55% of the population and our president should be fully informed and aware himself of their specific areas of concern.

Any thoughts? Is this just campaign retortic and fluff as usual, or is it touching on a bigger theme?

Full article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
Motherhood might not be the hardest job, but it is the most important one. You're raising a person who will shape the world after all. Its a shame that women rights movement made it so if you're not raising kids, keeping your home and working a full time job, you're not doing your share. I'm sure no one saw that outcome.

And the older I get the more I appreciate domestic arts, there is something to be said for making a house a home. Its a valuable skill that if you can afford to do, it makes life much more pleasurable.

That being said, I dont believe Ann Romney speaks for me or anyone I know, especially if she backs her husbands ideas to limit womans rights.

April 13th, 2012, 3:22 pm #9

It's not physically or intellectually the hardest.

I agree it is the most important job. It has to be, just by the simple argument that any job you can name that you think might be more important, a good mother can raise a child to do that job.

The First Lady's "every woman needs to be respected," line is also tripe. So, by that logic, Casey Anthony needs to be respected simply because she has a vagina and it once passed a kid?

Respect is earned. Gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., should never preclude a person from the respect they deserve, but none of those things guarantee respect on their own.

AnonoBoBo
AnonoBoBo

April 13th, 2012, 3:30 pm #10

Spoken like a true childless man.

Slow clap