Anyone watching MasterChef?

Arwen
Arwen

July 12th, 2011, 1:59 am #1

What do you guys think?

Ben may be the dark horse that could win this

July 12th, 2011, 5:33 am #2

You're right.

I like him to win. Or maybe the blond lady that did the banana split cake.

Flibbertigibbet

Ginny
Ginny

July 12th, 2011, 6:12 pm #3

What do you guys think?

Ben may be the dark horse that could win this
I watched it a few times. I saw the episode where they made sausages on the beach.

I just like watching it with guitar boy because we call eachother Gordon Ramsey insults for fun. His favorite is to yell at me "YOU STUPID DONKEY!" With the accent, of course.

Arwen
Arwen

July 12th, 2011, 6:21 pm #4

I completely missed it last year and, I have to say, I am really enjoying it. Much more than Hell's Kitchen because these people really know what they are doing (for the most part). Plus, the judges explain what they are looking for and how they are judging didshes.

And the challenges are quite something. "Something French?" No clue. A 6 layer cake from memory? I wouldn't even know how to make the cake part without a recipe, nevermind what to fill it with and icing? No clue. I am one of those people who is completely lost without a recipe. I don't even know which of my endless spices to put in an omelet so I just stick with black pepper

Makes me really want to take a serious cooking class, I mean I have taken a couple of fun Thai cooking classes but one where you really learn the basics...as long as no one yells at me. I even bought the MasterChef app

Ginny
Ginny

July 12th, 2011, 6:30 pm #5

Frosting is easy, one of those things you can just look at and tell it's right. Baking a cake without a recipe would be pretty hard, though. Mine would probably come out flat and I'd have to say I lied and was trying to make a torte.

Arwen
Arwen

July 12th, 2011, 6:36 pm #6

LOL!

They had to make cakes last night which stayed as one piece when cut. I held my breath for a couple of the more lopsided ones. The yummiest ones (to me) were the banana split one $8 mentioned and one that was a pumpkin spongecake but then again I am a sucker for anything pumpkin.

I make loaves for people for Christmas sometimes and I couldn't tell you the first thing about how I do them without the recipe.

I really don't think I could do icing from memory. I am imaging icing sugar and butter maybe? Let me google...

Vanilla icing for cookies or pound cake.

Ingredients:
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, soft
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Preparation:
Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended. Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more confectioners' sugar. Spread icing or drizzle on warm cookies or pound cake.

Doesn't seem that tough

Arwen
Arwen

July 12th, 2011, 6:39 pm #7

...imagining not imaging

Ginny
Ginny

July 12th, 2011, 6:40 pm #8

LOL!

They had to make cakes last night which stayed as one piece when cut. I held my breath for a couple of the more lopsided ones. The yummiest ones (to me) were the banana split one $8 mentioned and one that was a pumpkin spongecake but then again I am a sucker for anything pumpkin.

I make loaves for people for Christmas sometimes and I couldn't tell you the first thing about how I do them without the recipe.

I really don't think I could do icing from memory. I am imaging icing sugar and butter maybe? Let me google...

Vanilla icing for cookies or pound cake.

Ingredients:
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sift before measuring
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, soft
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Preparation:
Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended. Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more confectioners' sugar. Spread icing or drizzle on warm cookies or pound cake.

Doesn't seem that tough
That's pretty much it. Sometimes I use lemon juice instead of Milk. For a fluffy cake type frosting I'd probably leave the milk out all together.

You can get crazy with boiled frostings and stuff but what you posted above is probably what I would do if I was put in that situation and told "make frosting".

I could probably get out a reasonably good cookie on the fly because I make them pretty often but I don't make cakes enough to be able to wing it.

BTW, I made these this weekend for a friend whose mom died. They were pretty amazing. You can use chocolate pudding instead of Valilla. This recipe is probably better halved, it made about a million. I took some to work, gave her a bunch, and still had leftovers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/award-winn ... etail.aspx

Anny
Anny

July 12th, 2011, 6:59 pm #9

I just bookmarked that recipe Ginny. Thanks. As I have said, I cannot bake, but that looks pretty easy. I wanted to make a big batch of cookies to send with SO-BOO next week on his over the road trip.

Arwen
Arwen

July 12th, 2011, 7:05 pm #10

Those look so good. Thanks