Moderator: Mad Dog

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:19 pm #51

WM4 is also significant for giving Sam Houston a WrestleMania Moment (tm).

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:25 pm #52

How about Sika's leopard print tights? Sika got custom tights for Mania years before it became a thing. I'm 100% sure he's never worn them on TV before this.

Still on Mania 4... Bob Uecker is THE Gold standard for celebrities in wrestling. Looks to be having a good time and is willing to take a lot of comedic abuse.

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm #53

Funny you're watching WM 4 as I might review that next. I enjoyed the opening battle royal as like you said Uecker was having a blast. Monsoon legit laughed at em quite a few times.

Thank God the commentary is good as this will be a chore to get through.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm #54

Wow. We've never caught Sika's tight, all these years?! Shame.

Hmm... did the Harts also get new tights? Before they had been in a mostly all-pink singlet. I think they switched to the black singlet with pink legs for WM4. But they were always swapping out their tights, so it's tough to tell. At Royal Rumble 1988, they were still in pink singlets with pink legs.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:57 pm #55

Possibly. I'm not a fan of the black singlet over the pink tights, and thankfully it didn't last long. Fashion: The undisputed champion of things to whine about in wrestling lol

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 2:56 pm #56

Scrooge McSuck wrote:Fashion: The undisputed champion of things to whine about in wrestling lol
Oh crap. Around 2001, when I was Internetting about Wrestling on Message Boards, there was some guy who used to tally the color of Lex Luger's trunks. Random stuff like: "Lex Luger and his yellow tights beat Brian Pillman by DQ".

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm #57

The Mixed Match Challenge has been one of the more enjoyable "shows" WWE does lately, so of course, those in charge are souring on it because viewership on Facebook Watch isn't too strong. "See? wrestlers having fun doesn't draw viewers! MORE SCRIPTING PROMOS! MORE SCRIPTING!!!!!"

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 5:04 pm #58

The WrestleMania Marathon continues with 5.

Holy FUCK, the segment with Piper, Brother Love, and Robert Downey Jr. is just a miserable waste of time. Audience for 1, anyone? No one cared to see Bruce Prichard's Piper impersonation, or to see him run around in red underwear.

Take away Hogan/Savage, and you have an unusual situation for a WWF show where all the heavily promoted matches are garbage or unremarkable, and most of the better performances came from the under-card filler.

Gene Okerlund is no longer the worst person to open the show with the Anthem, pledge of allegiance, or any other traditional songs used in that spot.

Run-DMC were also a colossal waste of time considering the audience they performed for.

Unlike 4, and 6 coming up, 5 holds no special place for me. It was never a tape we rented often, and its right before I have vivid memories of watching wrestling (Spring of 1990 is where that takes shape, hence my choice with the WWF Flashbacks starting at that point).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 6:14 pm #59

WM5 was, "just a buncha' matches".

Jake the Snake vs. Andre with Big John Studd as special ref. Gee, ya' don't think something will happen with Andre and Studd, do ya?!

Probably the only really surprising result was Rude beating Warrior, and the way it happened. Heenan grabbed the leg...umm, okay?

Bushwhackers beating the Rougeaus, cleanly, was another.

As a young teen, I thought the PoP would go over and win the belts. Nowadays, I look at it, and it's blatantly obvious that Demolition was slated to win. Especially with Mr. Fuji in the mix.

I'd say the King Haku push officially ended, as well. When you get beat by babyface Hercules, your days at the top of the card are over. I actually thought this match would end in a double DQ and start a Herc vs. Haku feud. Seemed logical to have Herc, the former "slave", fighting against an evil king.

Also, I THINK they got every significant roster member on the WM5 card. The Young Stallions were still around, but not as a full-time team. I think one of the Bolsheviks was out, as well. Nikolai had been working some solo house shows at the time. But like I said... every SIGNIFICANT roster member.

I have a very special spot for WM6...that I've babbled about, ad naseum.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 6:30 pm #60

The only significant snub from the night might be Koko B. Ware. Even the Brooklyn Brawler appeared on the show! Hillbilly Jim was a weird "shows up sometimes" guy, so he's excluded, and one of the Bolsheviks was injured, so there's no spot for one of them on Mania in solo action. Powers and Roma could get the Koko argument, but Koko was marketable.