Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 11th, 2011, 8:59 pm #731

Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virgina
Semi-documentary/reality flick about a clan of hillbillies in WV. Where fighting, drinking, smoking, fucking and getting high are all family values. Have an argument with someone? Go get a shotgun and shoot him a few times. Best scene involves a Taco Bell drive-thru where the Whites are in a car and see their friends, inside. So they start yelling through the glass and have a conversation about CPS taking their baby. It's currently available right now on Netflix Instant Queue.

Babies
Warning: if you are living with a female who hasn't reproduced, age 25-38, do NOT see this movie with her. It's another reality flick, where a guy filmed four different babies, around the world, for one year. It's basically Animal Planet's "Puppy Bowl", but with Babies. Avoid.

Black Swan
It tried to be like a female version of "Fight Club", with a mild duality issue. But when the creepiest thing is a bleeding finger, it's not the "Thriller" it's made out to be. Not a chick flick, not a "thriller" and shouldn't be an "Oscar vehicle" either. Just a rather lame, forgettable movie.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 12th, 2011, 6:27 pm #732

A Boy and his Dog
I saw this about 25 years ago, on WGN during a sick day one morning, when Don Johnson Mania was running wild. It's from 1975 and probably one of his first starring roles (sorry, if I'm not 100% on my Don Johnson History).

I love post-apocalyptic movies and I love the man/dog connection (well, when it's not being bastardized for slapstick, ala "Turner & Hooch" or "K-9"), so this was etched in my memory after that one random viewing. Decided to finally watch it; as an adult; last night. While I recalled some scenes and elements vividly, I must've been really sick or sleepy when I saw it as a wee lad, because some of the stuff seemed entirely new. Most likely, it was edited for WGN, or else I simply didn't understand some of the concepts.

It's a low budget movie with bad cinematography and bad sound (although the latter might be due to time and not production). Most scenes are so dark and shown at such awful angles, that you really can't tell WHERE they are. But the gimmick and appeal of this flick is the connection between Don Johnson's "Vic" and his telepathic, uber-intelligent mutt, "Blood". The scenes where Vic and Blood are conversing steal the show and I couldn't get enough of them. Johnson does a great job of basically talking to himself. The dog's amazing, too, as his trainer did an equally great job. You really believe that these two are talking to each other.

The plot's somewhat controversial. Vic and Mutt have a symbiosis; due to his enhancements, Blood can't find food and needs Vic to provide for him. In turn, Blood uses his senses to track women for Vic. Vic basically rapes them, but even sicker is that this action seems to be the norm for this world. In an early scene, Vic finds a woman who has been "used" and killed. Vic's not upset at finding a dead body, he's upset that he wasn't in on the train. They also search for their own Never-Never-Land of "Over-the-Hill"-- a place with no radioactivity where the deer and the antelope play.

The duo eventually separates in the movie's saddest scene. Vic runs off to pursue a woman in the subterranean "Downunder" complex. As expected, the movie really begins to lag during their separation.

So while the concepts and gimmick are engrossing, the rest of the movie really isn't. The "action" scenes are either poorly-lit or of no real interest and the "Downunder" segment almost seems like an entirely different movie. It's not great, but in the better half of early 70's sci-fi flicks (pre-George Lucas). I enjoyed it more than "Logan's Run", but not as much as "Silent Running".

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

January 13th, 2011, 7:46 pm #733

Dinner For Schmucks:
The wife and I watched this the past weekend, wound up ffing thru a bit of it as it just got tedius. Nowhere near as funny as I thought it'd be.

Inception
We enjoyed this one, and pretty much called the ending, too. Decent watch.

Thunderstruck
I asked for this one for Christmas, and my honey didn't dissappoint, (other than Amazon not shipping it until 12/30). Have any of you seen this Australian movie about AC/DC fans? MANY, many funny stuff in this flick. Watch it just for the final concert, especially after the guitar solo starts. I just got chills again thinking about it. Very cool, indeed.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

January 18th, 2011, 5:24 pm #734

Knucklehed
Wife and I watched this over the weekend. I laughed a lot. She laughed some, too. Didn't recognise Show until he took the wig off. She thought he did a good job. I LOVED when the bad guy went to the head nun when trying to adopt the little kid: "We've got everything, blahblahblah, (looks right at nun) HBO, blahblahblah...." Laura even laughed at that one as she was one of the leads on The Larry Sanders Show on HBO. Little things like that seem to permeate thru WWE films. I dig it.

SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty
SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty

January 30th, 2011, 6:42 pm #735

Harry Brown

Great film with Michael Caine, Plan B, Liam Cunningham & Emily Mortimer starring. Kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 1st, 2011, 5:32 am #736

Everybody's Fine
Robert DeNiro, a widower, tries reconnecting with his kids across the country. Starts off like "About Schmidt", but it becomes very sappy. Not saying it's bad, but it's something you could watch with your significant other.

Oh, and the geography's a little screwy-- DeNiro travels by train from Chicago to "Denver"....and passes through buttes and mesas that are actually about 400 miles west of Denver. But I suppose showing the train passing through Nebraska or eastern Colorado wouldn't be too eye-catching. Also, he arrives at the "Denver Symphony Hall", and there is no such thing. Not sure where that scene was filmed.

Salt
Completely worthless. The first half of the film is just a big chase, with nothing too exciting or innovative. Lame conspiracy plot that feels like it was lifted from a Dale Brown book. The whole purposes of the flick is to show Angelina Jolie in "action sequences". But like I said, there's nothing engrossing.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 11th, 2011, 4:48 pm #737

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Took a slight nod from "Superman II", since Supes has someone he can go to-to-toe with: the Nuclear Man (not "Firestorm"). But their battles don't have that gigantic stage like "II". Superman fighting a new villain and the return of Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor --"The greatest criminal mind of the 20th century"-- sound like fun, but the story is so misguided and weak that it's a big ol' meltdown.

Superman rounds up all the nukes in the world, puts 'em in a big net, and throws them into the sun. Yes, that's his plan for global nuclear disarmament. Toss in another 45 minutes spent on a romantic subplot with Muriel Hemingway's "Lacy Warfield" and things really get bogged down. But wait, you also get Jon Cryer as Lex's "hip" nephew Lenny. Who makes analogies to breakdancing and other "cool" trends of... 1987.

The plot seemed to borrow its concept from the comic book storyline of "Firestorm" in 1986. In that year-long arc, Professor Stein was dying, so Ronnie Raymond wanted to give him his dying wish of nuclear disarmament. Firestorm went on a global quest to stop nukes...but ended up being nuked himself. It was a pretty gripping story for the time, so this Superman movie seemed like a rip-off of it. "Nuclear Man" who wasn't Firestorm and a plot that was only vaguely similar. It's like someone read the 3-line solicitations for 1986 Firestorm comics and used the concepts to make a movie.

Hackman's usually a kick as Luthor and while he has those same mannerisms of the earlier movies, he doesn't have any truly funny quotes or one-liners. Most of the film I spent waiting for Lex to say something amusing and it never happened.

Also, Margot Kidder was never super-gorgeous in the first 3 movies, but she is REALLY showing her age in this flick. I don't think it was until Teri Hatcher came along in 1993 that people began thinking: "hey, Lois Lane can be hot".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 1st, 2011, 3:50 pm #738

MacGruber
Sad to admit, but I actually umm...marked out... when Chris Jericho was introduced. Okay, so I just said "Chris Jericho?! All right, this might be fun". But that didn't last long, as he was quickly gone as part of the movie's best gag. The remaining gags weren't mostly toilet humor sort of stuff and the character's gimmick of making Wacky Shit from Ordinary Stuff wasn't played up much. Had a few one-liner comebacks, but if you've seen the trailer, then you've seen the movie. So it's not worth your time and 100% forgettable.

Machete
Why do I dig my Main Chickie? We went to a ski condo for the weekend and she packed this movie for me (okay, so she also packed "Twilight" for herself; each of us fell asleep in the other's movie).

But unfortunately, this movie is another "if you've seen the trailer, then you've seen the movie". Did it really need two hours? The big fight at the end reminded me a little bit of "Army of Darkness". The two-wheeler food cart had me rolling. Also scored points with me because I've been inside the actual church that was shown in the flick (it's in downtown Austin, but the interior was different for the movie).

When the movie picked up it seemed like Danny Trejo (Machete) was a secondary character, as he played second fiddle to Jessica Alba and Michelle Rodriguez. It's pretty much a live-action cartoon, though. Along the lines of "The Expendables".

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

March 6th, 2011, 2:46 am #739

My Breakfast With Blassie - I don't know if I'd classify something with a run length of under an hour a movie, but whatever. I've been on a Kaufman kick after watching some of his stuff feuding with Jerry Lawler, and figured this might be interesting. I've seen My Dinner With Andre, the movie this is spoofing, so it's just a laugher to go from an artsy ritz movie based around conversation in a fine dining restaurant to two guys sitting around having breakfast in some dive. Fred Blassie saying he wanted to "throw up on that asshole" might be the greatest line in history never to be beaten into the ground.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 7th, 2011, 11:24 pm #740

Anvil: the Story of Anvil
With that ridiculously redundant subtitle, I thought this flick HAD to be a joke; like Spinal Tap. It starts out with interviews from Slash, Lemmy, Scott Ian, Tom Araya and Lars Ulrich... all wondering why the band Anvil never made it big. Since these guys all appear on VH1 shows, I thought they were in on the “joke” and deadpanning things. Reminded me of the mockumentary that was put out for the fictional “Rock Band Band” to promote the Rock Band video games. Video footage is shown of Anvil at a big Japanese festival in 1984, with Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and the Scorpions.

But, turns out, Anvil’s real and I just never heard of ‘em. I may have seen their name in an old magazine, or even in the Columbia House monthly sales flyer-- but I was drawing a complete blank. The movie then follows the two remaining original members and their quest to finally make it; circa 2005.

It’s evident halfway through why they never made it; they were somewhat idiotic with their managerial choices. They “just wanted to rock” and it didn’t sound like they ever considered the business side of things.

There are some funny scenes: like the two “original fans” and the poorly-attended “Monsters of Transylvania” concert that the band performs at. My favorite scene was when the lead singer/guitarist, “Lips”, runs into Carmine Appice (or some other dinosaur) and says “hey, remember me?! I used to play a guitar solo with a dildo! Y’know, a woman’s dildo...” . Appice completely no-sells him. But it’s interesting how the metal scene and the appeal of “making it” completely ran over two guys.