Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 20th, 2018, 2:37 pm #1121

Extinction (2018)
Yup, it's a another Netflix movie...so prepare for turds. Stars Michael Pena, the likable guy from a bunch of recent movies; so it has that going for it. At its most basic, the movie's about a sudden alien invasion. Yet it's more like an extra-length episode of "Black Mirror". 

The first half of the movie almost makes you want to turn it off, as there's a LOT of focus on two whiny kids. I mean "whiny" in the most negative way. It's also full of darkly-lit scenes where their dad (Pena) constantly shouts "go! Go! Stop! Wait! Run over to your mom! Quick, go go go!" Almost at the exact half-way point is when a little twist arrives, which doesn't necessarily save the movie, but keeps you from turning it off. As the twist was about to happen, I thought: "well, if they want to salvage this, they should have ___________"...and that's exactly what happened.

At the end, I felt like it was more of a pilot for a series. I certainly hope not. Although I could absolutely see Netflix doing just that. Not something I'd want to re-visit. 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 27th, 2018, 4:07 pm #1122

Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)
Another stream-of-consciousness "average day" film from Richard Linklater. While he's done stuff like "School of Rock", this is more of his traditional style, begun in "Slacker", then "Dazed & Confused". It's supposed to be "Dazed", but in the 80's. Late August, 1980, to be precise and the first weekend before freshman college courses begin. 

I'm not a fan of this style, though. Everything is FULL FORCE and very few parts feel like the normal weekend it's supposed to be. Example: they go to a DISCO club... they go to a COUNTRY bar... they go to a PUNK nightclub... they end up at an ARTSY FARTSY party. I had a real problem trying to justify the Artsy party, as everybody had elaborate costumes on a Sunday night.... not something you'd expect on the first weekend before class. It's like the director was more concerned with cramming all this 1980 nostalgia, desperately wants to hang on to his youth, and made that the focus. There are some very scripted Animal-House type of antics; some are mildly amusing, but the bulk are not very funny.

They try to call out that "hanging on to your youth" issue, when a 30-year old guy is busted for masquerading as a college athlete. Somewhat reminiscent of Matthew McConaughey's creepy character from "Dazed". But when the rest of the entire movie is the director trying to hold on to his youth, any message seems hollow.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 17th, 2018, 8:28 pm #1123

Prisoners of the Lost Universe (1982)
An incredibly awful b-movie. Stars Richard Hatch ("Apollo" from Battlestar Galactica and...."Tom Zarek" from Battlestar Galactica. So, what a career), doing his best Harrison Ford impersonation. He's some sort of electrician/handyman/coach who gets zapped to an alternate dimension, along with a female TV personality and a wacked-out scientist. Sounds like Flash Gordon, in that regard, but what results is a terrible mash-up of bad sword n' sorcery with bad sci-fi. I can't really fault them, because movies like this were a dime-a-dozen in the 80's.

I knew something was up when; in the opening scenes set in "Los Angeles"; all cars had the steering wheel on the right side. Things got crazier from that point on, and I couldn't stop watching.

There are a lot of plot holes and laughable antics. For instance, when shot, Hatch raises his hands in the air and dives off-screen. Hatch also has a TOOL BELT and uses a simple spool of wire to climb up a mountain. There are some weird "savage natives" with red glowing eyes, and they use that stock-audio "wildcat howl" for their vocals (if you hear it, you know it. It was used in the SNL "MacGruder" sketches). Some cartoony sounds effects as the natives fall off a cliff and a big "BOING" when a monster gets kicked in the junk. So, you have to think the film crew KNEW they were crafting crap, at some point.

Yet don't tell that to John Saxon. He appears as the "evil barbarian warlord" and is totally INTO his character. The other "actors" just seem to be reciting their lines, but Saxon isn't ashamed to take his creepy character seriously. 

It was all filmed in South Africa and was (most likely) a straight to cable TV movie, over here. Definitely "MST3K fodder" (or "Svengoolie" if you're from Chicago). Tubi.TV is just full of amazing cable time-filler crap like this. Yes, I gave Tubi.tv a free plug in a previous post, but it's worth mentioning again!

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 24th, 2018, 2:54 am #1124

Crazy Rich Asians
Further proof that I will sit through ANYTHING at Alamo Drafthouse. I'm all for mixing things up and having an all-Asian cast, so that's positive. Yet this movie is terrible. Terrible. Terrible. In other words, it's terrible. It's one of those "oh-ho, wait until you meet my family" rom-coms. And it's terrible.The biggest problem, to me, was that the main male lead was SO cheesy -- a perfect little underwear model with a heart of gold, million dollar smile, who always says the right things. He also takes off his shirt, every 15 minutes. It's like the directors were more concerned with giving this schmuck a push than anything else. Terrible.

Akwafina has a supporting role, and she was probably the only thing I even remotely enjoyed. She 's pretty funny and stole the scenes she was in. I kinda' feel she's a star-in-the-making and will be pretty well known in a year or two.

By the way, this movie was terrible.

Oh, and Alamo ran some informative pre-movie clips about "Asian cinema", in general. Good stuff and I felt like I learned something...but they said The Rock can, technically, be called "Asian". Hmm.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 24th, 2018, 3:20 am #1125

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
If you'd didn't know it, you'd think this was a Coen Brothers flick. Excellent mix of morality, mortality and ethics issues, with lots of dark humor mixed in. Great cast and everyone just nails their roles perfectly. Honestly, one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Highest recommendation.