Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 13th, 2017, 4:28 pm #1091

Thor: Ragnarok
Completely fun 'n ridiculous for 2+ hours. Vintage Super Hero Stupidiy. And I loved it. I consider Thor and Hulk two of my least favorite of Marvel's big characters. Yet they carried this movie. I always thought Thor was an especially tough sell as a movie (his first movie was a little un-even and inaccessible), yet Chris Hemsworth won over the audience in the first scene. Thor himself was quite funny (and that's something I thought I'd never say).

Call it "Robert Downey Syndrome" but folks seem to respond well to the smart-ass, quick-witted, funny hero. See also: Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy. You can surmise that Thor became all goofy by hanging out with the Avengers on Midgard for the past few years. Ditto Loki (especially in his ruse as Odin). The only tough sell I had was Hela-- she's supposedly been locked away forever, yet talks like a contemporary smart-ass. I had to No-Prize it and say that she's been watching everything, so thus her change to modern language and smart-assery.

There were a lot of "in-universe" references. Call-back to "Point Break". Loki pissing himself over Thor getting Hulk Smashed. Black Widow calming down Hulk. A mention of Xandar. Plus Man-Thing, Beta Ray Bill, Ares, the Bi-Beast (who I had to look up), and Some Other Guy. I haven't seen "Guardians 2" and "Spider-Man; Homecoming", yet I'm on-board for whatever's next.

My pitch for "Thor 4": 2+ hours of Thor and friends smashing bad guys, all set to the tune of "Immigrant Song" on infinite repeat. I'm in for $12 on that. Now make it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 30th, 2017, 4:57 pm #1092

Fight Club
The DVD's been on my Amazon "Wish List" since 2001, but I saw it at Target for $5 and decided to FINALLY cross it off my list. I don't think I'd watched it since I saw it in the theater in 1999. Back then, it absolutely blew my mind with the whole Tyler Durden swerve. I also remember talking to somebody at work about it, then, and they said: "I kept seeing some guy, early on, and nobody believed me". I also really didn't know what Ikea was in 1999 (Ikea didn't hit my town until 2010).

This time, I saw "that guy", as there were little split-second shots of Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) popping up in random scenes. Also noticed that while Tyler interacted with Marlo (Helena Bonham-Carter) on-screen, he never SPOKE to her. The morning scene with Marlo and "Jack" is also a giveaway. Appreciated the Ikea references, more, as well.

Everybody knows this now, but I hadn't noticed that Ed Norton's character is never given a name. The "I am Jack's____" is the closest thing, but there's no confirmation that "Jack" is his name. When he calls Marlo on the phone, he says: "it's me".

I will call bullshit on the urban myth that there's a Starbucks cup in EVERY scene. Yes, they're in there, but not EVERY scene.

The Blu-Ray/DVD disc also has an absolutely great gag/prank/rib when you cue up the disc menu. That was worth 5 bucks to me, right there.

So yes, this movie has aged well. I still think it's one of the best movies of the past 20-30 years.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 6th, 2017, 6:28 pm #1093

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
Had seen clips of this, but had never sat down to actually WATCH it. It's a "reality show" (not necessarily a documentary) of their attempts at recording from 2001 to 2003. At times, you're almost cheering for the band to split apart and end. They all come across like immature douchebags.

It's a little funny how their therapy sessions affect them:
"Wow, that sounds kick ass! While I honor your feelings about what you did here, can you respect my opinion to change it?".

To me, the most interesting parts were the recruitment of a new bass player. Plus the sudden therapy appearance of Dave Mustaine. Of course, the whole movie culminates in the mess that was "St. Anger", so it's tough to leave with the positive opinion the directors were hoping for.

Bit of a tangent, but while my Metallica fandom died in 1992, I think "St. Anger" was more or less a James Hetfield solo album. With the way his vocals are featured prominently, it doesn't' help the steaming pile that was the music. They were definitely influenced by the "nu-metal" of the time. You can't expect James' vocals to enhance your music, ever.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 14th, 2017, 2:45 am #1094

With the Disaster Artist coming out, I got the little lady to watch The Room with me.

5 minutes in, laughing at the terrible acting.

25 minutes in, the "I did not hit her, I did nooooooooooot... oh, Hi Mark" line reduced to tears.

Then it just went downhill because you can only laugh at the odd, inconsistent dialogue, and the recycling of the same scenes over and over (and over and over) so much before it gets repetitive.

Honestly, should've just with watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of it, otherwise I might not have been kicked out of the bedroom for a rare misfire of questionable taste (the so bad, it's entertaining genre).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 15th, 2017, 5:46 pm #1095

I just can't get into watching "The Room". Even the "Best of" clips on the Internets. Will probably watch "The Disaster Artist" in the next year, though.

Surrogates (2010)
I think that was the year. No idea how this got in our Netflix DVD queue. As it is, we've cut our plan back and aren't doing the DVD's anymore.

Anyways, this is a futuristic sci-fi wannabe allegory about people using technology....with Bruce Willis. Everybody stays at home, plugged into sensors and go through life with their robotic "surrogates". It's intentionally funny that all the surrogates look like fashion models...and Bruce Willis. Of course, Willis breaks from using his surrogate and exposes a conspiracy to shut down the entire system. Really not an entertaining actioner or "allegory". One trivial note, though: I think this contains the first live scene between Willis and Ving Rhames since the famous Butch/Marcellus face-off in 1994.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
I really don't get these movies, as they seem like too much stuff slapped on the screen. While watching it, I kept thinking: "well, I GUESS we should hope they pull this off". But the plotting and pacing is all over the place, making it tough to follow at times. I suppose the main appeal of these flicks is seeing/hearing the banter between the primary characters. That's okay, but I really wanted something a little more engaging and exciting for the story.

Kinda' bothered me that all the sets (save for one flashback) were digitally created or digitally altered. Just make it a frickin' full-on cartoon.

Also, I haven't read the modern relaunched "Guardians" that came out circa 2004. With Star-Lord, Gamora, Bug, and what these movies are based on. I still think of the Guardians as Vance Astro, Nikki, Charlie-27, Yondu, Martinex and Starhawk/Aleta. So I completely missed that Sylvester Stallone's character was supposed to be Starhawk. A post-credits scene showed...umm, most... of the original Guardians getting back together. But I had to look it up to see if that was the case. I thought: "umm, maybe that shiny guys is Martinex". You can pack your superhero movie full of references, but the audience shouldn't need a scorecard to define them all.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 17th, 2018, 3:44 am #1096

Tiger Raid
A weird Irish flick about two mercenaries, out to do a kidnapping in the Middle East. It's basically a three person cast, and the first 60 minutes is the two main characters (Joe and Paddy) driving an army cargo truck, saying "fuck" a lot, and talking about their past relationships. There's also the mysterious "Dave", who's the boss behind the whole thing; yet never seen.

A few twists arrive and the 65 minute mark with the introduction of the third character... and you're kinda' flip-flopping on which character is in the right. So it was interesting in that regard, but overall seemed melodramatic. I say this about a LOT of movies, but this would've been great as a short film. As a 90 minute feature it's quite bad.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 26th, 2018, 5:18 pm #1097

All over the place with this post:

Black Panther
I'll agree with the consensus opinion that it's pretty good. While there are little connections to the larger Marvel U, they are miniscule and don't burden or affect the plot. All you need to know is that T'challa's dad was killed in a bombing; not that it was in "Civil War" or that T'challa was after Bucky in that movie. This is basically a self-contained and accessible superhero flick. You can kinda' predict the outcome, but there are very few slow parts. Lots of cool visuals, entertaining characters and action. There's even an underlying and positive SOCIAL COMMENTARY. Can't ask for more.

Ingrid Goes West
An indie "dark comedy" with Aubrey Plaza (aka: "April Ludgate from Parks & Rec")...only without her usual sarcasm. It's essentially a 90 minute commercial for Instagram as that plays a huge part in the story and eventual resolution. Nothing really funny or thought-provoking, despite the movie's efforts to do so.

I did like one scene where they go to some hipster restaurant and the waiter says: "how may I nourish you, today". Oh, and O'Shea Jackson ("Ice Cube Junior") is in it, as a guy obsessed with 1995's "Batman Forever". Funny because it's so off-beat.

Surviving Bigfoot
I love the concept of Bigfoot/Sasquatch and it usually fascinates me. Yet, this is done by a guy with a history of hoaxes and resembles "Blair Witch Project" more than anything else. The opening segment is hilarious as the guy talks about his "skillset", which is like a Boy Scout reading off his merit badges. He also likes to drive around in one of those amphibious Argo ATVs and use drones. Of course, every time he tries to film a Sasquatch, he runs out of film storage, his camera is kicked away or some other excuse.

He also makes animated maps of where each Sasquatch roams... which no real rhyme or reason, other than He Knows This! He tries for a signature scene with a self-camera shot at night: "when you're out here-- you can Feel the Fear (tm)!" Imagine if Dwight Schrute (the character, not the actor) had one of those reality outdoor survival shows...there ya' go.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 6th, 2018, 10:26 pm #1098

Detroit
Yeah, it's about as uplifting as a colonoscopy. Focusing primarily on the Aligers Motel incident of the 1967 Detroit Riots-- which may be considered a dirty secret to some (my Old Lady had no idea the riots even happened). It basically becomes a real-life horror movie, in the middle section of the film.

The ending condenses all the various trials of the incident into one. One character, Melvin Dismukes (John Boyega, aka "Finn"), probably deserves an entire movie of his own. Boyega does his best Denzel impression in several scenes and it works. At first I thought another character, Larry Reed Cleveland, was added for dramatic purposes... so I was shocked to discover that he was real.

This is a very troubling movie, but one that you should see.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 8th, 2018, 4:32 pm #1099

Death Race 2050 (2016)
Either an update, sequel, or re-boot of the original 70's flick. It's billed as 1 of the 3 in all marketing for it. I watched the original about 5 years ago and enjoyed it. This, however, is nothing more than a frame-by-frame remake of the original, with a few "modern" additions. Namely, cheesy special effects and some new characters swapped in for the old. It's still Frankenstein, it's still a cross-country race with cartoony cars, and the ending is still the same.

Hate to say it, but the 2008 Jason Statham "Deathrace" flick is better.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 12th, 2018, 3:28 pm #1100

Beerfest (2006)
From the "Super Troopers Guys", Broken Lizard. It's better than "Club Dread", but not by much. All the guys seem to be in that awkward age from about 35-40 where you realize that you're not "cool" anymore. Which may be why the gist of this movie's humor seems to be angled towards "frat boy antics" and them trying to rekindle their "wild" days. "Dude, remember when we in college and did some crazy drinking stuff?! Yeah, let's make a movie!"

There's a lot of intentional stereotype "humor". Remember all those crappy ethnic jokes from the 80's? Like the "Remember the Alamo" joke? Well, it's that sort of humor. The Germans all wear lederhosen, the Canadians wear hockey jerseys, the Mexicans dress like a Tejano band, etc.

There are some good humor elements, though. Mostly Kevin Heffernan ("Farva"), who's sort of like a John Belushi/John Candy mix (but just SORTA'...so don't get too snotty). His funniest scene was probably his most subtle-- at a college party during a game of "I Never". There's a recurring joke and several nods to the 1981 movie "Das Boot", too. Still, don't know if I recommend it. Proceed with caution, I guess.