Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 8:48 pm #31

CultureSonar list? I'm thinking it's this one:
http://www.culturesonar.com/80s-tv-shows/

If so, it has a Clear publication date of December 11, 2016.

So yes, Bill Cosby's problems probably led to the show being omitted, in both cases. It's similar to leaving out Chris Benoit on any "best of the 90's" wrestler lists. "Cosby Show" was very popular and progressive. I'd say it probably be Top 10, were it not for Cosby's recent problems.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

September 1st, 2018, 6:37 am #32

Cosby was found guilty after the articles were written. Yes, it was heavily suspected at the times the articles were written 

I assumed cosby was innocent. Same way OJ was 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 2nd, 2018, 9:30 pm #33

Officially found guilty after the articles... but the allegations that made everybody dislike him happened before the articles. Thus the omission.

The general public did not withhold their opinion on him until the trial. People soured on him almost immediately.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2018, 10:12 am #34

Yeah I'll never watch a Benoit match again cause of what he did. Same with Cosby. Just figured the shows were more based on viewers back then 

But as you pointed out The Rolling Stones article was based on readers votes. So your views make sense 

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2018, 9:36 pm #35

Not to get too far off topic, but what differentiates Benoit from Cosby to me is that Benoit suffered traumatic brain injuries from his in-ring career that resulted in him doing something horrific in his last hours alive, while Cosby was an active rapist over decades. If I watch a Benoit match from Nitro in 1996, I'm not watching someone who had bodies buried in his back yard, while if I watch The Cosby Show, I'm watching someone who had already committed those crimes and would continue to do so. I don't go out of my way to watch Benoit matches and I fully support anyone who doesn't want to see him again. 

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm #36

Cosby, cognizant serial sexual abuser for years

Benoit, brain turned to mush kills family over a weekend. 

It's apples and bananas, but I'd put Cosby slightly ahead in the scumbag department.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2018, 9:56 pm #37

As for the Cosby Show, it was OK.I found Cosby's humor a bit dry for my personal taste. 

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

September 3rd, 2018, 9:59 pm #38

I always enjoyed The Cosby Show as a kid. I wanted to move in with them. 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 4th, 2018, 5:02 am #39

I’m not saying Cosby = Benoit. Rather, that off-screen behavior can taint things.

I liked Cosby Show when it first began. Theo annoyed me, though.

I grew up on Cosby’s old comedy albums (Revenge, Wonderfullness, To Russel My Brother Who I slept With, etc). My immediate family had inside jokes about the chicken heart, Junior Barnes, Noah’s Ark and other Cosby routines. Disappointed that he turned out to be a scumbag.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

September 4th, 2018, 7:49 am #40

The actor who played Elvin (the oldest daughter sondra's  husband) went to my high school.  Going by his age, he would have graduated 7 years before me.  Probably the 3rd most famous alumni.  A distant third to Spike Lee and Brandon Steiner (Steiner sports)

JTG went to my high school as well, but 15 years after me .