Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm #21

The Supermarket 2-parter is my favorite episode! For the love of God and High School Football, they make fun of Jerry Mathers. :P

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 5:47 am #22

2 words. Kelly bundy 

Applegate is 2 years younger than me. So I certainly appreciated her looks

I really loved the show though. Thought the main characters all had very good chemistry with each other. 

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 5:49 am #23

I think if I looked at the gen best shows of 2000-2009 I will have watched two tops. Maybe zero. 80s would be the opposite since I was 11-20 during that decade.  You know I'm going to look, can't you feel it 

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 5:56 am #24

80s top 10 shows according to rolling stone magazine 

10) night court = watched most of them.  But the reruns 

9) moonlighting = nope

8) family ties = loved it 

7) the A-Team - nope

6) ALF = most of them

5) wonder years = maybe half 

4) married with children = I think of this as 90s. But yep

3) hill street blues = not once

2) Miami vice = nope

1) cheers = most of the time

Ok how the fuck is Cosby show not in the top 10. Wasn't it the highest rated show of all time at one point?

6) 

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 6:01 am #25

Culture sonar top 10 list. 

Shows that we're not on The Rolling Stones list

Dallas = loved it. It should be on any top 10 list from the 80s

St elsewhere = not one time

Garry s handling show = I'm stunned it's on there. I loved it though. Best theme song of all time 

Golden girls. Yep I did. A straight male under age 100 that loved it 

Cagney and Lacey = a few times. 

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 12:55 pm #26

I can think of a few dozen reasons by The Cosby Show might not be making anyone's top 10 list again anytime soon. 

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 2:42 pm #27

Night Court is a favorite of mine, unfortunately it isn't on in syndication and I don't think is available on any streaming service (like Hulu), so I have to plop down money on the DVD sets.

Golden Girls is awesome. The Hallmark channel has an 8 hour block of Golden Girls, Frasier, Cheers, and I Love Lucy in the middle of the night. Perfect lineup for me when the baby wakes up and/or I can't sleep.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm #28

torturedsoulv1 wrote:7) the A-Team - nope
In the word of Triple H: "whoa, whoa, whoaaaaa".  You've lost Cool Points with me :P

A-Team was a blast. Sure, it got comical with their recurring stunts and situations, but it was great for its time. In that regard, it probably hasn't aged well and wouldn't hold up to "new" viewers. You have to have been a fan in the 80's for it to have any kind of enjoyment. Love the intro: "in 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped...." I recite the full intro whenever anybody asks me about it.

I am not exaggerating when I say "Hill Street Blues may be the best TV show of all-time". It set the tone for all the subsequent "police procedural drama" shows (Law & Order, NYPD Blue, Blue Bloods, CSI, Homicide, etc.). Yet it's still unique in that it had a lot of good (and believable) humor. Excellent ensemble cast, as well. Would watch it, every Thursday night, with my folks from 1983 to 1985 or so. It's on Hulu and, IMO, still holds up well and can be accessible to "newbs". I'd strongly recommend it to anybody. Because of HSB, I usually end my conference calls with "hey, let's be careful out there".

I was going to mention "Kelly Bundy" in my original rebuttal about "Married with Children". I've simply never found Christina Applegate attractive. I was more of an Alyssa Milano guy, back then.

Yeah, Night Court was pretty good. Marsha Warfield and John Laroquette were great.

This isn't really related, but I've been watching "Hogan's Heroes" on Antenna TV, recently. I used to think that show was awesome, but it's not all that amazing. It's all Bob Crane fast-talking Colonel Klink. Still, it will always have one of the LEAST likely settings for a sitcom: a Nazi prison camp.

New one I never watched: "Family Matters". Steve Urkel became famous and was name-dropped in pop culture, a lot. I knew who he was from the commercials, but I never saw one episode of the show.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 7:50 pm #29

SamoaRowe wrote: I can think of a few dozen reasons by The Cosby Show might not be making anyone's top 10 list again anytime soon. 
Lists were before things came out about him .  That and both lists had the show around #15 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 31st, 2018, 8:42 pm #30

Looks like this was the list you cited:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-list ... 0s-177043/

Note that it is NOT "according to Rolling Stone", as it clearly states it was a "readers' poll".

It also shows a publication date of March 18, 2015. November 2014 is when the allegations about Cosby began surfacing. I remember, because for Halloween Havok that year I had written a column about the Fat Albert Halloween special. I felt a little uneasy, a month later.