Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 27th, 2018, 3:50 pm #11

Ditto on Friends. Seinfeld, on the other hand, I've probably watched more than any other non-animated TV series.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 27th, 2018, 11:30 pm #12

I tried to get into Friends sometime around 1997 and I just couldn't. I found the characters to be largely unlikable and I didn't relate to any of them. Also, I was 13, but when I've seen it here and there as an adult, I don't find it to be all that charming now either.

Around that same time I also got into Seinfeld and loved it. 

I think it was 1998 that we went to Maine for vacation and came back to find that we'd lost all of our local TV channels except for ABC and PBS. For about two years I lived off of those two stations before my parents finally signed us up for cable at the very beginning of 2000. That meant I watched all sorts of shows I probably might have tuned in for otherwise, including The Practice, The Drew Carey Show, Spin City, Whose Line is it Anyway, and pretty much every somewhat interesting sitcom. On PBS, I watched classic Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and the Red Green Show.

Starting in January 2000, I pretty much dropped all of those shows (except for the PBS shows) and watched a lot of WWF programming and... sigh...VH1. 

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 28th, 2018, 6:27 am #13

Never watched Friends either. Seinfeld I wasn't a big fan, but have probably seen half the shows

Didn't watch Frasier . Barely watched Cheers either 

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 28th, 2018, 6:39 am #14

So I googled the top 10 tv shows of the 90s.  Tried to get it by viewers but each site I found had a mix. But here's the consensus

Home improvement = nope

Seinfeld = 50/50

Friends = nope

Simpsons. = yeah. From the beginning until about 5 years ago

Fresh prince = nope

Law & order = yep

Boy meets world = nope

Full house = sometimes

Saved by the bell = ha ha no way

Was too old for that show

Married with children = one of my favorites of all time

Saved by the bell 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm #15

Yeah, "Fraser" and "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" are two biggies that I've never watched. "Fraser" falls into that post-1993 void for me, but I think "Fresh Prince" was a few years earlier.

Another biggie that I've never watched: "X-Files". Although my brother and his wife were big fans and dragged me to see the movie in...1998? So I guess that disqualifies me from saying I haven't seen it. But the TV show, itself...I have not watched.

"Cheers" used to be on, right after the 10 pm news in the early 90's, so like a lot of folks, I watched it. I remember watching the big finale, when it happened, and thinking: "well, it's still on, in re-runs. Don't think I'll miss it".

I hated "Home Improvement", but would still watch it. Like: "damn, this sucks...well, nothing else on and my folks are watching it. Guess I will, too".

Those 3 big PBS shows-- Dr. Who, Red Dwarf and Red Green-- were like the late night college-years veg-out for me. I'd channel-flip between MTV, the local UHF music shows ("Teletunes" or "Music Link"), Comedy Central, and PBS.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 28th, 2018, 2:18 pm #16

Oh-- 'Full House"--- never watched it and knew nothing of it. Until freshman year in 1992, when my roommate would religiously come home at 4:30, every day, to watch "Batman: the Animated Series" and then "Full House" in syndication. I began to hate that guy after two weeks. He was ruining "Batman" for me and then followed it up with that shitty sitcom. I was pissed, because I wanted to watch the newly-launched Sci-Fi channel and see Erin Grey on "Buck Rogers".

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 29th, 2018, 6:28 am #17

Xfiles was number 11 on the list. I never watched it either 

Cheers to me is an 80s show. I watched it in reruns like you did

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 29th, 2018, 8:08 pm #18

I largely haven't watched The X Files. It was another show I tried to get into for a while, but I lost the channel for a while and it wasn't really clicking with me anyways. 

I was watching Cheers on Netflix a few years ago. The reason I stopped was because I was watching it before going to bed and then I couldn't sleep because of the theme song playing through my head. 

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 30th, 2018, 1:58 am #19

I was too young for Cheers when it ended, but when I was an unemployed bum in 2005, I watched it during the 2-5 (AM) slot on Nick at Nite every day for months and grew very fond of it.

Never watched X-Files.

Loved Full House as a kid. Didn't age well, not even for a sitcom.

Married w/ Children was great as a kid and even better as an adult.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 30th, 2018, 3:35 pm #20

"Married w/ Children" was something I never got into. I didn't like the joke set-ups as, from what I saw, it was: 
1- Someone makes a statement or observation
2- Another character will shoot it down, sarcastically, and turn it into something risque. Like: "oh, that's what you always say in the bedroom, Al".
3- Audience will "wooooooooo", holler, and characters will pause with smirks on their faces while things die down.

Sure, that's a standard modern sitcom formula, but that #3 really seemed to dominate Married with Children.

Watched it with a visiting friend, one night, who oversold it as this amazing comedy. The plot was the Bundys' AC went out, so they went to the frozen section of the grocery store and set-up lawn chairs."This is f*cking stupid" was my takeaway.

I have heard some soundbytes from Al Bundy/Ed O'Neill over the years and while they're humorous, to me they stop just short of being "funny". To each their own and all.