Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 16th, 2017, 6:30 pm #91

Episode 9- "The Rock in the Road"
So, it's back for the second half of the season. Fans are in an uproar because: "nothing happened and they talked forever". I disagree, as they met up with King Ezekiel, found some explosives and also had to play "hide the Daryl". Sure, it's silly to call this show "realistic", but realistically it would take some time (weeks) to get all the various parts mobilized. Everybody's not going to show up in a buncha' pick-up trucks, ready to fight the Saviors, overnight.

Kind of reminds me of "Return of the King", with Rick playing Aragorn, trying to get Theoden to call for help and rally against Sauron.

Besides, they had the somewhat fun "Walker clothesline vivisector" stunt to pacify horror fans. No Negan and only 5 seconds of a hissing walker made this show enjoyable.

Oh, was that the Oceanside crew they ran into, at the end? Assumed it was.

I'm guessing that when they finally attack the Saviors, that jerky "lieutenant" guy with the mustache and gray hair will be one of the first to go.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 23rd, 2017, 3:50 pm #92

Episode 10- "New Best Friends
Huh. Didn't like this episode, as much. But I guess this answers all the questions about "Boots" and cleared up Gabriel's supposed exodus.

Most of the new civilizations or colonies that have popped up have made some sort of sense...or at least made you think: "they have some good ideas". But the new Landfill/Dump gang? It's like somebody thought Fat Albert's dump would be a great location for a drama. I mean--- a giant frickin' dump?! For such a dump, it was well organized, too.

Their walker, "Winslow" bordered on ridiculous. He looked like Mordor's "Mouth of Sauron", combined with one of the morons in Slipknot. I'm trying to figure out HOW they affixed all those knives, blades and spikes on him...in symmetrical fashion, no less. Probably spiked his body first, they strapped the spiky helmet to him. But still...that helmet had a big radius. Whatever. I'm sure horror fans were marking out for Winslow's appearance, since it had been teased in the season trailer.

Seemed a little weird that the Grimes Gang has now doubled their debt-- get guns n' ammo (and other "cool shit") for the Saviors and also get guns n' ammo for the Dump Gang. Sure, it's a friendly agreement with the latter, but it doesn't seem like they have much time. Tara will spill the beans on Oceanside, soon. Hopefully in the next two episodes. I hope the season doesn't end with all five factions finally agreeing to unite and fight the Saviors. It'd be yet another season of "getting the band back together". Only instead of uniting people, it's factions.

It appeared Richard might become a stronger ally, but his plan to basically sacrifice Carol to the Saviors was full of fuzzy logic. Liked Morgan's glare when the asshole Savior kept his stick. It's probably going up his ass, soon. Since he's come back, Morgan's become one of my favorites.

Next week should be a interesting dichotomy-- Eugene's deadpan nerd act runs headlong into Negan's sarcastic, non-funny, smiling asshole act.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 1st, 2017, 5:31 pm #93

Officially Episode 11, Season 7- "Hostiles & Calamities".
Eugene was about to cave, until he remembered that he's a Level 25 Bullshit Artist, rolled his saving throw and went into Total Human Genome Project Crock Mode, babbling about his supposed degrees and doctorate. His reward? His own dorm room, a jug of pickles, an Atari 2600 with YARS' REVENGE and the chance to talk to chicks and play science fair. Oh, he also got a bedpan full of stuff and a sock monkey.

To me, at least, Eugene summarizing the plot of Yars' Revenge was one of the funnier moments in the series (Abraham saying: "yeah, but I need some ass, first" was #1). Mainly because it was so unexpected and you have to be a real dork to know the mythology of that game (I'm dorky, but I had no idea). But like Abraham said: Eugene is a survivor. "It's like any RPG, tabletop, virtual or otherwise. The key is to take advantage of your environment". He's certainly done that and while he's living fairly large, right now, he's basically a deep mole and will re-join the Grimes Gang as soon as the figthin' begins...or, more accurately, when it turns in their favor.

Then there's Negan with his stupid antics and his weird arched back/dip-the-shoulder thing. His whole society seems way too fragile to actually work. EVERYBODY thinks he's an asshole...and they could all probably kick his scrawny ass 10 times over. In fact, every time I see Negan I think: "damn, this guy is super skinny and doing a bad Fonzie impersonation". He still sucks. The writers want him to be their Ramsay Bolton-- completely terrible person who you can't wait to see get the shit kicked out of him-- but he's just a bad character.

Also not into Dwight. They seem to be doing a very telegraphed face turn with him. Most likely, Dwight does something to screw over the Saviors and dies in the process. Sherry's departure is also kinda' hard to grasp. How did she leave so easily, even freeing Daryl in the process?

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I randomly remembered that Heath is still out there (black guy with dreadlocks and broken glasses).

Pretty sure the (half) season will end with all the factions coming together and with war eminent. Obviously, would like to see that in the season finale, but they'll probably string it out. Same thing: group splinters, group reunites, big event ....repeat.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 7th, 2017, 3:48 pm #94

Episode 12, Season 7- "Say Yes"
Wherein Rick and Michonne go on a road trip to find guns and do some f*ckin'! They found a fenced-off carnival, filled with undead people and military types; the latter with their guns still attached to them. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought of the movie "Zombieland" as they went through the entire scene.

Oh, and a horrible-looking CGI deer was also on hand. Rick and Michonne take the guns to the Junkyard Gang, who are impressed but want more. "People. Strange." I don't get why they all talk like cavemen. Unless maybe they're all immigrants from French-speaking Quebec, who left their country and went halfway down the eastern seaboard to find the perfect dump to live in?.

Elsewhere, Rosita and Tara contemplate moral issues. Tara apparently spills-the-beans to Rick about the Oceanside community.

Seems like it's been more than a week since the Saviors made their last pick-up from Alexandria

Not a great episode, but at least they seem to be settling up this gun supply issue. So there's at least hope the Great Savior Retaliation happens this season.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 20th, 2017, 4:49 pm #95

Episode 13, Season 7- "Bury me here"
In which they deal with the "Richard Situation". Kind of a lame plan and I'm wondering how he got about 80 shopping carts aligned, on his own, without attracting a herd of walkers. Those things are loud. At least Richard was willing to sacrifice himself, this time. King Ezekiel is on board with fighting, but knows they need time.

Morgan's turn to the dark side (and the SUBTLE action of carving his stick to a point) was decent, I thought. Nice that they brought up Dwayne and had quick flashbacks of Morgan's "Clear" days.

Jerry didn't say anything goofy. Damn.

I waiver on this, every week, but with another episode gone by, I'm 99% certain this season ends with all points aligned and ready to fight... but no "war" until next season. Maybe one of the Saviors' low-level "bosses" (who run the pick-ups) gets killed, then Rick saying something like: 'we need to get ready'. BLACK SCREEN. END CREDITS.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 21st, 2017, 8:39 pm #96

Episode 14, Season 7- "The Other Side"
Pretty much everybody predicted that Sasha would die, this season. So they've decided to kick that off, sending her on a suicide mission to kill Negan... but probably killing a buncha' Savior assholes, then dying.

The scenes with Rosita and Sasha seemingly bonding over Abraham and other stuff was bad TV. Any "romance" amongst those 3 characters was never an important element. Sasha re-wiring the fence, so she could enter Savior-ville was terrible. Not exactly Spock locking himself in the engine room-- which is what I think they were shooting for. Rosita ran off and saw a silhouette of Daryl... but the fact that it was a silhouette makes me think they'll do a SWERVE, next week, and that it'll actually be Dwight (who still has a crossbow, right?)

Gregory's becoming an even bigger cockbag and (Dr.) Eugene doesn't want to be rescued. Yet. In Eugene's mind, he's just biding his time and will join up with whoever prevails, in the end. Not a good episode.

Oh, and Jesus is gay.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm #97

Episode 15, Season 7- "Something They Need"
As if we weren't sure that the Saviors were comprised of complete dumbshits, losers and assholes, we're introduced to "Rapey Davey", who has a thing for rope and tries to assault Sasha. Negan makes the save, and for the first time since his introduction, he seems like a reasonable guy. Sure, he's still "what if the Loading Dock Manager of Dollar Tree took over the world", but they at least made him seem a little more down-to-earth and not the dime-store Joker he's been. Still hate his character, though.

Meanwhile, Rick is trying to out-asshole the Saviors, as he terrorized Oceanside with explosions, held them all at gun-point and took their arsenal. His plan was to give Tara a few minutes to negotiate... but they didn't exactly practice patience or express remorse. "Why wait? We want guns! Let's blow shit up!! FIRE FIRE!"

I hope this isn't the last we'll see of the Oceansiders. The Tia Carerre knock-off chick and her butch friend seemed eager to join the Grimes Gang and attack the Saviors. The storyline had better have Oceansiders join the fight, otherwise Rick seems like a total asshole for his actions. They're acting like help from the Garbage Gang is a sure thing... but that group didn't seem too reliable or formidable.

I did like that the whole Oceanside plan; and the exchange between Rick and Tara; was done in a voice-over and took all of 30 seconds.

As expected, it was Dwight whom Rosita saw, last episode. He's now a captive, seems to have defected and is willing to help the Grimes Gang. He's another terrible character, so let's hope he gets killed soon.

Next week is the finale... and while the preview teased Alexandrians at the wall with guns, who knows if the fightin' will actually happen? I'm thinking we'll get something like the first finale with the Governor--- minor skirmish, but it's an overall letdown, and the REAL combat occurs in the next season.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 3rd, 2017, 3:51 pm #98

Episode 15, Season 7- "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life"
To the surprise of maybe 3 people, Sasha dies! But the writers decided to hit the audience over the head with EMOTIONAL OVERTURES, so we got flashbacks of her with Abraham. No real need, because I think Sasha's death (and subsequent re-animation) was well done, without the flashbacks. Maybe have them in there, but not so heavy on the lovey/dovey stuff. Really tough sell to think of them as some pure and loving romance.

Other than that, things played out as expected. I didn't suspect the Scavengers' turn until they showed up at Alexandria. I thought: "aren't they a little suspicious that these people are so eager to carry guns?" All the recaps I've read of the season have tried to be cute and mention them as "the Garbage Pail Kids" or "Landfill Heapers" (and I've called them similar thing), so when they were finally named as "Scavengers", this episode, I saw that--yup-- there were comic book parallels. So while I'm sure comic book fans expected this, I really didn't.

MVP of the final fight was King Ezekiel's tiger, Shiva. My initial thought was: "why did they recruit all these other groups?! They should've gone to the zoo!" Sure, it's ridiculous to think of a series about frickin' zombies as "realistic", but I had a hard time stomaching that Negan escaped from Walker Sasha AND a surprise tiger attack. Although I about pee'd myself when I saw Shiva gnawing on somebody. Wait, so somebody pried Shiva off of Negan and he got away unscratched?! He didn't even get the obligatory action movie "cut on the forehead" that Bruce Willis made popular.

So, your Negan scorecard is:
-Escaped a bullet at point blank (from Rosita)
-Wasn't sniper'd by Sasha because Eugene happened to be in front of him
-Escaped a walker attack at point blank (although this one I can give 'em, considering how it's happened to countless characters on the show, and they've survived)
-Escaped a FRICKIN' TIGER ATTACK.
-Escaped a hail of bullets from about 25 people (and able to give everyone the finger), simply because he got into an army truck.

Guy is incredibly lucky. While he still sucks, there is some hope. With two surprise attacks in about 10 minutes, I'm hoping this will cause him to stop galavanting, posturing and acting out all the time.

Was wondering how the Kingdom and Hilltop folk got into Alexandria. I'm guessing since they had Maggie, Morgan, Jesus, Ynid and Carol with them, they knew of some "back door". Or else they simply climbed over the (back) walls like the Scavengers did.

Dwight's turn was... confusing, I guess. I think he did cut down the trees like he mentioned, but when he ran in the Saviors, he caved in, out of self-preservation, and re-joined them. Why else would he cut down the trees? It's not like Rick and Crew were watching him. It all happened off-screen, so who knows? Daryl found a carved soldier (one of Dwight's quirks) after the fight that said "Didn't Know". What he didn't know, exactly, remains to be seen. Another shitty character who will not make it out of next season.

So next season is the long-awaited "All Out War". I'm okay with that, since all the previous big battles and conflicts have been settled in one or two episodes (Governor had two rounds, but each big battle was over-and-done in one episode). Terminus was defeated and destroyed in one episode. The Wolves in two. You get the idea.

Oh, and aside from 5 seconds of Walker Sasha, there were NO ZOMBIES in this episode. Loved that. I expect next season to be light on the zombies, too. Sure, there will always be some (like Eugene's molten metal walker defense system at the Sanctuary), but I'm expecting mostly post-apocalyptic survivor fightin'. This finale gave us a taste and next season will be a full course. Hopefully. In reality, they'll probably waste 4-5 episodes on Ynid flashbacks or some other bullshit.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 3rd, 2017, 9:59 pm #99

Oh, one more stupid thought: when Walker Sasha attacked Negan, I would've whizzed myself in laughter if Eugene had used his megaphone and shouted: "work on him, baby, work on him! Hahahaha!" a la Jimmy Hart.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 30th, 2017, 2:52 pm #100

So...back for Season, uh, eight.

Synopsis: people run around and shoot at each other! Remember the small plot about the scarcity of guns n' ammo? Who cares, because everybody's armed like they're the Marines on a full budget.

Negan/Cyrus gets the shittiest (pun intended) line I've heard on TV in decades: "hope you're wearing your shitting pants. Cuz' you're about to shit your pants". That's bad, and I might've let it slide, but AMC then ran a commercial for "Comic Book Men", where they say: "Negan? I kinda' like this guy, now". F*ck you, fanboys. That's not just pointed at the cast of that shit-pot show.

Morgan has become Snake-Eyes. Martial-arts bad-ass who dresses in all black, kills everyone and has "I don't die" and his new mantra. Rumors and speculation are that he won't make it out of this season and that'd be a bummer.

The group's whole assault on various Savior strongholds was confusing. Who was where and what were they doing? Aaron and Eric led an assault on a Savior weapons outpost...and for most of their scenes, you couldn't tell which side was shooting or dying.

They teased that Rick (yeah, RICK) might die, but showed him alive in the "next week" trailer. Who's the potential villain who might've killed Rick? Producers & writers: "Hope you're ready, cuz' it'll blow your mind". It's... Morales.

Who?

Yeah, the guy who left with his family way back in Season 1. For a split-second, I thought it was one of the "Vatos", then remembered Morales, to very little impact. Rick had some forced dialogue to reveal this low-voltage "shocker". "Your name is Morales. You were in Atlanta". Which means the long-awaited(?) "Morales Flashback Episode" is probably looming. To me, this is like the equivalent of one of the background boxers at Mickey's Gym in "Rocky" coming back in Rocky 8 and having significance. Or maybe Rocky's loan shark boss... take your pick.

Oh, and a CGI tiger made an appearance. Supposedly, only King Ezekiel could control Shiva, but now Shiva is able to discern good guys from bad guys, on her own. Must be the motorbike gear.