Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 22nd, 2014, 8:34 pm #81

Season "5", Episode 2-- "Strangers"
So, they meet a seemingly nice and peaceful priest. One who's well-groomed and kept his laundry relatively clean, up 'til now.

Plus some silly junk about "sewer walkers" and they all agree on going to Washington DC. The mysterious White Cross Car speeds away in the night, too.

But the ending--- DAMN! I thought it was just going to be old cliche' villainous monologue of what they're going to do to their perceived victim. Then pan the camera back and -- holy shit--- they've already done it!

Terminus, itself, might be done, but Gareth and his crew are not. Guess they're the Big Villains for this season (or half-season. Whatever).

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2014, 3:35 pm #82

Season "5", Episode 2-- "Four Walls and a Roof"

In the comics.....

*runs*

;-)

Yes, I have read the comics, up to issue #105, and have a good idea what's going on, but you honestly never know as they have changed a lot of things, so not worth bringing up.

As for the show, I, too, did not believe Gareth was dead after the Terminus attack. Couple things from the end of episode , the ending "THEN": when Mary gets tossed into the train car, you hear Gareth say: "MOM!", and then the other guy, his brother, )David, I think?), hold her and say something to the affect of "We'll take care of this, blahblahblah". Well, guess what, jerkoffs, you did. Hope you enjoyed Bob's tainted leg. LOVED that reaction. Also, I realised this week that I need to go back to that episode seen in the above pix and watch as Carl and Michonne are going thrut he hosue to see if there are any signs of Gareth or David in the house if, in factt, it was Mary's house. Not that it matters any more, now that they're bludgeoned, but, worth looking for.

I think Daryl comes out of the trees this week with Morgan.

Regarding Beth's preview, I have no idea what the hell is going on. Somebody's fucking with her.

If you'd read the comics, you'd know what was going on.

*hides*

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2014, 6:36 pm #83

Was there a scene with Beth after the credits? Or was that just in the preview/commercial for the next episode?

I concur on Morgan coming out of the trees with Daryl.

Bob seemed incredibly worthless when he suddenly appeared in The Cast. They fleshed him out in these past few episodes and made him significant. So it was another "good death".

I wasn't feeling his sudden relationship with Sasha, though. Also, Tyrese's "Karen" wasn't around that long, was she? He's still crying over her like a high schooler who went on one date with a girl, then got stonewalled. They should probably de-emphasize that part of his character.

Gabrielle's basically a good man (still the best groomed character in the apocalypse) but quite the coward. Having his church turn into a bloodbath might finally crack him out of the shut-in/sheltered/"just go away" mentality he's had. I'm not sure what they can do with his character, other then making him the group's conscience, like Dale and then Herschel.

Also, a tearful reunion this week as Michone was reunited with her katana.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 12th, 2014, 2:54 pm #84

Season 5, Episode 4- "Slabtown"
Very...different.. episode, as it felt like a low-budget Zombie Horror Movie had hi-jacked the Walking Dead's TV slot. In fact-- I can't remember the title-- but there's a zombie movie from the last 10 years that's set in a sealed-off hospital.

A pretty big swerve, as I expected the "white cross car" to be connected to some weirdo religious zealots. Never considered that they could have been marked as ambulances.

So we got another messed-up pseudo-society that's taken root. Another example where it looks like they've got this Walker thing covered-- they've got running water, electricity, etc.. Just like Woodbury. It took me awhile to realize the slavery and servitude thing going on....then thinking it really wasn't that interesting. I guess because I just didn't get the trapped mentality that all of the servants/captives had.

The part about them only "saving" the ones they perceived as weak and frail was interesting. Then CAROL rolls in on a gurney?! That was the most interesting part, to me. Just because of how they've developed her character and how she's the poster-child for "looks frail and weak".

Any chance, now, that it's not Morgan, but Noah that Daryl brings out of the woods? That'd explain why they did the cliffhanger, last week. "You won't know who the hell this is, so we'll have to show you another episode to fill you in".

This whole thing made me wonder if the old folks home protected by "Vatos" is still surviving in Atlanta. Remember them from Season One? Like the third or fourth episode of the entire series.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 12th, 2014, 2:58 pm #85

...and checking the Walking Dead Wiki, I found this about the Vatos:
wrote:Season Two-"What Lies Ahead"

Non-Canon: Originally, this episode was supposed to feature the return of the Vatos. After the CDC explodes, Rick's group was going to head to the Vatos shelter as a place to rest. Upon arrival, they would have found it overrun by walkers, although many of the inhabitants had gunshot wounds to the head of unknown origin. The group would then kill some of the walkers, before taking back the guns they gave them, and continuing on to Fort Benning. The sequence was cut but some of the scenes can be seen in the Season 2 Trailer, their current fate is unknown.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

November 14th, 2014, 8:50 pm #86

Erick Von Erich,Nov 12 2014 wrote: ...and checking the Walking Dead Wiki, I found this about the Vatos:
wrote:Season Two-"What Lies Ahead"

Non-Canon: Originally, this episode was supposed to feature the return of the Vatos. After the CDC explodes, Rick's group was going to head to the Vatos shelter as a place to rest. Upon arrival, they would have found it overrun by walkers, although many of the inhabitants had gunshot wounds to the head of unknown origin. The group would then kill some of the walkers, before taking back the guns they gave them, and continuing on to Fort Benning. The sequence was cut but some of the scenes can be seen in the Season 2 Trailer, their current fate is unknown.
Interesting theory! I still think Carol is playing possum, Daryl is waiting outside with Noah after he filled them in on Beth and the society inside.I believe it will be Carol, Beth and Noah that come out of the woods.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 17th, 2014, 6:05 pm #87

Sure, I'm a week behind. Up to: Season 5- Episode 5- "Self-Help'
Wherein Eugene is exposed as a Bullshit Artist, Level 7. No surprise, there, but his sabotage tactics explain why he shot up the flatbed truck, last season.

"Yeah, but I need to get some ass, first" was the funniest line I've heard in the series. Abraham comes off like a typical alpha-male jackass, now. The show had kinda' presented him as an ex-military guy, but it appears more and more that he's just some redneck guy. Makes me smirk that Abraham, Rosita and Eugene can all be labelled as "The Group of Dumbshits".

"It makes me look like--and I quote-- a fun guy. And I am". Glenn lost his unofficial comic relief role, sometime in Season 3. Looks like that baton has been passed.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 13th, 2016, 5:07 pm #88

It's been two years. Time to kick this thread and see if it's still alive. Same could be applied to this series, as a whole.

I stopped watching this after the Eugene Face-Punch, but have caught up over the past few months. I'm up to Season 7, episode 3. "The one where Daryl is locked in a cell, hears bad music and gets the crapped kick out of him".

So, a buncha' stuff has happened since I last watched this show. Talk about whatever you like, but my thoughts over the past 1.5 seasons:

-Loved the Morgan flashback episode. Where he meets "Eastman" and learns akido. The goat struck a chord with me. Probably my favorite episode of the entire series. Eastman and martial arts? Probably a cutesy shout-out to Ninja Turtles fandom.

-Also love King Ezekiel. Liked that they rounded out his character and he came clean on his bullshit (twice) in his first episode. Probably the first Group Leader who isn't a total asshole.

-Hate Negan. Not in the "I hate this despicable villain and can't wait to see him get what's due" way. That'd be a good villain. He's a jerk with a knack for cliches and really isn't all that interesting. Negan, to me, is more of a fanboy caricature than Eugene. He's basically what horror and comic book fans like (or think they like) in a "villain". Talks tough, has over-the-top dialogue that they think is "funny" and is presented as super-dramatic and all-powerful. With a signature weapon, of course. He's like the Joker, only on steroids. The Joker Syndrome has been played-out with the "cool villain" role since 1989 (at least) and it's getting tiresome.

-I'm dreading having to sit through another season or two with Negan as the main villain. I'm not seeing his motivation, other than being an asshole unleashed. I felt like, with the Governor, he was evil, but his motivations made sense in a way. Maybe they'll flesh out Negan a little more in the future, but for now I think he's kind of a waste and over-hyped. His cult is a buncha' idiots who seem to be good at following orders and enjoy punching people. True, there are a LOT of idiots in the world, so that part makes some sense.

-Hate to dig up the Governor comparison again, but when he killed Hershel, I was pissed and shouted at the TV: "you asshole!!! Git 'im, Rick!!". When Negan killed Abraham and Glenn, I was waiting for the episode to end. I thought Glenn had died when he fell off the dumpster in Season 6, so I guess I was already checked out on him (yet, 10 minutes after I saw the "Glenn Dumpster" episode, I thought about him being under Nicholas' gutted body and saw the back-door plot escape cause).

-I feel like things are predictable, now. Sometime, next season, Rick will reluctantly rally the Alexandria, Kingdom and Hilltop troops, maybe find some sympathizers in the Saviors, then have a Big Battle with Negan. Someone will probably die in a "season finale". Walkers will move in and thin out the cast, as they seem to do every 1/2 season. I suppose Sasha is next up in the dead-pool.

-Realized a long time ago that nobody but Rick and Carl are exempt from the dead-pool. Maybe Michone...but beyond that, everybody's fair game. Even Daryl. I'm thinking the actor would eventually want to branch out and leave the show.

-Am I a sick bastard for enjoying Sam's death?

-Think I'll miss Abraham more than Glenn. "When you were pouring the Bisquick... were you tryin' to make pancakes"? Glenn has come a long way since the series began. Makes Maggie's character a little more interesting, I guess.

-"Jesus" seems like a good addition, long term. Wouldn't mind seeing him stick around. His negotiator schtick of "let me talk to them" was worn out in two episodes, though.

-Second-favorite line of the series: "this'll change our food situation from scary to hunky-dunky".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 15th, 2016, 6:20 pm #89

Still binge-watching, up to Episode 4 of Season 8.

It just hit me that Negan is Cyrus from "Trailer Park Boys". Only he's supposedly to be serious. Same leather jacket, same bully mentality. Alexandria can even be compared to Sunnyvale.

(thought this was an original thought, but saw that Reddit beat me to it...by two years)

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 20th, 2016, 7:07 pm #90

Finished up the first-half of Season 7. All ready for the show to come back in February, 2017.

-Season finale had the main cast basically grow their balls back. Daryl immediately returned, so we probably won't have a half-season of the tired "getting the band back together".

-Still think Negan's a bad character. Can't wait to see him leave the show, as his antics are entirely one-dimensional. Yeah, I hate him, but not in the despicable way the writers of the series were hoping for. He's like what we'd get if a teenager scripted a prime-time "police procedural drama". Negan takes everybody's lunch money and has stupid dialogue. Jeffrey Dean Morgan can probably easily find work, elsewhere, so I don't think he'll make it past the end of this season. F*ck, I hope so.

-Like I said earlier, still feeling like the second half of this season is predictable.

-More interested in the enigmatic "Boots" character that followed Rick and Aaron back to Alexandria.

-Also appreciated the "Oceanside" episode and concept. Made Tara significant for once.

-With the cast thinned out, Rosita got some direction and focus, as well.

-Funniest thing I heard about this half-season is that some people were writing the FCC to protest the violence on the show. However, the FCC only regulates regular broadcast television...NOT cable.

-The violence, gore and EYEBALL SCENE have affected some people watching the show, though. Comic fans LOVE it... the casual, non-comic fan doesn't. My neighbor likes the show and is the latter, but he was grossed out with the whole Glenn thing.

-Since the show started, I've kinda' expected something disgusting and gross, every season. The ripped-apart "Well Walker" from Season 2 (?) was one that woke me up and grossed me out.