Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

The Office finale'

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 3rd, 2013, 5:18 pm #1

Did a late-night marathon with the Old Lady, this weekend, as we watched the final 4 episodes of The Office. It was a little sappy, but overall it was a nice way to tidy up and end the series.

Some touches I liked, either for their humor or continuity details
-Motley Crue's "Angela" as Dwight and Angela's first dance

-Oscar upset that his origami skills were never filmed

-Devon getting hired back

-Michael Scott's two lines

-Mose kidnapping Angela

-Jim setting up a bazooka for Dwight. Reminded me of my own bachelor party and Bestest Mensch (we fired a Browning .50 cal). I'm okay that they ended up good friends. Going back a few seasons, you could tell that Jim really liked Dwight...and pranking him was his way of showing it.

-Kevin actually being good at something

-Creed

-Was that Roy to the side of the group shots? With the long hair, that made him look like Ethan Suplee.

The Kellie/Ryan sub-plot was ridiculous. But those two were writers or producers of the show, so they always seemed to feel their characters were more important than they were. Kellie got better as the show went on (like the episode when she thought Andy was in love with her), but Ryan was awful throughout and added almost nothing.

A little bummed that Holly wasn't there with Michael, but she would've stolen his screen time. Besides, Michael has to pay for all those phones, so I'm sure money was tight. Michael and Holly moved to Colorado...and flights from Denver to either Philly or Pittsburgh aren't cheap from there.

No Karen, but there didn't need to be. She was given closure several seasons ago, when it was revealed she was a manager at a branch office (was it Buffalo?). No Todd Packer, either, but it's the same deal as his character was closed out earlier in the season.

(While Rashida Jones was, initially, hotter as "Karen" and kinda' bland as "Anne Perkins"... that's no longer true. I get all tingly whenever "Anne" is on-screen in "Parks & Rec", now)

Although not in the finale', Daryl's office-wide dance-off in a previous episode was great. He was usually too cool for shenanigans, but for once he got into the swing of things...and still maintained his cool. "Get some lights up in here. We gonna' do this right".

Just a nice finale'. Okay to close the book on Dunder-Mifflin after 8 years and 9 "seasons". Now all the actors can run off and make cameos in the new "Arrested Development" episode.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

June 3rd, 2013, 9:37 pm #2

I thought it was a fitting finale, and the last season was really the best since Micheal left. It made me really warm and fuzzy, especially because this show has been the show my wife and I have watched together since we first got married.

What, I can be sentimental. Now where's this .50 caliber gun you speak of?
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

June 4th, 2013, 1:37 am #3

I thought the development with Dwight is what should have happened two years ago to keep the ball rolling on the show, but I digress.

I thought the only real misfire of the finale was the bit with Erin at the Q&A. It just felt phony to me.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 4th, 2013, 3:04 pm #4

SamoaRowe,Jun 3 2013 wrote: I thought the only real misfire of the finale was the bit with Erin at the Q&A. It just felt phony to me.
Yeah. that was a little forced-in. Joan Cusack as her mom was fine...but they overdid it with her DAD also showing up (Ed Begley Jr, in another "Arrested Development" crossover). But, it ties that sub-plot up and gives closure. I can't remember clearly, but I think Pete was right behind Erin to show support when the parents showed up. So they're still a couple.

Funny how they made Erin and Andy seem like a perfect pair about two years ago, but completely killed that idea within one season.

Have to say that Erin, Andy and Kevin got progressively more brainless as the show went on. Andy was completely brain dead during his days with Angela and Erin, but rebounded when he took over as manager.

Remember when Kevin was mistaken for being retarded, circa season 4? He was always a little dense, but the writers went with that and gave him a lobotomy. His gag with Robert California really stretched the believability of his stupidity (when Robert thought all of Kevin's babblings were metaphors for life; until he found out that they were just nonsense).

The back-door pilot for "The Farm" is still out there, but who cares? With Angela marrying Dwight, it kills whatever plans that proposed show had for Esther and Dwight. I think we can safely (and thankfully) say that we'll never see "The Farm" (or "Dwight" as it was known as, at one point).

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

June 4th, 2013, 8:12 pm #5

Oh HAI. Wife and I loved it. Daryl's dance send off was fantastic.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

June 9th, 2013, 9:02 am #6

I liked the finale also. Without Michael Scott the last two seasons the show wasn't as good, but that's to be expected.

The Andy stuff with him trying to be a reality star the last two or three shows was dumb IMO.