Moderator: dynamite kido

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 30th, 2013, 9:36 pm #11

It's worth mentioning that Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards are getting a try-out with WWE (according to Sean Radican at PWTorch). If they head to WWE, that's yet another blow to ROH, as they rely pretty heavily on those two to put on the type of long matches full of big spots to keep their DVDs selling.

Richards had said in interviews that he wasn't really interested in WWE because he didn't think he'd like the schedule. He was more interested in having a short, yet fulfilling indy career and then going off to be a firefighter or something until retirement. I guess he's had a change of heart, maybe seeing Daniel Bryan rise in the company and get rich has had something to do with it.

EvilWayzWrestlingStylez
Friend of Pete Doherty
EvilWayzWrestlingStylez
Friend of Pete Doherty

October 29th, 2013, 12:44 am #12

I am offended there is a company called pwx out of nc
been so long long hard days

lucaskieren
dWb Superstar
lucaskieren
dWb Superstar

November 4th, 2013, 10:07 pm #13

I would love to watch indy wrestling live. Especialy PWG as I've seen some great shows and the atmosphere looks great. Shame I live in the UK l, you guys are so lucky you have all these options for just a drive away.
www.lkwrestlingreviews.co.uk
Your Home for News,Reviews and Rumors from the greatest sport in the world Pro Wrestling!

dynamite kido
dWb Superstar
dynamite kido
dWb Superstar

November 5th, 2013, 4:18 pm #14

Indy wrestling is nowhere near dead. Honestly ROH is probably doing better financially than they ever did before. They certainly don't draw as good anymore either. PWG is doing great, CZW still runs regularly, and the east coast is constantly filled with Indy's. My local indy IWC is still up and running every month like they used to. I just think the majority of the internet wrestling community hasn't been all apeshit about Indy wrestling so it feels like it's in a lull.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

November 9th, 2013, 9:53 pm #15

There's a good chance that ROH is profitable for Sinclair due to drawing what they claim to be good ratings in syndication, but the product has been flat for a long time and they can't seem to get any positive momentum going.

I tend to buy PWG DVDs and then not watch them for a long-ass time. I think the most DVD I've actually watched was the Kurt Russelmania show from 2012.

Fuck CZW.

There are a lot of strong indie feds going in my neck of the woods right now. I'm leaving for Wrestling is Art in less than an hour, with Colt Cabana headlining against Tim Donst.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

November 10th, 2013, 4:26 am #16

Just got back from Wrestling is Art. I must say, Drew Gulak is one of the nicest wrestlers I've ever met and I almost felt bad for my CZW comment, seeing as he's their champion and all.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

November 24th, 2013, 11:38 pm #17

I think part of the issue is that there isn't one company dominating, or a handful of stars that people are excited to see. I just went to PWX in NC to see Chris Hero, and it wasn't bad. Chris Hero, Rich Swann, Jake Manning and Caleb Konley were some of the names I recognized.
I do think there are several issues at fault for the lack of interest in the indy scene. When there is talent, they all wrestle the same ROH-influenced style. There is also the issue of "smart" fans. There is nothing more irritating than fans trying to make themselves the stars. I pay money to watch the wrestlers, not listen to the fat lady behind me explain that WWE taught Chris Hero to wrestle. (no joke, that was said Friday) Also, I sense that promoters think that names + good wrestling=a good show. I hate to say it, but wrestling talent is only part of the package. Even ROH in its heyday had characters. Punk, Joe, Homicide, Jack Evans, Jimmy Jacobs, etc. They weren't just "good wrestlers," they were also definable characters who encouraged reaction from the fans. When I watch ROH, I don't care because there aren't any reasons to care about someone.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

June 27th, 2018, 12:50 am #18

I figured this was worth bumping because it feels like the U.S. indy scene has made a huge comeback in the past couple of years. Since last year, I've attended Ring of Honor and EVOLVE shows again, and they've all been excellent shows with large, enthusiastic crowds. Add in that Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks have sold out their All In event, and suddenly independent wrestling feels relevant again.

Infinite Devil Machine
dWb Superstar

June 28th, 2018, 1:53 am #19

The U.S. indie scene might be dead. But the European indie scene is thriving. Between Progress, Evolve, IWA (or is it IWC?), and Defiant Wrestling (formerly What Culture Pro Wrestling) there's a ton of great Euro talent out there.

And Hell, if you're looking for something "indie" but not too "indie" in America, Lucha Underground is back. That's about as weird, niche, and "indie" as you can get in 2018. But they don't shoot their shows in a High School gym in front of 80 people.

What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....