Moderator: Mad Dog

Takeover: Brooklyn IV

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 7th, 2018, 3:07 pm #1

I always toot that NXT is wonderfully predictable... but I honestly have no idea who wins each match. As of now, the card is scheduled to be:

-NXT Women's Championship: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane
 A few months ago, I thought Sane was all set to take the title at this event. Now, I'm not so sure. Seems weird to have Sane beat Baszler in the Mae Young Classic, then have her beat Baszler a year later. The Women's division has been a little odd this year, anyways.

-NXT North American Championship: Adam Cole (c) vs. Ricochet
After a year, Cole finally seems to be finding his stride in NXT. Regardless of the outcome, I think these guys will have a few more matches between them. Maybe stretching it out to November. I'll say Cole "cheats to win", setting up a rematch.

-NXT Tag Team Championship: Undisputed Era (c) vs. Moustache Mountain
It amuses me that the MM boys are actually over...and I dig 'em, too. Pretty sure Undisputed Era retains, but it should be a great match.

-EC3 vs. Velveteen Dream
Definitely odd that they've moved to EC3 as a babyface, already. I'm thinking Dream wins, since he needs a rebound victory, having come up empty on the last two Takeovers.

-NXT Championship: Tomasso Ciampa (c) vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Aleister Black
Well, it seemed like this would be the perfect spot for Gargano to win the title and end the Blood Feud. But on last week's NXT, all 3 had a confrontation with Gargano acting like a weenie, then eating a Black Mass kick from Black. No big deal, but the crowd chanting "you deserve it" as Gargano was comatose... not what I expected. Gargano has been the best babyface they've had, up until that segment. Does Black's popularity overrides Garagno's? I'm thinking people were still pissed/shocked that Black lost the title. If it were up to me, I'd book Gargano to cleanly beat Ciampa, while Black misses a big spot and takes himself out on the floor. I can safely say that: "Aleister Black is my favorite current wrestler".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 7th, 2018, 3:13 pm #2

I don't think it's been officially announced, but I have a feeling that another match (to be seen on the next, post-Takeover NXT episode) will be: The Mighty vs. Heavy Machinery vs. Street Profits.

No War Raiders on the card, as I don't think they fit into the mild 3-way tag team feud, above, that's been running. So maybe they hit a big run-in after the MM/Era match? Would set up War Raiders vs. Undisputed Era, which I'd be into.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm #3

That's a sick card. Can't wait to see it. 

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 7th, 2018, 6:07 pm #4

I'm going with all heel champions winning and Velveteen Dream.

I'm rewatching al the other Takeover: Brooklyn's this week and am mid-way through the 1st (2015). "Revisted" comments to come!

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 8th, 2018, 4:34 pm #5

Takeover 1:

Breeze/Liger – Remember when the NXT roster was thin enough they had to import JUSHIN LIGER to pad the card? I guess this is a sign of what WWE management thought of Breeze to give him a match against an all-time legend making his 1st (and only) WWE appearance. Good for what it was, the crowd was into it and Liger’s age shows but it was still entertaining to see him perform.

Vaudevillains/Blake & Murphy – 3 years later, Blake is still toying around NXT with Steve Cutler as the Forgotten Sons, Simon Gotch is gone, Aiden English reverted to his singing gimmick, and Buddy Murphy is tearing it up on 205 Live. Oh, and Alexa Bliss is easily the bigger star than any of them ever hoped to be. Blue Pants is something I completely forgot about, and for good reason (she’s terrible). Match was OK, nothing memorable other than a title switch.

Nia Jax is coming!

Apollo Crews/Tye Dillinger – Tye has different music and no heat. A far cry from about a year later where crowds would hijack matches chanting “10”. Crews’ debut, and a decent one at that. Unfortunately he was called up WAY too soon (they had no plans for him, and never established a character).

The Tough Enough finalists are here! Amanda Sacamano is the only one still employed (now known as Mandy Rose). Other contests from that season, Patrick Clark and Daria Berenato, earned contracts and now work as Velveteen Dream and Sonya Deville.

Samoa Joe/Baron Corbin – 3 years later and they recycled the “I only had to make a phone call/they called me” promos to hype a match between Corbin and a Internet Darling™. Good heavyweight match. NXT booked Corbin to his strengths instead of putting him out there for 20-minutes to kill the crowd. I don’t think anyone expected Joe to be a main roster call-up. I’m positive the intent was to be an NXT guy to develop people and help draw on road shows.

Kanna is in attendance!

Bayley/Sasha – Three of the Four “Horsewomen” were brought up in the weeks leading up to SummerSlam, leaving poor Bayley behind and making the result here obvious. Still the best women’s match the WWE ever had, and the match that had me turn the page on their women’s division. 3 years later, poor Bayley was completely mishandled to the point the hardcore audiences at PPV turned on her.

Balor/Owens – I miss demon Finn Balor. Did anyone expect KO to get the respect on the main roster he's received for 3 years?He doesn't look like Vince's kind of guy.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm #6

So this is a biggie: Aleister Black injured his groin during an NXT house show, had surgery, will miss Takeover, and is out for awhile.

They ran a kayfabe "WWE.com exclusive" video, made to look like the Undisputed Era took him out:

Soooo... I'm about 85% certain that Gargano wins the title at Takeover, now.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 9th, 2018, 4:50 pm #7

That sucks, but at the same time, saves him from doing weekly jobs to Baron Corbin in unfunny segments where Corbin brags about making a phone call and Black retorting "they called me".

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm #8

Takeover: Back 2 Brooklyn (2016)

No Way Jose/Austin Aries - I honestly forgot Aries was in NXT. His run was short thanks to (I believe) a fractured orbital bone and brought in as a commentator on 205 Live. Hard to believe NWJ was in NXT for 2 years but only featured for maybe 8 months of it. Another opening match gimmick WWE has squandered, but unlike stuff like Clay and Rose, didn't even give him a chance on the main roster. It was night and day when it came to performance. Jose was obviously limited and you got Aries carrying him to a respectable WWE-level match. Hideo Itami comes back from one of many injuries and hits a GTS to pop the crowd. I gave it 3-stars before, and will stick with it.

Ember Moon/Billie Kay - Moon's in-ring debut. Kay's heel turn was sparked by a job duty spot on Smackdown a few months earlier. That's actually a smart reasoning for defining a character when they're starting to get some traction. Match wasn't much except for Moon's finisher. I gave it *1/2 before. Seems right, I wouldn't go higher than 2-stars.

Bobby Roode/Andrade Almas - Almas is such an ice cold babyface I'm amazed he didn't ask for his release. The heel turn helped him, but the thing that pushed him over the top was pairing him up with Zelina Vega. Roode's obnoxious heel entrance is too good to not enjoy. Match was perfectly fine, but the match lacked heat at times, and nobody was buying Almas' babyface comebacks in Roode's debut. I gave this 2 3/4 stars. Again, I won't change that since I'm hovering in the 2 1/2-3 star range.

The Revival/DIY - Gargano and Ciampa just had a phenomenal match in the CWC, so I expected a turn here. Great match, an NWA/JCP style effort for the first 10-minutes before kicking it into modern gear with tons of near falls and high spots. Gargano gets the knee clipped and force him to tap out with Ciampa knocked out on the floor. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars, which is only a slight upgrade from my original rating.

Asuka/Bayley - Typically, the "underdog champion coming back for a rematch" means "Bayley wins", but her promotion to the main roster was coming sooner than later. Better than their match at Takeover: Dallas, which in itself was pretty good. Bayley brought more aggression and had a few hope spots but Asuka is clearly better than her and goes over clean. 4-stars then, 4-stars now.

Samoa/Joe/Shinsuke Nakamura - Strong main event with a lot of hard hitting offense. I short-changed this one last time with 3 1/2 stars, and upgraded it to 4. Maybe I was blown away by the tag and womens titles watching it live, but it holds up better for me.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 17th, 2018, 2:56 pm #9

I think Joe vs. Nakamura was the best feud in WWE, that year. Just simple "let's fight over Da' Belt" stuff.

I'm pumped up for this weekend's Takeover... but will be unable to watch it live. So I'm trying to go spoiler-free over the weekend and start watching it on Monday. Gargano has come off like a douche in his last few appearances, so I'm not convinced that a title win is a sure thing, anymore. Ciampa's also been killing it as an asshole champ in his promos.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 17th, 2018, 4:35 pm #10

Erick Von Erich wrote: I think Joe vs. Nakamura was the best feud in WWE, that year. Just simple "let's fight over Da' Belt" stuff.

I'm pumped up for this weekend's Takeover... but will be unable to watch it live. So I'm trying to go spoiler-free over the weekend and start watching it on Monday. Gargano has come off like a douche in his last few appearances, so I'm not convinced that a title win is a sure thing, anymore. Ciampa's also been killing it as an asshole champ in his promos.
Eh, I don't know, I found it sort of lacking. Now, if they'd had midgets dress up as one another or photoshopped each other's faces onto animals, then they'd have been on to something.