Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 5th, 2018, 3:37 pm #1

Solo- A Star Wars Story Official Teaser

So hey, another new Star Wars movie. Little surprised/excited that it's coming out in May. I had expected it to be released in December, as seems to have become the "tradition" for modern Star Wars flicks.

If you like Star Wars on some level, you'll probably see it. Han Solo's the coolest character in the entire franchise. Add in Chewie and Lando. How can I NOT see it? Early info says this is a "Western" movie; so they play that up, in the trailer, with the 2-4 second holster un-buckling and the stand-off.

I read in some crappy spin-off novel in the 80's: (may have even been in the early 90's with "Heir to the Empire"), where someone (Luke?) wondered if "Han Solo" was his real name, or one he had created for himself. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it turns out his name is something like "Alloysius Xavier Solomonisky" or something. Fans would poo themselves in anger.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 4:17 pm #2

I read that book, and think I still have it: Splinter Of The Minds Eye?!?!?!?!?!? I have three or four of those cheap books, but I'm certain it is in one of them.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 5:58 pm #3

I'm not too excited for this, but I will watch it ASAP because its Star Wars. I was the same with Rogue One and ended up (mostly) loving it (minus the poor character development).

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

May 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm #4

I wasn't too pumped for this due to the troubled shoot and general lameness of the idea, but the trailer before Avengers last night was full of cool stuff (including things that surely won't be in the final movie).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 4th, 2018, 3:51 pm #5

I liked it more than "The Last Jedi". It was full of a lot of fan pandering, though. Name-dropping Bossk, the cutesy recruitment video with the Empire Theme, the "gangster on Tattooine", and especially that big surprise appearance at the end. "World Building" has become a common fan term in the past 5 years, but it was almost overdone at times.

-Really appreciated the "Western" vibe, right down to the (somewhat) old-fashioned train robbery. Plus Han and Chewie escaping while tied together in the old chain gang plot device.

-Lando kinda' stole the show. Even when he wasn't on-screen and took off in the Falcon. I'm down for a Lando movie. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised Alamo Drafthouse didn't have Colt 45 on their "Special Solo Cup Menu" of themed drinks!

-The entire sequence on Corellia was very ordinary. Right down to the TSA passport checkpoint. It seemed very much like standard sci-fi knock-off fare...just with a few Stromtroopers mixed in to let us know "this is Star Wars". Han's big worm lady boss? She had a very Fraggle Rock-esque vibe to her. I was immediately reminded of Marjorie the Trash-Heap .

-Of the few new vehicles and ships we got-- they seemed sorta' half-finished. Especially the lame car that Han stole, early on. I guess that Stormtrooper speeder that chased Han might be similar to Rey's piece-of-junk from "The Force Awakens".

-The little six-limbed pilot dude seemed like the Star Wars version of Rocket Raccoon. So much so that, for a second, I thought Bradley Cooper was voicing him.

-Thought the Marauders' leader was Maya Rudolph, when she first un-masked. The Tognath guy in her gang (yellowish head and hoses coming out of his mouth) I recognized as one of Saw Gerrera's troops from "Rogue One"--- but it could just be another guy of the same race. I don't think the gang's name of "Cloud-Riders" was spoken in the actual movie, but it's supposedly a reference to the awful Marvel comics, circa 1978 and issues 7-10.

-Another fan pandering (that very few got) was Lando's mention of property on "Oseon". A direct reference to the 80's crappy paperback: "Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon". I'm surprised it's not mentioned on IMDB's trivia page. I read that book in 1999 when I thought I'd get all inspired by Star Wars with the release of Episode I. The book was terrible and my enthusiasm died out shortly after.

I was entertained, nonetheless. I think what really hurt this movie's momentum is the timing. If it had been released in December it would've done better and had a better buzz. Having it come out when "Avengers"Infinity War" and "Deadpool 2" are still red hot makes it get lost in the shuffle. I'm still blown away by Avengers, so this felt like less of an EVENT.