Moderator: whitemilesdavis

RIP Paul Jones

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 3:45 am #1

wrote:On a day in which we learned of the passing of Bruno Sammartino, news broke Wednesday that another notable wrestler had passed away at some point this week: "No. 1" Paul Jones.
He was 75 years old. As of this writing, no cause of death, nor the actual date, is known. Dick Bourne of Mid-Atlantic Gateway said he passed near his home in Atlanta, GA.
Born Paul Frederik, Jones debuted in 1961 and began working throughout the southern U.S., Japan, and the Pacific Northwest in the early stages of his career. He eventually landed in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling where he spent the majority of his career, feuding with the top stars like Ivan Koloff, Ric Flair, The Andersons, Jack Brisco, and Terry Funk. In Mid-Atlantic, he won several tag team and singles titles and over his career, he held more than 20 championships.
He eventually became a manager in addition to some wrestling, backing the "Paul Jones Army", a heel faction that included Koloff, The Powers of Pain, "Superstar" Billy Graham, and more. After some years on the indies, he retired in 1991 and opened up an auto body shop.
I'm not going to lie, I have little exposure to Jones. The work I have seen, him as a manager, wasn't anything that I took away having much of an opinion about. I do know he stole "Worst Manager of the Year" from Mr. Fuji once or twice in the WON Awards, an award that was basically owned by Fuji. I'm assuming his lack of popularity was managing the lower-tier heels and an unpopular feud (among smart fans) with Jimmy Valiant.

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 2:42 pm #2

I remember him best for his run as a manager in JCP.

RIP Mr. Jones
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 2:58 pm #3

I'm in the same camp-- only remember him as a (crappy) manager. I've seen very little of his 70's work as "Number One" Paul Jones. From what I've seen/heard/read, he was much better as a wrestler than a manager. Had a good turn angle with Ricky Steamboat, circa 1979.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 4:28 pm #4

He gets a bad rap as a a manager cause of the never ending feud with the boogie woogie man Jimmy Valiant

Loved his team of Rude and manny Fernandez. Very underrated NWA tag champs

But the whole Von Raschke, Shasta Whatley bald headed geek stuff

First time I saw him was in '84 managing the Assassins, the Zambiue Express
Assasssins split up. Then he was managing Konga the barbarian and superstar graham

In hindsight pairing a very green barbarian with the veteran legend Graham was a good idea. But at the time I only knew of Graham as Kung Fu billy Graham in the WWF. I don't think the team lasted long though

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 4:37 pm #5

As far as his wrestling career, it was over before I started watching

But then he won the NAWA title in '91. How I remember that from the apter mags, I don't know. They made a big deal of him wrestling again and being a face

IIRC he actually owned or booked that area and it was short lived

He beat Robert fuller for the belt. And fuller won it in a tournament all final from Ricky steamboat.

How the fuck can I remember this stuff from 1991 and not remember who was on wrestlemania last year?