Moderator: whitemilesdavis

RIP Nikolai Volkoff

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 29th, 2018, 3:39 pm #1

Unfortunately, on Sunday morning reports surfaced that WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff passed away just days after being released from a hospital in Maryland after he had been treated for dehydration.
The 70-year-old had a long successful career while performing in the WWE where he had several runs with the WWF Tag Team Titles.
Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.
Volkoff's career spanned way back into the late 60's/early 70's, but I'm more familiar with him for the Hulkamania Era where he was already past his prime. Looking back as an adult, his stuff with the Iron Sheik was entertaining, but my goodness, was his team with Boris Zhukov one of the worst the era had to offer, and then, during the era dubbed the NEW GENERATION, Volkoff is one of several names from the past brought in to shore up the under-card, doing a humiliation gimmick as a Dibiase goof that never paid off. Volkoff's legacy to me will always be singing that damn Soviet anthem. I don't know the words, but because of him, I know the tune. :P

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

July 29th, 2018, 9:27 pm #2

I bet when he got to the gates he sang the Russian National Anthem. RIP Nikolai

Definitely going to be listening to some Cara Mia in his honor.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

July 30th, 2018, 5:26 am #3

RIP Nikolai.  He was in mid-south I think when I started watching wrestling in '83

Yes I know him best from his teaming with the Iron Sheik

His version of Cara Mia was awesome. 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 30th, 2018, 3:11 pm #4

See, I "learned" the "Soviet National Anthem" because of him. According to me, the words were:

"Hiii-yo. Sen oh-flay-vin..
Hi yo sin a nose caw
Hey ya a veck check. Ope sin a yoooo!
Hi.... (FACE RUNS IN and song ends)"

I remember marking out when I saw Sean Connery's "Hunt for Red October" in 1990, because I finally heard the FULL version of the song.

He seemed liked the scariest threat when I was first introduced to the WWF. I thoroughly believed he WAS a "Russian commie". Was actually shocked, decades later, when I found out he was Croatian and didn't care for the USSR.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

July 30th, 2018, 9:56 pm #5

I always thought he was Polish. Wasn't until he passed, that I knew he was Croatian.

The only Russian that was actually Russian was Vladimir Koslov. I knew most like Nikita, Ivan, volkolff weren't. But figured someone in the kayfabe era must have been 

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 30th, 2018, 10:52 pm #6

I was surprised to know Volkoff had some connection to communist life. I assumed, like all other Russian menaces, he was just a fabrication of the culture.