Moderator: whitemilesdavis

RIP Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

August 13th, 2018, 3:46 pm #1

The news just hit twitter. Only 63 years old, but from what I've heard, he's been battling serious health conditions and his death didn't come as too much of a surprise. I genuinely believe the Hart Foundation is one of the best teams of all time, with both Bret and Neidhart adding an element to the team to balance things out. It's also easy to say that Neidhart carried that team in promos with his way-out-there persona. 

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 14th, 2018, 3:04 pm #2

My Old Lady read this to me, while we were driving back from vacation, yesterday. My first thought was: "Yeah Baby! Hahaha!"...but quickly realized that quote would sound rude to someone who's not "into" Jim Neidhart (BTW, she pronounced his name "Need-hart"). I tried to think of any non-Hart Foundation career highlights to tell her, but came up empty. Best I had was: "his daughter has been wrestling for awhile. She's pretty good".

Neidhart was a two-time tag champ... in a time when that claim meant a LOT more than it does, today. Had a very good look and, in 1986, it seemed like he might be the breakout star of the Hart Foundation.

One thing I've heard conflicting reports about is his nickname, "the Anvil". I remember a WWF Magazine interview where he was "quoted" as saying he got the name because he entered (and won) a competition for throwing an anvil. Plus, an anvil sounded tough (and was often the pay-off in old Roadrunner cartoons). I always ran with that as the explanation, but I don't think the anvil-chucking competition was ever mentioned outside of that WWF Magazine article.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 14th, 2018, 5:28 pm #3

Solid "in memorial" piece put out by WWE:

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

August 16th, 2018, 8:17 pm #4

Erick Von Erich wrote: My Old Lady read this to me, while we were driving back from vacation, yesterday. My first thought was: "Yeah Baby! Hahaha!"...but quickly realized that quote would sound rude to someone who's not "into" Jim Neidhart (BTW, she pronounced his name "Need-hart"). I tried to think of any non-Hart Foundation career highlights to tell her, but came up empty. Best I had was: "his daughter has been wrestling for awhile. She's pretty good".

Neidhart was a two-time tag champ... in a time when that claim meant a LOT more than it does, today. Had a very good look and, in 1986, it seemed like he might be the breakout star of the Hart Foundation.

One thing I've heard conflicting reports about is his nickname, "the Anvil". I remember a WWF Magazine interview where he was "quoted" as saying he got the name because he entered (and won) a competition for throwing an anvil. Plus, an anvil sounded tough (and was often the pay-off in old Roadrunner cartoons). I always ran with that as the explanation, but I don't think the anvil-chucking competition was ever mentioned outside of that WWF Magazine article.
Wasn't he a shot put champion in high school?