Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

RIP: Burt Freakin' Reynolds

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 6th, 2018, 10:56 pm #1

Yup. Passed away at 82.

One of the first actors I remember recognizing, as a wee lad. I think I may have even said he was my favorite movie star, for some questionnaire, circa 2nd grade. Hope he's reuniting with Dom DeLuise, as we speak.

Highlights:
-One of the Special Guests for WrestleMania X
-Cannonball Run/Smokey and the Bandit (basically the same movie)
-Banged Loni Anderson
-Co-owner of the USFL Tampa Bay Bandits-- the team that gave us Lex Luger and Ron Simmons...plus some guy named Nate Newton
-Apparently real-life buddy with Terry Bradshaw
-Inspired every male in the 70's to go on a canoe trip for some bow-huntin' (just be sure to avoid the toothless crackers)
-Covered himself in Vasoline for "Strip Tease"

Yeah, it's a humorous highlight list. Yet I think Burt himself would appreciate that he's making us smile, even in death.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

September 7th, 2018, 12:17 am #2

How could you forget the immortal Evening Shade TV series?! :P

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 7th, 2018, 9:22 pm #3

Funny thing about "Evening Shade"-- it was well-rated and aired on Monday night at prime time; opposing Monday Night RAW. 

Wikipedia says it ended in March 1994...but was probably still airing in that slot until the fall. So, when Burt was a guest at WrestleMania X, he was technically the competition.

Another funny thing: was talking about Burt with a friend, last night. She's about 4-5 years older than me and said: "when he posed nude for Cosmo? Mmmm! It was in the 70's Bandit days, when he was still all hunky! I was 9 when I saw that spread and I was blown away!"