Moderator: whitemilesdavis

RIP ''Luscious''Johnny V

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

April 5th, 2018, 8:31 am #1

According to the report he was hit by a truck while crossing. Terrible way to go.

I did watch some of his work as a wrestler but I remember him most for his career as a manager. I also enjoyed his brief run in the booth with Gorilla. He definitely had the gift of gab.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 5th, 2018, 2:56 pm #2

I kinda' think that, had there been no Heenan, Cornette, Dillon or Blassie, Valiant would've excelled as an 80's manager mouthpiece. As it was, he was usually a second or third level manager in the WWF. The way they booked him against Brutus Beefcake in 1987-- comically and constantly losing parts of his hair, EVERY NIGHT--- ruined any credibility he had.

He was good at cutting those 45 seconds promos to hype a match or pump up his guys. I remember when I started watching WWF TV in the spring of 1986, he cut a super energetic promo hyping up a Bulldogs/Dream Team tag match for the next house show. I'd say he wasn't too good on commentary, though. Almost as if he was paid by the word, and was babbling to fill time (see: "The Big Event").

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

April 5th, 2018, 3:14 pm #3

He was no Heenan or Ventura but he at least stuck to the heel role which seems to be a lost art with today's ''heel'' announcers.

As a manager I liked his run with the Dream Team but yeah when they turned Beefcake face he lost all credibility like you said. He did manage my favorite team in Demolition so points to him there.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 5th, 2018, 3:46 pm #4

Reading his bio, I totally forgot that he went back to the AWA and managed the Destruction Crew for a brief spell.

Really haven't seen much of his work in the Valiant Brothers from the 70's.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

April 5th, 2018, 8:30 pm #5

I remembered he had managed the destruction crew. I forgot he was the first manager for demolition. Yeah I remember him most for the dream team.

Never knew he managed hogan in the AWA for a bit until yesterday.

Knew he was part of the valiant brothers but I started watching in '83 so they wee done by then. RIP Johnny valiant