Moderator: The Swigg Lebowski

Ric Flair incident in Ireland

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2011, 4:53 am #1

Copying this from Pwinsderelite.com

Ric Flair missed today's TNA house show event in Berlin, Germany after sources within the company claimed that, "Flair was refusing to get on the plane to Germany".
There were a number of stories making the rounds as to what the exact issue was, but TNA sources have confirmed there was some sort of blow-up between Flair and a member of TNA Management in Dublin, Ireland.

"He threw a fit," said the source, who would speak only under condition of anonymity. "He was playing 'Nature Boy' on the tour and got pissed off and threw a tantrum. As far as we all know, he's in Dublin still. He said he wasn't coming and he wasn't in Berlin."

There are stories making the rounds that the issue was financial, but I haven't confirmed that as accurate.

This wouldn't be the first time we've heard of a Flair outburst since he signed with TNA a year ago, although most were incidents after events that wouldn't have caused a change to scheduled cards.

Flair was not advertised to wrestle in Berlin but was scheduled to appear. He is still advertised as teaming with Kazarian against Douglas Williams & Matt Morgan on 1/27 in Glasgow, Scotland.

When reached at the TNA offices in Nashville, TNA's head of publicity, Steven Godfrey noted, "TNA does not comment on personnel matters."

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2011, 4:54 am #2

Here's more:

The Ric Flair incident in Dublin, Ireland was said to have been driven by Flair demanding money "in advance" from a member of TNA management. When his request wasn't granted, Flair allegedly tried to play hardball, refusing to get on a bus that was taking the TNA troupe to the airport for their flight. That incident led to a decision being made to leave Flair behind, since he was refusing to get on the plane and this had not been the first instance of similar issues with Flair over the last year.
According to one person I spoke to after we initially wrote about the Flair situation, there were members of the roster in favor of leaving Flair behind due to his outburst and some were mocking him, using his "signature promo lines" after he was left behind.

There was a lot of discussion regarding how much Flair's legendary "partying" on the road during the tour may have factored into his decision to refuse to get on the bus as well.

To clarify something making the rounds, Flair was not sent home from the tour by TNA management. He was simply left behind after refusing to travel following his issue with the member of TNA management. All signs are Flair is still in Europe and he could easily catch up to the troupe in Scotland, if he chooses.

There was no official decision to send him home, just a decision to leave him behind when he had his "blow-up" as opposed to holding up an entire roster of talents waiting to travel internationally.

TNA declined to comment on the Flair situation when contacted by PWInsider.com earlier today

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2011, 4:56 am #3

I will add my two cents here

As much as I loved Ric Flair in the 80s and 90s and even for part of the last decade, he has become a money grubbing whore. Add the fact that he still acts like he is in his 20s or 30s with all the partying he still does, it's quite sad

He still is pretty good on the mic (and considering he is in his 60s, he's not that bad in the ring, but a far cry from how good he was). But TNA should just drop him. He's not worth whatever they are paying him

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2011, 5:36 am #4

There's a "jet-flyin', limousine-ridin" joke in there, somewhere. But not a good one.

And I'll go out on a limb and guess that alcohol was somehow involved in Flair's behavior.

SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty
SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty

January 28th, 2011, 8:17 pm #5

I found this really funny when I first read the article :lol:... but in all seriousness Ric Flairs probably costing the company more money than he's actually bringing in by being there. TNA have really gone down in recent years in terms of quality and substance.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 28th, 2011, 8:22 pm #6

Good point. Flair, post-WCW has really just been a "name" that companies want to put on their marquee for a little rub. Like, "look, we have RIC FLAIR! That means we're legit!"

Oh, and more importantly: welcome aboard, SpaceOdyssey!

SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty
SpaceOdyssey
Friend of Pete Doherty

January 28th, 2011, 8:47 pm #7

I can see why companies would sign Flair. On paper signing someone with Flairs prestige and past achievements is a good idea as it makes it seem like he will be a money maker. Also he still manages to get a good pop and is still able to generate a good amount of heat when needed as well. That being said I don't think modern audiences care as much about Flair anymore, same with Hogan & Nash. All three debatably had their golden years in WCW and all three's popularity has slowly decreased since then making them less relevent and definetly not the key to securing a modern, loyal fan base.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 28th, 2011, 10:27 pm #8

Just kinda' wonder who will have the nostalgia Flair or Hogan hook for audiences in, say, 20-30 years (if we're still around as a civilization and apes haven't taken over). Would someone bring back a 60 year old Edge or Kurt Angle for a quick rub?

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 29th, 2011, 8:02 pm #9

Angle maybe, Edge no way

I like Edge but he is not a legend in my opinion whereas Angle is

Of course in 30 years, Angle would be 73 years old

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 31st, 2011, 9:45 pm #10

From pwinsiderelite.com

Ric Flair is not at today's Impact taping and is not on the run sheets for this week's episodes that are being taped. There are some already wondering if he's gone from the company after the incident in Ireland but I don't have any confirmation on that.