Moderator: Mad Dog

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 27th, 2014, 11:56 pm #131

Got this one today.

After you've received something from the Most Powerful Force in the Universe...where do you go from there?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 5th, 2014, 10:06 pm #132

I've slowed down quite a bit. Started to be a bit more picky and only send out cards that I actually like. Before, I'd just send them out because I had an extra, or would've thrown the card away.

Sent and received an autographed card from Josh Rutledge. No biggie, but it's the first time I've sent one to a Spring Training complex. It was about a 2 week turnaround.

Saw that Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes has recently re-surfaced and is accessible! All-time gaijin home run king.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

April 28th, 2014, 11:59 pm #133

Now that I'm mostly back to normal post-surgery I'm starting to send letters out again. Focusing mostly on late 80s and early 90s baseball players currently.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

May 10th, 2014, 2:48 am #134

Got quite the baseball haul today as I got successful returns from Pokey Reese, Cory Snyder, Ted Power, Steve Davis (wrote me a nice letter back) and Joe Morgan (Sox manager).

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 15th, 2014, 9:00 pm #135

Some of my "send-outs" have finally made it back.

Football Through-the-Mails:
-Michael Brooks (Broncos LB)- about 4 months
-Dave Wyman (Broncos/Seahawks LB)- about 10 months
-Gerald "Ice Cube" McNeil- about 4 months
-Billy Thompson (Broncos DB)- less than a week, but he's a local

Baseball Through-the-Mails:
-Rick Manning (70's/80's OF, Indians broadcaster). Quick turnaround
-Mark Gubicza. About 3 weeks
-Ken Macha. Quick turnaround
-Mark Thurmond (80's RP). Quick turnaround
-Wes Chamberlain. Quick turnaround
-Eric Young Jr. Sent to Citi Field. VERY quick turnaround
-Jimmy Key. Quick turnaround
-Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes. About 3 months

In-Person Sweet Spot Baseballs:
-Eric Young, Sr.
-Mark Melancon (personalized it and wrote "Go Bucs"! Awesome)

In-Person Team Baseball:
-Clint Barmes, Jordy Mercer, Jared Hughes (2014 Pirates)
-Glenallen Hill (mgr), Dave Schuler (pitch. coach), Brian Burres, Michael Ramirez, Jackson Williams, Drew Garcia, Angelys Nina, Rafael Ynoa, Evan Frey, Tim Smalling (2014 Sky Sox Triple A).

In-Person cards:
-Brent Morel
-Brian Burres (Triple A game)
-Paul Janish (Triple A game)
-Glenallen Hill (Triple A game)

I went to the Triple A game in mid-June. Until that point, I had gotten ZERO in-person autographs for the season. It was my make or break game; if I didn't get any autographs, I was going to quit going early to games. Got a bunch (11), without much effort. If you do your homework and find a super-fan, Triple A games are an easy effort for autograph hounding.

Went early for two Pirates games in July in Denver. Only got three autographs, pre-game, in two tries. But stayed after the game, at the main gate, and got three in one night. Would've gotten more, if I had been a jerk. For instance, Rockies OF Brandon Barnes was there, but had his dinner in one hand and his daughter in the other. Jhoulys Chacin came by, but I didn't have a card or anything for him to sign.

Think I may skip all future pre-game/BP autograph haggling and just try it after the game. MUCH smaller crowd. While it is tougher to spot guys, it's a much more relaxed environment for both the players and fans. Plus; if you're a cheap ass; you don't need a ticket.

Pre-game/BP used to be the best time to get autographs, from about 2002-2008. Circa 2009, I strongly believe the Players Association said something to their members about pre-game autographing, as guys have been signing less frequently since then. I remember when about 11-15 members of the Reds came over to sign in 2004 during BP... and that wasn't unusual for the time.

The S.S. Nintendo
dWb Superstar

August 17th, 2014, 1:25 am #136

Mad Dog,Sep 23 2013 wrote:
So jealous. He was in my hometown a few years ago. Didn't get to meet him, but I did meet his daughter where I work at. She was the Apple Blossom Queen that year.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

August 17th, 2014, 11:08 pm #137

I sent it to him via ESPN. He's a really hit and miss guy.

The S.S. Nintendo
dWb Superstar

August 18th, 2014, 2:25 pm #138

I have a small selection of autographs:

Two Capitals hats signed by Tyler Sloan, Jeff Schultz, Mike Knuble, and Bruce Boudreau from a couple of Capitals Conventions.

A rally towel signed by two former Caps (don't remember their names), and Rod Langway, also from a recent convention.

Pucks signed by Matt Hendricks, Christian Hanson, Dmitri Orlov, Caps analyst Craig Laughlin, Marcus Johansson, and Peter Bondra.

And on the wrestling side of things:

Signed photo from 2003 by Dusty Rhodes. Met him at a small indie show.

A printed out email/ticket from last summer's Impact Wrestling event at the Shenandoah County fair, signed by Christopher Daniels, Kazarian, Magnus, Chris Sabin, Joseph Park, and Mickie James.

A signed CD from Mickie James (from last year's fair), and a signed photo from her at a Covey Pro show in April.

Another signed photo from Scott Hall (as Razor Ramon) from the same Covey Pro event.

And last night in Hagerstown, I had a program signed by EC3, Magnus, Eddie Edwards, Gunner, and Madison Rayne.

I'll soon be getting Bret Hart's autograph at some video game store in October.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 19th, 2014, 3:26 pm #139

Final game of the season, for me, last night. Got the following:

-Bob Brenly (sweet spot baseball, since he was the D-Backs manager in 2001 World Series)
-Wade Miley (card)
-Cody Ross (card)
-Mike Fetters (card)
-Brandon Barnes (card)
-Charlie Blackmon (card)

-With the exception of Blackmon, all were post-game outside the main gate. The Old Man also got Eddie Butler.

Mail stuff, recently:
-Tom Burgmeier (70s/80s pitcher)
-Danny Darwin (x2)

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2014, 9:47 pm #140

Mail stuff:
BASEBALL
-Danny Tartabull (x2)
-Larry McWilliams (80's Pirates pitcher... took about 8 months)
-Eddie Taubensee (x2. Very good signer. Usually sends you back an extra card of his own)
-Matt Young
-Kevin Bass (x2)
-Bryan Harvey (x3. Kept seeing his cards as I was throwing out "commons", so I thought: 'why not'?)

FOOTBALL
-Dan Reeves ("my boys have tremen-nus speed")
-Jim Jensen (same as the Harvey thing)