Moderator: Mad Dog

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 1st, 2013, 1:43 am #121

Yeah, Steve Trachsel just did that to me. It worked out for me though as I sent him an 08 Upper Deck card and he sent back a 1994 Bowman which has him in a Cubs uniform. I'll take it!

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 1st, 2013, 4:07 pm #122

The only reason I sent a card to Chisenhall was because I had an extra. I mean, there's nothing else I could do with an extra 2013 Topps Lonnie Chisenhall card. He sent me back a 2012 Topps Heritage, which I suppose is slightly cooler.

I imagine when something gets mixed up like, the guy usually has a lot of requests and it's easy to mix up cards and envelopes. Besides, the Tribe's in a frickin' pennant chase. In the end, he probably thinks: "well, everyone just wants an autographed card". Which is accurate, even if it makes us feel a little bit like a leech.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 1st, 2013, 5:47 pm #123

I think a lot of guys let it build up all season and then do it all the last couple of weeks of the season.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 11th, 2013, 8:38 pm #124

Got two back, this week.

-Andy Ashby (about 3 months turnaround)
-Peyton Manning (about 2 week turnaround-- thanks, Mad Dog)!!

Manning has to be the biggest "superstar name" I've gotten through-the-mail. Around here, right now, that's like getting an autograph from Whatever Religious Deity You Dig.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 12th, 2013, 7:47 pm #125

Keeping the Donkey mojo going, as I got two signed cards back from STEVE ATWATER!

Sent a 1990 Fleer, because it's a great shot of him from his rookie season, the card autographs well and it has the old orange/blue color scheme. Then sent a 1998 Upper Deck "Collector's Choice" card because it show him in the 1997 Super Bowl season with the blue/"predominantly orange" uniform.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

October 13th, 2013, 12:30 am #126

Awesome. Glad to see he signed for you. He's a legit 50/50 shot it seems.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 22nd, 2013, 1:31 am #127

Haven't done any of these for awhile, but saw this notice on another site, from someone who sent his cards to Lawrence Phillips. In prison.

I would laugh, but it's sad all around.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 6th, 2014, 3:46 pm #128

Picked up the following in the last two or three weeks:

-Mike Kingery
-Frank Tanana (only guy to throw in the 90's in the 70's and in the 70's in the 90's. Hey-oh! Also added his own promotional faith-based card)
-Andre Reed

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 12:44 am #129

Got a through-the-mail card from Broncos Ring of Famer Billy Thompson. Had an extra card of his, lying around, and heard he might be at some "Broncos Fan Rally". Didn't want to put up with that bullshit, so I mailed him a request.

Got some great autographs, today at "Rockies Fan Fest" (all current Rockies, of course)

-Justin Morneau
-Juan Nicasio
-Brandon Barnes
-Walt Weiss
-Brett Anderson

Plus an old Memphis Chicks minor league card, signed by alumni Brent Mayne; jokingly known as the "winningest catcher in Rockies history".

They had a "garage sale" of old autographed crap in the basement. For $5 charity donations each, I picked up sweet-spot balls signed by:
-Preston Wilson (nobody else could identify the signature, nor remember him. Googling "Preston Wilson autograph" on my phone helped)
-Denny Neagle (most famous, in Denver, for soliciting a prostitute. But he was on the '92 Pirates)
-Stan Belinda ('92 Pirates, as well. Part of my worst baseball memory, which I'm finally over)
-Ray King

Damn, but some lady kept HOLLERING: "where is Giambi?! I want Giambi" ever 30 seconds. No exaggeration.

Picked up a Pirates visiting locker tag for James McDonald for $5, too. Not too bad, it's about 18 inches long and has official emblems and colors. Will look good on the Pirates section of my mural.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 3:01 pm #130

I'm behind on posting pictures.

Some of my recent gets:

Muggsy Bogues
Eric Decker
Karl Mecklenburg
Ron Francis
Tim Belcher