Moderator: dynamite kido

New Japan Pro Wrestling

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 20th, 2014, 7:57 pm #1

I know there's only like 6 or 7 of us left, but I can't be the only one watching any NJPW, right? Their iPPVs have become quite the rage among the IWC over the last year.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 20th, 2014, 10:30 pm #2

IVP did away with their download service right when I started buying shows again.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 21st, 2014, 2:30 am #3

That's bad timing. I was sad to see all the Dragon Gate Japan stuff disappear from IVP, I'm guessing they complained.

Last I checked, there were plenty of NJPW dvds still for sale, was considering making a substantial order at some point.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 21st, 2014, 3:22 am #4

Yeah, it was just nice paying as you go instead of throwing down $30 to justify shipping.

The DG stuff is because of Gabe I think.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 26th, 2014, 10:13 pm #5

I shoulda known. That sucks, because I ordered some DG from IVP and it was fantastic quality. I love having the TV show, with all the Japanese commercials included. It was quite novel.

I enjoyed recapping the NJPW/CMLL iPPV last week. I'm not sold that Tetsuya Naito is that good of a talent, but his feud with Tomohiro Ishii could provide some good singles matches.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

December 31st, 2014, 6:06 pm #6

Anyone planning on ordering Wrestle Kingdom this weekend? I'd heard it was going to be 24.99, but it's coming up as 34.99 on my Dish Network (in both SD and HD) so that's a bit of a taller order, even if it's four hours of Jim Ross calling the action.

If you read my NJPW reviews from earlier this year, you know that I'm not overly cuckoo for New Japan at this point, but it's hard not to get caught up in the online excitement for their product. They have their own version of WWE Network now (New Japan World) that I'm toying with trying out, especially since the app is available on my android tablet.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 31st, 2014, 6:33 pm #7

I feel so out of the loop with everything non-WWE that it's hard to get into a new product. I'm sure if I sat down and gave a few shows a look, I'd be hooked.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 4th, 2015, 9:05 pm #8

I'm a bit dismayed that Dish isn't offering Wrestle Kingdom 9 in HD (they were going to, but looks like they had to open up the PPV channel for The Interview) but I'm going to order anyway, even though paying 35 dollars for a show in SD seems a bit sad.

I suppose I could sign up for New Japan World, but I'm not 100% sure that the show is on their VOD already, and I wanted to hear Jim Ross call wrestling again, so I'm sticking with pay-per-view (this time).

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 6th, 2015, 12:06 pm #9

Probably won't have time to do a proper review due to my schedule, but here's my snowflakes based on my first viewing:

reDRagon vs. Young Bucks vs. Timesplitters vs. Forever Hooligans: ***
Jarrett and Friends vs. Honma and Friends: **
Yano and NOAH Guys vs. Suzuki-Gun: **
Sakuraba vs. Suzuki: ***
Ishii vs. Makabe: ***1/2
Taguchi vs. Omega: ***3/4
Goto and Shibata vs. Anderson and Gallows: ***1/4
Naito vs. Styles: ***3/4
Nakamura vs. Ibushi: ****3/4
Tanahashi vs. Okada: ****1/2

Top to bottom enjoyable show, lacking the obnoxious filler of the previous full NJPW shows I'd seen. The last two matches were bonafide MOTYC's and worth checking out. I really enjoyed hearing Jim Ross call wrestling again, and while he was flustered at times, he added a lot of drama and intrigue to the big matches, filling me in on some details that would otherwise have been lost in translation. Wrestle Kingdom 9 is an easy Thumbs Up.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

January 14th, 2015, 9:29 pm #10

I was happy to set my DVR to tape the first episode of New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS. The show is meant to catch new fans up on the last 2-3 years of happenings in the company, and they're showing a Tanahashi vs. Okada match from 2013 right off the bat.

If the show does well, they'll have a second run of "Best of" type stuff, and if that does well, they could start having first-run programming.