Moderator: dynamite kido

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

August 5th, 2015, 1:18 am #11

I signed up for World finally. Absolutely great service.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

March 9th, 2016, 5:52 pm #12

I convinced the wife to get cable so I could watch Hockey and English Football. Bonus: New Japan on AXS. I just finished an episode from two weeks back with AJ Styles vs. Kota Ibushi. It was the entire episode, and it was fantastic. About to watch JR's first episode, which also looks fantastic.

I love the presentation, I love the press conference interviews afterwards, and I absolutely love that winning and losing seems to really matter
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

July 9th, 2018, 12:55 am #13

So, I finally got around to ordering New Japan World. I watched the San Francisco special and enjoyed the hell out of it (review coming soon) and was impressed by the quality of the VOD stream. I really like where the product is right now with Omega as champion and Cody and the Young Bucks thriving.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

July 26th, 2018, 12:48 am #14

I feel like with the G1 Climax tournament, I'd either have to review the entire thing (which is more than a dozen shows over the course of the summer and I'm already 7 shows behind from going on vacation) or not reviewing any of it (well, maybe the finale, we'll see how things go) but I did watch Night 1 and enjoyed it.

Jay White vs. Okada was a very good main event, with Okada disrespectfully toying with White in the early going, only to suffer an aggravating back injury from getting repeatedly driven into the apron and guard rails. White pulls off a pretty big upset, and is really making a name for himself as a spectacular dickhead.

Tanahashi vs. Suzuki felt important due to the stature of the stars involved and ended up being a satisfying encounter. I like that New Japan doesn't shy away from having guys not only win cleanly, but win convincingly (not this booking notion that exists in WWE that everything is 50/50 and everyone only seems to ever win via luck). So yeah, good victory by Tanahashi.

Michael Elgin is playing up an arm injury, as it was worked over in his match against EVIL.

I wasn't feeling the YOSHI-HASHI vs. Togi Makabe match all that much other than appreciating the story that Kevin Kelly told highlighting YOSHI-HASHI's shortcomings in past G1 tournaments and lack of big singles wins this year. It gave the match a sense of urgency that otherwise they didn't earn, as I didn't feel convinced that either guy was trying to win the match so much as just get through the performance.

The first hour or so of filler was inoffensive and breezed by quickly enough.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

July 28th, 2018, 11:56 pm #15

Been watching Night 2 incrementally, and kind of wishing I was reviewing it, since I'm just sitting at my computer anyhow. 

Ishii vs. Toru Yano was great fun. Yano tries to step up and go toe to toe with Ishii, but still resorts to his fair share of tricks, and Ishii eventually blocks a low blow only to deliver one of his own for the cathartic victory. 

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

July 29th, 2018, 12:28 am #16

Ibushi vs. Sabre Jr. ended up being one of those technically great matches that just fell flat with me because I wasn't connecting with any characters or story. Kept finding myself browsing the net on the side.

Omega vs. Naito was simply tremendous. Omega goes for his One Winged Angel move on the top rope, which requires an electric chair set-up, and Naito countered into a powerbomb off the top. From there, Naito was definitely fighting from under, but again, Omega put together a convincing sequence of attacks for the non-random, non-luck victory. 

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 8th, 2018, 11:45 am #17

Ibushi vs. Naito from Night 14 has one of the most glaring no-selling issues I've seen in a long time. Naito spends the first 8 minutes of the match working over Ibushi's leg and then it just magically heals so he can do all the same stunts he does anyway, including landing on his feet after taking a reverse-rana from the top rope. I'm seeing the match universally praised across the internet (some going as high as five stars) but I crapped all over it in the review I submitted last night. Probably not a popular opinion, but oh well, it was the wrestling equivalent of seeing a really talented actor in a movie with bad make-up or accent.