The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

March 23rd, 2016, 3:30 pm #11

I think the worst offender for melodrama has to be Arrow. After the first season, it's gone off the soap opera deep end. Flash does have some very pretty people, but it has better pacing and action that actually gets me interested. Although it does have some soap opera moments.

The Daredevil melodrama doesn't bother me as much. I think it's because it's actually saying something thematically. The 3rd episode uses Daredevil and Punisher to actually discuss what being a hero means, which seems hilariously prescient with Batman V Superman coming out. Although, it could be annoying if you've spent more time reading super-nerds arguing online about whether or not Superman kills.

Overall, I've really enjoyed this season of Daredevil. Although I agree that the stairway fight was a bit of overkill. The one in the first season wasn't so bad, as there were pauses were everyone wheezed and showed that they were tired. I felt it was a great contrast to the movie fight scenes where everyone is smiling and joking throughout the big battles
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 24th, 2016, 6:36 pm #12

Just looked up the top of this thread and noticed:
wrote:There will be 13 episodes devoted to each of the four main characters — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist — plus a four-to-eight episode mini-series centered on “The Defenders” team that will wrap it all together.
So when did they decide to add in a second 13-episode season of "Daredevil"? I was kinda' hoping we'd get Luke's solo series, then Iron Fist, before everybody teamed up in 'Defenders", then went back to their own second seasons.

I'm also wondering if "Luke Cage" got pushed aside or nixed, since he was a fairly huge part of "Jessica Jones".

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

March 24th, 2016, 11:34 pm #13

As far as I know, Luke Cage is still a go. I haven't heard any more rumblings about the combined mini-series, but I guess that wouldn't be until 2018 if it does happen, and they'll just keep churning out seasons of each show in the mean time.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

March 24th, 2016, 11:35 pm #14

The Swigg Lebowski,Mar 23 2016 wrote: I think the worst offender for melodrama has to be Arrow. After the first season, it's gone off the soap opera deep end. Flash does have some very pretty people, but it has better pacing and action that actually gets me interested. Although it does have some soap opera moments.
Easily. I can't stomach any more "I'm breaking up with you for your own good" type stories.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 20th, 2017, 6:13 pm #15

So...FINALLY finished "Luke Cage" and it was a chore. Right now, I can safely say that it was my least favorite of the 4 Marvel series they've done.

When it was Luke doing Luke Things, I liked it. He's usually quiet and collected and seems like a very approachable, level-headed, guy. I also liked his one or two episode "origin" story, where he had poofy hair and fought at Seagate Prison. The Harlem setting and music were well done, too. It's almost like they were trying for a modern-day (and serious) version of "Harlem Nights".

I also enjoyed the the Method Man appearance and his subsequent freestyle rap.

But the problems arose, quickly, and only compounded as the season continued.

1- The title says: "Luke Cage", but it may as well been "Misty Knight". There were some episodes where Luke was in maybe 10% and the other 90% was Misty, police procedural, and villain BS.

2- The villains stunk. Mahershala Ali was okay as "Cottonmouth". But they killed him off, halfway in, and the ridiculous "Diamondback/Willis Stryker" took over. His motivation was that his daddy never loved him? Alfre Woodard's "Black" Mariah got old quick, too.

3- A villain worth his own numbered point was "Shades", played by Theo Rossi. After seeing him get bunked up the anal love tunnel by a fat Marilyn Manson in "Sons of Anarchy", I can't take him seriously. They needed somebody with a more sinister demeanor to him. He seemed like a random goon, but he became increasingly more important. Bad casting, here.

4- No real connection with "Jessica Jones". Weird, considering Luke was a BIG part of that series. As the season started, I thought that maybe this was set before "JJ", but no. It wasn't until Claire Temple popped up that I realized it was set AFTER. There were little references to Frank Castle, Matt Murdock and even Justin Hammer, but they seemed almost obligatory.

5- The stories and action were kinda'....blah. There are no real "ESSENTIAL Luke Cage" stories out there, so that may have been one pothole. Jessica Jones had the whole mind-control thing, Daredevil had the Kingpin, Elektra and the Punisher. Luke had... bad guys who smuggled stuff.

Point that made me slap myself was (I think) episode 9. Luke and Misty are in the Harlem's Paradise bar, with gangsters shooting at them from all sides. Luke then carries Misty into the kitchen...and suddenly there's a secret bunker below the entire place that only a few know about. However, this secret bunker is also wired into the buildings' intercom system and it's somewhat easy for Claire Temple to get to it. The "secret subterranean escape route" was used a few times in "Daredevil" and I didn't like it there, either.

After this, I'm dreading having to start up "Iron Fist". I might just wait until "Defenders" comes along. In August, I think.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 18th, 2017, 5:20 pm #16

And, to very little surprise, "Defenders" also kinda' stunk.

Too much cheesy dialogue ("don't give in to fear") and way too much talking. The final two episodes heavily featured the cast waiting around in the police precinct, talking about how urgent it was that they face the bad guys. We've been ramping up to this big conflict and we want to see the final fight! Instead, it's lots of waiting. I almost feel like that was the intent of the writers/directors/etc to convey frustration to the audience.

I got into it around episodes 4-6, though. Stick (Scott Glenn) continued to steal the scene from others. Had a Comic Nerd Mark-Moment, too: Iron Fist enters the executive board room of the Hand, then the Luke Cage cavalry arrives! Great teamwork, as Iron Fist hid behind Cage's bulletproof body. I said: "Power Man and Iron Fist! Ho, I love it!"

Aside from that, it was 8 hours of the usual shlop. Really a shame that these things have tanked. We've now had SIX different serials and I can't say that I recommend any of them. "Punisher" is up next and I wouldn't be a Comic Book Nerd if I didn't think: "hey, that looks neat. Might give it a shot". That's the curse of the Comic Book Nerd-- you can't give it up and keep getting strung along in hopes of something nifty eventually happening.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm #17

I have watched Dareveil 1 & 2, but nothing else. Haven't heard much good about Luke Cage, but my stepson was watched Iron Fist, and really like it. I just don't really have the time or heart to start diving into Jessica Jones/LC/IF, and don't want to watch The Defenders without seeing them first. How about The Punisher? I HAVE heard some really good things about that.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 7th, 2018, 3:04 pm #18

I have steered completely clear of both Iron Fist and Punisher.

Oh, and it's total fanboy wishing if there's even one word regarding these Netflix shows in "Avengers: Infinity War". Just like Agents of SHIELD--- the connection only goes one way. TV references the movies, but it's not the other way around. I'd be fine with Dr. Strange making an off-hand comment about The Hand or something, but it's not going to happen.

Watched the first two episodes of CW's "Black Lightning", though. All I can really say about it is: "it's better than the other CW superhero crap I've tried". I appreciate that, for once, there's a lead superhero who's older than me! Even if he doesn't have a neck; which can be distracting.