Grant Morrison

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

4:04 AM - Aug 23, 2011 #1

Just wanted to vent for a moment. Tried to read his book "Supergods" at the bookstore the other day, and it was pretentious as hell. Couldn't get past the first chapter because he cant just say what he wants to say, he has to dance circles around it to show you how smart he is. Not to mention his "About the Author" paragraph basically called him the greatest most prolific writer ever. Then today I read an interview he did in Rolling Stone where he pisses on Millar for not bowing down to his Awesomeness and is just otherwise an asshole throughout. And I also just realized his Superman will be wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans. Is there anything that can make me think he's not a Douchebag? I think if you put him and Vince Russo in a room together they'd go gay for each other
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

2:42 PM - Aug 23, 2011 #2

It's okay, Swiggy. Vent all you want. We're here for you. Just give us a hug and think of the Corgis!

First, what the hell is Rolling Stone doing interviewing a frickin' comic book writer?

This is kinda' why I stay away from the whole "behind the scenes" crap. I've never been one to seek out a book (comic or otherwise) because a certain writer or artist is working on it. Most guys are egotistical cockbags who think they're something special because they work in a medium that's generally ignored by mass media. There's only so many times you can pull out the same shit of: "it's not your father's comic books! These are real people with real problems and this stuff has never been done before".

Prime example: Morrison's crappy issue of "Batman" that was written in prose. Completely awful junk and if it had NOT been in a comic book, nobody would've dared to read that bowl of chunky diarrhea.

When something like Rolling Stone or TIME magazine covers a comic book, the article is usually extremely complimentary because the writer of the article goes in expecting a Super Friends cartoon. Then the comic book writer or company takes that quote and slaps it on their marketing material (see: DC running quotes from mainstream magazines for their "One Year Later" shit. Marvel's done this, too).

To paraphrase a...gasp... ARTISTIC QUOTE that might make Grant Morrison jizzy: "sometimes a comic book is just a comic book".

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

4:20 PM - Aug 23, 2011 #3

I think they were interviewing him about his book. Honestly, I do have some writers I follow, but I know everyone is capable of bad writing. I'll give anything written by Brubaker or JMS a shot, same with Bendis and Millar. I've decided Against anything written by Morrison based off of his ruining Batman, but I didn't mind his X-Men run that much.

If he wouldn't put things like "Grant Morrison is one of the most popular and acclaimed contemporary writers of any genre" on everything he wrote I'd probably be a bit less annoyed.
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

9:13 PM - Aug 23, 2011 #4

"Scrooge McSuck is one of the most popular and acclaimed contemporary writers of any genre".

Yeah.... kinda' like that?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

9:41 PM - Aug 23, 2011 #5

I fucking hated his run with X-Men. Honestly, his run on JLA is probably the only thing he's written that I've really enjoyed.