Yes, there is other stuff on TV besides wrestling...

Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm #11

The trailer has me pumped up, but I do have one complaint... the awkward sith lightsaber with blades coming from the crossbar. Really? How is that practical!?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 1st, 2014, 5:40 pm #12

Scrooge McSuck,Dec 1 2014 wrote: The trailer has me pumped up, but I do have one complaint... the awkward sith lightsaber with blades coming from the crossbar. Really? How is that practical!?
Thought about that, too. My only guess is that it's like a hand guard on a traditional sword: it's protection for the hand. Considering Guys with LightSabers in Star Wars have a good track record of getting their hands sliced off, it's actually kinda' wise.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 2nd, 2014, 3:00 am #13

For no real reason, a semi-rare Marvel pin-up from the early 80's of the most overrated character in the franchise:

He has some of the colorings of his "Star Wars Holiday Special" appearance. Since it's an early rendering, some uber-fans get excited over this and think that Boba Fett was intended to be a good guy, since he's standing over a dead stromtrooper. Or, you can guess that he's on the stromtrooper's side and firing back at whoever shot the trooper-- which makes more sense.

Marvel's weird tagline about "Boba Fett defends his prize" is kinda' confusing, too.

When Boba Fett first came out as a mail-in figure, there was very little to tell us about him. As kids, we thought he might be a good guy, or even a "tweener". I held to that until I got a bath towel of "Empire" that showed him standing right new to Darth Vader. Got it well before I ever saw the movie. Darn bath towel spoiler.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 2nd, 2014, 3:11 am #14

If Boba Fett's the most overrated, then who wins the under? I'll say... the weird looking Kthulu looking things in Jaba's Palace.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm #15

The think the Cthulu things had some "Expanded Universe" backstory BS-- about how they were the sworn enemies of Admiral Ackbar's people.

Going strictly from the movies, I'd say "Plo Kloon"-- the Jedi with the weird head and gas mask from the prequels. Had "Boba Fett/Wolverine Syndrome"; background guy who simply LOOKED COOL. But I started watching the animated "Clone Wars" this week and he's kind of a redundant and worthless character, there. Is that entire series officially considered In Canon?

So I'd say "Slimy Lipped Guy Who Was Lando's Co-Pilot in Return of the Jedi". I'm sure I could look up his name, but he always fascinated me as a kid. Some completely unknown guy who's filling in for Chewbacca and flying the Millennium Frickin' Falcon on its biggest mission, with no on-screen explanation?! Made sense for Lando to fly the Falcon, though. Always thought that was cool.

Speaking of Lando--- why the HELL isn't Billy Dee Williams involved in "Episode VII"?! I liked how he kinda' joined the Main Cast, "Post-Empire".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 8th, 2014, 6:39 pm #16

Probably as part of both properties being under the Disney umbrella, Marvel is promoting new Star Wars comics for next year:
wrote:Star Wars – A Galaxy Not So Far Away!
That’s right! The new Marvel Star Wars comics will be released before you know it — faster than Han Solo can draw his gun on Greedo (well, that’s up for debate). Coming this January is Star Wars from all-star creative team Jason Aaron and John Cassaday. If you’re looking to join a darker side of the force, try Darth Vader from Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca, beginning in February. But sometimes it takes a strong female protagonist with a strong hairdo to settle the score, so look for Star Wars: Princess Leia from Mark Waid and Terry Dodson coming this March! If you can’t decide on one, order all three for a special combo price.
Really? Of all the characters to give a solo spin-off, you pick Princess Leia? Han and Chewie are sad. I also question the need for a Darth Vader comic, since he's dead and all. I can't see a clear answer on whether or not the regular "Star Wars" comic will be tied into Episode VII. Then, will these stories be officially "in canon" for the foreseeable future (5-10 years)?

"Star Wars", the comic, is part of what got me into comics as a wee lad. I liked them on some level (nostalgia), even though as I got older I realized they were garbage. Never got into the whole "Expanded Universe" junk from the 90's, but I was suckered into buying Dark Horse's "Star Wars #1" in 1999.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

October 29th, 2015, 9:55 pm #17

Soooooo, how about that trailer, eh? My inner 14 year old self is mad at me because this is the movie he wanted in 1999.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2015, 4:46 pm #18

Finally watched the full trailer, this morning. On my desktop, full-screen and with headphones. MUCH more engrossing than when I first watched it a few weeks ago on my iPhone. I'm sorry, but mobile phone video viewing is only good for two things: watching cute cat videos or baseball while waiting somewhere.

Anyways, I think the overall longevity and appeal of Episode VII will depend on the two new main characters-- the "I'm no one" chick and the ex-Stromtrooper guy (who appears to be carrying a lightsaber at one point?!). I think the ex-Trooper (Finn, right?) sounds like a good story all by himself.

Lots of Stormtrooper screentime in the trailers--- but they've become much more iconic in the past 30 years.

I still think/hope the main bad guy could be Luke after a freak-out/heel turn. Guy leaves his home, changes his lifestyle and career path, adopts a new religion, goes to war, almost dies several times and loses his hand... all over lust for some hot chick who ended up being his sister. To add insult, she ended up hooking up with a drug smuggler. Yeah, Luke doesn't need counseling.

After all... how is it that the new bad guy just happens to have Darth Vader's old burned-out helmet? One which Luke set fire to at the end of "Return of the Jedi".

I'm sure there's a reasonable (and kinda' cool) explanation for it, though. He was following the path of Vader and located his body on Endor. So he went there, after the Rebels had left, slaughtered a few Ewoks and found the helmet.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

November 2nd, 2015, 8:59 pm #19

I'm sensing that Luke Skywalker is going to be the surprise Big Bad villain of this trilogy. I think that's why we see so little of him in the trailers compared to how much we've glimpsed Han, Chewie, and now Leia. I think Kylo Ren will be a big deal, but I wonder if he's a red herring meant to distract us from the Skywalker factor.

I think it would be funny if after having Anakin as the hero of the first trilogy, and then villain to the second trilogy, Luke ends doing the same.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 22nd, 2015, 11:24 pm #20

So I'm guessing a few of you have seen this, by now. Feel free to talk about it and I'd say SPOILERS are okay.

I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon... so expect some babblings from me on Thursday morning. I know you're all waiting for that, because the entire frickin' world (and Internets) revolve around ME.