Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 24th, 2013, 3:36 pm #121

Wolverine & The X-men-" Thieves' Gambit" (2008)
As the title suggests, it's the intro of Gambit. He's basically a brand-new character and has no previous association with the X-men, as everybody else they've introduced has. He gets hired by Senator Kelly's henchwoman, Dr. Zane to steal an inhibitor collar that Forge has created. It boils down to Wolverine and Gambit vs. Bolivar Trask's Sentinel prototypes, as Wolverine is able to pull a switcheroo on Gambit with the collar.

Gambit leaves at the end, but this episode also introduced Magma as yet another "young mutant fleeing in terror". Magma was saved by the X-men and returned home to her father.

After a decent debut, these last two episodes have started to lose me.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 19th, 2013, 11:23 pm #122

Wolverine & The X-men- "X-Calibre"
Nightcrawler's been acting as a fairy godfather, of sorts, for mutants stowing away on freighters to Genosha. Spiral and her band of Reavers (Cole, Macon & Reece) have been pirating the freighters and taking the mutants to Mojo. Nightcrawler rallies some seemingly worthless mutants to fight off Spiral. The X-men arrive at the end, but Nightcrawler wants to stay in his current role and declines joining, for now.

Fairly worthless, as the X-men are basically a cameo and the whole plot is just there to play up Nightcrawler's swashbuckling fantasy.

Wolverine & The X-Men- "Wolverine vs. the Hulk"
Sort of a sequel to "Hulk vs. Wolverine", but now with 800% more Wendigo. SHIELD's been mucking around in the Canadian Wilderness and originally called in Bruce Banner to help. That didn't work as planned, so now they've gone to Wolvie. This time, it's more a team-up between the two and it turns out that SHIELD is the bigger villain.

Satisfying as a Wolvie solo cartoon, but it's too early in the series to veer off into non-mutant crossovers.

Wolverine & The X-Men- "Time Bomb"
Future Professor X warns Wolvie about Nitro ("The Biggest Mutant in the History of Sport"?). Nitro's been captured by the MRD, so the X-men and Brotherhood race to break him out. It all ends with a big fight on an ice shelf, as Rogue begins to reconsider joining the Brotherhood.

Nice to get back to the overall story arc, as the past few episodes have strayed from it. Quicksilver's written like a villainous JLU Flash, which doesn't work for me. I've always seen the character as a smug prick, not a wise-cracking smart ass.

These are getting tough to sit through and my enthusiasm for the series has drained.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 11th, 2013, 4:11 pm #123

Fantastic Four - "Now Comes the Sub-Mariner" (1994)
Can't believe I have the DVD set of this. Go back about 7 pages in this thread and you'll see the last time I watched it (2008, I think). It's the obligatory Namor episode, as they really play up his infatuation with Sue Richards. Krang and Dorma are around, with the latter acting like an evil manipulative bitch. Which makes it all the stranger to see Namor lament when she takes a bullet for him in the episode's "big" Atlantean battle in NYC.

Namor's voice is very well done, though. It's the type of voice I imagine when reading his comics. Since this is 1994, he's bulked up a bit and has a pony-tail.

I had forgotten how crap-tastic this FF series is/was. If I want to watch this set again, I'll just jump to the second season stuff, which I remember being somewhat tolerable. These first season episodes are true garbage. I'd really prefer Wonder Twins Super Friends episodes over this.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 11th, 2013, 10:39 pm #124

Wolverine and the X-men- "Future X"
Focus on Professor X, 20 years in the future, where he's one of the last X-men standing. Along with Cerebro, he gets captured by the Sentinels. In a prison camp, he meets Bishop, Marrow, Domino and some other fringe mutants (maybe Firestar). Led by Bishop, the Prof and the other mutants are able to recover Cerebro, shut down the camp and escape.

In the past (present), Professor X gets word to the X-men to search for the "Master Mold".

Good return to form for the series. I usually despise future stories, but when they concentrate on this it works well. Otherwise, it's just an even lamer version of the 90's FOX X-men show.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 11th, 2013, 3:03 pm #125

Super Friends (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, Hawkman & Hawkgirl)- "Revenge of Bizarro"
A short episode, from 1979 or 1980.. which I coulda' swore was on the "Lost Episodes" DVD, but apparently not. I'm guessing this ran in the second half hour of the "World's Greatest Super Friends" package. Bizarro comes to Earth with a "Bizarro Ray" to change everybody into a Bizarro (yes, I used "Bizarro" three times in one sentence; proper noun, adjective, then noun). He brings some Red Kryptonite to mess with Superman, who ends up with 4 extra limbs.

Quite a large cast for a "short". I remember liking this as a kid, because Hawkman uses his "laser bow". Hawkman always seemed SO much cooler on Super Friends than he ever was in the comics.

Bizarro always seemed much more diabolical in the 70's. He's just a flat-out evil Superman who talks funny. He became more playful in the mid-80's and into today.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 26th, 2013, 4:53 pm #126

Spider-Woman- "Pyramids of Terror"
Premiere episode of the short-lived 1979 Saturday morning cartoon. It's early "Marvel Productions" animation, as they haven't quite established what would be their 1980's MO. There appears to be some limited roto-scoping on some of Spider-Woman's movements (filming a live person, then drawing over them), especially in the intro. At-a-glance, Spider-Woman appears to be the same, but there are a ton of differences in both her powers and character, from comic to TV. She was still fairly new at this point, so it's understandable.

Spider-Man makes what's slightly more than a cameo appearance. He gets captured by alien mummies, early on, and does very little. The plot dabbles in the "ancient aliens" theories and the set-up is fairly decent... but the plot resolution makes little sense, even for a cartoon. To defeat the main flying pyramid, the Spider-Folk simply web around it and make it into a cube. There's also a scene that might be insulting to other faiths, as Egyptians suddenly see the flying pyramid and drop to their knees to pray.

Spider-Man seems to be voiced by the same guy from the 1967 series. Spider-Woman's voice was something of a big deal at the time, as she's voiced by TV actress Joan Van Ark. Basically, the production and animation is top-notch, so I'm curious to see if the plots improve as the series goes on.

I remember seeing a few minutes of this episode when we got a new independent station in the fall of 1983. The station dig up a lot of "old" super hero cartoons that had gone off the air. The old 1960's DC stuff, old 60's and 70's Marvel; basically everything but "Super Friends". Yet Spider-Woman was one I never watched. This show only had about 12 episodes, so it wasn't on their schedule long. I think they ran it every weekday morning in the 7:30-8:00am slot, so you could see how it got old after 3 weeks. I think they ran the 1970's "Fantastic Four" and then "Aquaman", until they filled the slot with some new show called "Inspector Gadget".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 4th, 2014, 1:18 am #127

Free time today, so really amped up my VHS-to-DVD conversions. Now on about YEAR EIGHT of doing this. Converted about 8 or 10 episodes of DC junk, with these being the highlights.

Superman- "Luthor Strikes Again" (1968)
Re-appeared during the late 90's on "Toonami" and the "Superman/Batman Adventures" package that used to air on USA a few years, earlier. I remember really freaking out over that show in my early 20's.

Luthor kidnaps Jimmy Olsen to lure in Superman to a paint factory. "The man of FLESH will defeat the Man of Steel". Wow, does that sound inappropriate. Luthor tries to make Kryptonite paint, but miscalculates and uses lead-based paint. D'oh.

Superboy- "The Space Refugees"
Superboy befriends some stranded aliens (from the "Planet Zerg", no less). But some hillbilly crooks buried their lot under their landing site. Pretty un-threatening bad guys, but since it's Superboy the plots usually tend to make even the smallest problem into something big. Of course Krypto's along, as well. As a kid, seeing Krypto was about the only appeal to me for these episodes. Always thought it was just...cute... how Superman had his dog buddy to help him out in his younger days.

Super Friends- (Superman, Batman & Robin) "The Secret Four" (circa 1978)
Basically a Scooby-Doo episode with super powers mixed in. Complete with the "let's see who they REALLY are" ending. A group of industrialists are masquerading as the hooded "Secret Four", using their uber-powerful weapons to double as eco-terrorists. No explanation of how the Four were able to create things like a "tornado machine" and instantly create other weather catastrophes. They just use a MACHINE, darnit. Turn it to "off" and you've defeated them. Blast! Superman delivers a lecture, at the end, about how "we all need to find new sources of energy".

Also copied over some episodes of "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" via the Kindle Fire; but was doing it concurrently and didn't get a chance to really watch them.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 11th, 2014, 12:19 am #128

Watched up to about episode 21 of Wolverine & the X-men. It takes the gist of the characters from across all the different "eras" of the X-men and works them into one (fairly) cohesive story. Sure, there's a time travel thing, but it's not the usual ol' "Days of Future Past" stuff, note-by-note. It has elements of that, but it also has elements of other X-men stuff.

While it can get melodramatic, for the most part it's probably the best TV translation of the X-men. There's a HUGE cast of characters. The main ones get enough focus and when the cameo or guest-stars pop-up, they don't detract too much from the main story. There are a few characters I've been clueless on, but it hasn't ruined my viewing, since they're window-dressing.

My favorite episode has probably been the Cyclops flashback (not sure of the episode title). Starts all the way back to the early 1960's X-men, with a modern twist. Least favorite was with Mojo.

They had a focus episode on Angel, which was a little disappointing because he was rushed into becoming Archangel much too quickly. I get that Angel's usually worthless and there's always a rush to get him into "Arch" mode, where he's actually useful in a fight.

Overall: Recommended "binge viewing" if you're into superhero cartoons or are an X-men fan.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

March 21st, 2014, 8:48 pm #129

Wolverine & the X-men: "Foresight, Part 1-3" (episodes 24-26)
The season (series) finale, as everything comes to a head between Magneto's Genosha, the MRD's Sentinels and, most importantly, the Phoenix.

The Phoenix is portrayed as more of selective virus that has circulated exclusively amongst telepaths for centuries. The Inner Circle (80's Hellfire Club, without the history) has been trying to control it. The series-opening explosion was revealed to have been caused by Jean grey tapping into the Phoenix, but it's then shown that the Circle's Emma Frost was on-hand to kick-start things.

By using Emma's "cuckoos" (who aren't explained), the Inner Circle draws the Phoenix out of Jean and begins controlling it. It's sent to wipe out the Sentinels, X-men and Genosha. Magneto had already reprogrammed the Sentinels and flown with them to NYC to start the big Mutant vs. Human war.

In the future, Prof X, Bishop, Wolverine and some others all attack the Master Mold. No real conclusion is shown as Polaris arrives and they all get sucked into a vortex created by Master Mold. They spent the second half of the series playing up Master Mold like Terminator's "Skynet".

In the present, Emma Frost sacrifices herself to stop and disperse the Phoenix. Everything appears resolved and the big war is avoided. The X-men get home and receive another message from Future Professor X: the bleak Sentinels future is no more, but there's a new future to worry about: the Age of Apocalypse.

The series really tied up too quickly after throwing out TONS of little plot-lines. Sure, some stuff was set aside for a potential "Season 2" that never was. Like Sinister, Apocalypse and Angel/Archangel, for one. The stuff with Gambit was another that just seemed forced in. There's also some fuzzy timeline logic that they probably would've cleaned up in Season 2.

Also: for being played-up as such HUGE threats, the Sentinels seemed to blow-up easily in the finale. The Future Sentinels seemed formidable, though. It's also strange how SHIELD makes a cameo appearance in the finale, as we're reminded of a "shared universe". Makes it weird that nobody would show up to fight the Sentinels in midtown Manhattan. Another reason why the entire X-men concept of "Being Feared and Hunted by a World They're Sworn to Protect" works GREAT in a vacuum, but not so much when placed alongside other Marvel heroes.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 14th, 2014, 10:39 pm #130

Cleaning out an old VHS "jam tape" that I made in 1996; a time when super hero cartoons were all over the place. Here's some stuff that I taped from "The Superman/Batman Adventures" on USA Network.

Super Friends (Aquaman, Hawkman and Hawkgirl)- "The Oil Monster"
A freak accident in Alaska creates, well, an Oil Monster. Aquaman tries fighting it alone, until the Hawks fly in for the assist. Hawkman then gets a bright idea: go to the local general store and buy all the laundry detergent...since it "cuts oil and grease". Yeah, it works.

Super Friends (Apache Chief, Batman & Robin)- "Big Foot"
Apache Chief returns home, where he reunites with his mentor, some other tribesmen, and his buddy/brother Walking Eagle. Eagle's kinda' neat-- like Apache Chief, he says a magic word and transforms into an eagle.

They're soon captured by a group of BIGFOOTS (Bigfeet?). Batman and Robin arrive to help out and also get captured. Batman uses the radio transistors in his teeth to reach the Bat-Computer and send the Bat-buggy. Turns out, the Bigfeet are stranded aliens from the planet Nova who just want a ride home. With help from the Bat-Translator, the Super Friends help rebuild their ship and send them home. Batman is his usual 70's schoolteacher self, as he scolds them, saying: "you should've asked peacefully".

The stuff with Batman is the usual Super Friends Stupidity, but once again I'm liking a "short" where Apache Chief gets the spotlight. Kinda' cool that he was part of a "Native American Super Friends" and Walking Eagle gets my vote for "Neatest TV-Only Fringe Super Friends Character".

Super Friends (Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman, Flash)- "Scorpio"
In "Arabia", scientist are trying to create a growth formula to solve hunger problems ("Here! Have a Giant Tomato!" SPLOTCH). This creates a somewhat creepy mutant scorpion called "Scorpio". he wants to make more giant bugs and rule the world. What will he do with all these giant bugs and how will it actually benefit him? Dammit, he's going to rule the world!

While he's active, Flash's appearance is little more than a cameo. Funny line from Robin, too: "Holy Jiminy! A giant cricket!"

Super Friends (Aquaman & Green Lantern)- "Flood of Diamonds"
From the early "shorts", circa 1977, as Aquaman and Green Lantern fly to South Africa to help with a diamond mine cave-in. They get no less than giant frickin' whale to help them clear the mine out.

I remember seeing this "live" and I think it was the first time I ever saw Green Lantern in my life. I thought he was COOL! He has a neat costume and his own green plane! It was really just a re-colored Batplane, but it stuck with me. Until I saw more episodes with GL and wondered: "why the heck did he ever need a plane"?