You wanted it, you got it. Just don't get too geeky on me.
Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm #101

captcomic83,Oct 2 2012 wrote: Agree with me?
Nope. And could not care less.

One more Red Circle reference or plug from you and you're gone. I mean it. Sick of this. Especially when it has very little to do with whatever the topic at hand is.

Just because somebody, somewhere, is talking about comics or super-hero crap, that is NOT an invitation for you to talk about Red Circle.

The Swigg Lebowski
dWb Superstar

October 3rd, 2012, 12:02 am #102

What in the bule hell is red circle?
Scrooge McSuck wrote:I'm too hefty for my slacks. The zippers off it's tracks. I've stretched it to the maa-a-a-a-x.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 3rd, 2012, 2:41 am #103

The Swigg Lebowski,Oct 2 2012 wrote: What in the bule hell is red circle?
Collective name for the "Archie Heroes". Shield, the Fly, etc.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 18th, 2012, 10:09 pm #104

Spider-Man- "The Incredible Shrinking Spider-Man" (1981)
A shunned janitor steals the gadgets of his scientist boss and becomes "The Gadgeteer". He proves somewhat proficient, as he uses a shrink ray to shrink Spidey down to 2 inches tall. A toy company's "remote control Spider-Man figures" play into the plot a bit and after a big showdown at a science fair, things are back to normal.

This seemed like it would be a stupid episode, but it's rather entertaining. Sure, some obstacles like Spidey facing a house cat aren't too amazing. But there are no real plot holes and things move at a decent pace. For once, Spidey's pranks against JJJ backfire as he puts his 2 inch self in mortal danger. This shrinking gimmick is definitely a story that would only work well for a cartoon and not a comic book.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 21st, 2012, 12:15 am #105

Spider-Man- "The Unfathomable Professor Gizmo"
In something that seems pulled from "Super Friends", Professor Gizmo is able to remote control any type of vehicle. His master plan is to raise a sunken Spanish PADDLE BOAT from the bottom of the ocean. He captures Spider-Man and forces him to help... surmising that Spider-Man's powers are just like those of a diving bell spider.

Whatever. Arguably the worst episode I've seen of this series. Oh, and Jameson suddenly has his own TV channel, "JJJ Network".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 21st, 2012, 7:18 am #106

Hulk vs. Thor... Hulk vs. Wolverine (2008)
Packaged together on Netflix, it's two separate 45 minutes featurettes. The Thor segment is very well done. Loki brings the Hulk to Asgard, with appearances from almost every relevant character of the "Thor-verse". Bit of a twist as Hela and her realm of Hel play a key part. Makes me want a full-on Thor cartoon.

The Wolverine episode isn't as good. It's a loose adaptation of Wolverine's first appearance in Hulk #181... but subtract Wendigo and add all the 90's Weapon X spin-off characters (Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Deadpool and Omega Red). There's even a worthless cameo of X-23. The second half of this feature is all about Wolverine and the Weapon X program and you almost forget Hulk's around. It's heavy on the violence and ends with no definitive conclusion. If you LOVE Wolverine, you'll probably dig it. If you don't love him, it's more fuel for why you probably don't care for him.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 23rd, 2012, 8:58 pm #107

Spider-Man - "Canon of Doom" (1981)
Dr. Doom takes advantage of Jameson's generosity and ignorance to set up an earthquake-creating canon on Long Island. No plot-holes, as everyone makes to sure to explain what's going on; including Doom mentioning the satellite control chip that Goron stole a few episodes back.

The little duel between Spidey and Doom is fairly ordinary, but the real treat to this episode is that it includes a flashback to Dr. Doom's origin and days as a gypsy. All sorts of good stuff in here, including a cameo at ESU ("Eastern State Univ") by an unnamed Reed Richards. The subplot with the Latverian resistance receives a lot of screen-time, too.

NASA confiscates Doom's canon and wants to send part of it into orbit, "next month". Which will play into the final Doom episode.

The Dr. Doom episodes seem to get better as the season progresses. This is #4 of 5, so I'm guessing they potentially built these to run as a "mini-series" for a full set of weekday afternoons.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 28th, 2012, 11:36 pm #108

Spider-Man - "The Capture of Captain America" (1981)
Jameson decides to stage a "Captain America Day". When Cap appears, he's yup, captured by the Red Skull. Spidey tries to help, but gets in the way and everybody in NYC thinks he's a jerk.

Spidey temporarily dons an oversized Cap costume (from "Stan's Costume Shop", no less) and tracks down the Skull's castle. Skull's trying to swap brains with Cap (which he seems to attempt quite often), but it's foiled when Skull's underling turns on him.

Probably the best episode of the entire series, thus far. Very good attention to detail in the plot and in the actual animation. The costume shop has quick shots of Phoenix, Storm, Power Man and a few other Marvel notables. A brief newsreel film of Cap's origin is even included. I'm pretty sure Marvel's 80's cartoons were outsourced to Japan, or they used a lot of anime artists. It really starts to show at Skull's castle, but it doesn't hinder the episode at all.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm #109

Spider-Man- "The Doom Report" (1981)
Johan, the Latverian freedom fighter finally makes it to New York to tell the world the real scoop on Dr. Doom. The Latverian underground in NYC turns out to be working with Doom, who sabotage Johan and Spidey's return to Latveria.

Of course, since it's Doom, the UN is involved once again. This time, they want to try Doom for charges of tyranny, but he appears on a monitor and threatens to flood the world with his new weather device. Spidey's able to blow-up Doom's device and Castle Doom is destroyed in the process. Johan and his pals think Doom is "dead" (even saying that world. Usually forbidden for an 80's kids' show), but Doom crawls out of the rubble to ruin their mood.

Not really a great Spider-Man cartoon, but a decent episode dealing with Dr. Doom. It really could've been any superhero in the main role. Johan gets the last name "Klebbel" and even a few of his buddies get names. I'm sure there were some Latverian resistance fighter stories, somewhere, in the comics. But I can't think of them and don't think it was used too often.

I also can't count, because there's actually one more Doom episode, bringing the total to 6. Ruins my theory about them potentially being played on weekday afternoons.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 21st, 2012, 3:54 pm #110

Spider-Man- "Web of Nephilia" (1981)
A manipulative woman is obsessed with Spider-Man and gets her scientist boyfriend to turn into "Nephilia"; a half-man/half-spider thing with golden webbing. Nice little zoology lesson, as nephilia spiders are pretty interesting in their own right. He even shoots webbing out of his rear-end. But ,dang, do giant spiders creep me out.

Like the "Green Goblin" episode, this one was also re-worked a few years later for "Spider-Man and this Amazing Friends" when a guy became "The Arachnoid". The character designs of Nephilia and the Arachnoid are very similar. A few differences, though, as the dynamic between the scientist and his girlfriend was more positive. There, they were in love which each other. Here, the girl's just using Nephilia to rob a shipment of gold and she hollers "I never loved you" at the end.

Pretty sure Nephilia was another cartoon-only guy. It finally dawned on me why the intro to this Spidey series featured Dr. Doom and no other recognizable villains. At the time this series came out, the 1967 Spidey cartoons had re-run all over the country for years. Probably even simultaneously as this series. They had to do something to distinguish it from the well-known '67 stuff. So no Lizard, Vulture, Doc Ock, etc in the intro (Green Goblin, known at the time as Spidey's Arch Enemy makes a quick appearance, though).