Moderator: whitemilesdavis

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 29th, 2018, 8:14 pm #1721

I'm watching No Holds Barred for the first time in years (since I covered it on Da' Site). Wow. It's worse every time. It's like Hulk and Vince looked at the scripts of Rocky 2, 3, and 4 and combined them all together and made everything they stole as lame as possible.

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

May 30th, 2018, 2:09 am #1722

Scrooge McSuck wrote:After watching everything I can from 1990 through the Spring of 1993, I'd strongly consider Fred Ottman one of the worst wrestlers of the era. Ignoring his undeserved push as Hogan's buddy, the guy is awful, and I can't think of any good matches he had. Hell, I can't think of many matches that were just "average" (2-stars). His work is light, he can't bump or sell, and he had little personality that translated to terrible promos.
I'll always have a soft spot for the Disasters run but Tugboat? Nope.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 30th, 2018, 3:48 pm #1723

I felt Tugboat was the 1990 version of Hillbilly Jim. Right down to the Hogan-buddy thing. He had a good, gimmicky, look for the period and even had a "crowd communicator catchphrase"-- his tugboat whistle that seemed inspired by Hacksaw's "hooooo".

So, on paper, to the WWF, he seemed like a good character. Yet his ring work was the drizzling bubbles.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 31st, 2018, 4:04 pm #1724

While I wait for some content to add to my 1993 Flashbacks, I've rewound the clock and popped in some 1989.

Were the Bushwhackers intended to be "New Outback Jack"? Vignettes show them running around the United States and acting like goofy foreign tourists, not unlike Outback was meant to be.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 16th, 2018, 2:25 pm #1725

I can't believe we left that Bushwhackers question unacknowledged. IMO, I think they were intended to be more along the lines of "George the Animal Steele--in a tag team!" Steele had just left, so they needed somebody to fill the role. Initially, I felt like they had to really push them as fun-loving goofs, since "smart" fans knew them as these hardcore, blood-thirsty Sheepherders.

The Old Lady's been watching GLOW (the series) on Netflix. I walked in and noticed that Chavo Guererro, Jr made an appearance! Not as "Chavo", but a random wrestler. I caught Brodus Clay and Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Impact/Mundo on there, last season. I'm sure there have been others.

Oh, by the way, Marc Maron makes that show and is absolutely awesome.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 21st, 2018, 3:14 am #1726

Unpopular opinion... babyface Mabel was fucking awesome. I preach the "babyface Goliath doesn't work" theory, but good god, he was over. Maybe not WWF Title material, but his solo run could've been handled much better in '94 (before the heel turn and an attempt at making him a Hogan-era monster heel for Diesel to destroy).

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

July 21st, 2018, 4:37 am #1727

I don't think Mabel was ever really over. I think at the beginning the Men on a Mission gimmick with Oscar rapping was over

But in a similar way that Brodus Clay was originally over dancing with the Funkadactyls

Then Mabel and brodus were quickly discarded by the fans as they sucked in the ring

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

July 21st, 2018, 4:39 am #1728

Erick Von Erich wrote:I can't believe we left that Bushwhackers question unacknowledged. IMO, I think they were intended to be more along the lines of "George the Animal Steele--in a tag team!" Steele had just left, so they needed somebody to fill the role. Initially, I felt like they had to really push them as fun-loving goofs, since "smart" fans knew them as these hardcore, blood-thirsty Sheepherders.

The Old Lady's been watching GLOW (the series) on Netflix. I walked in and noticed that Chavo Guererro, Jr made an appearance! Not as "Chavo", but a random wrestler. I caught Brodus Clay and Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Impact/Mundo on there, last season. I'm sure there have been others.

Oh, by the way, Marc Maron makes that show and is absolutely awesome.
I agree with what you said about the Buschwackers. I remember the first skit and I was like oh well guess the UWF bloody brawling version of them were gone.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 23rd, 2018, 8:04 pm #1729

MOM matches had decent crowd heat despite the era of murkiness. They were far more over than just their entrance where Oscar babbles incoherent nonsense 99% of the time. Way more over than the Smoking Gunns and... well, that's it, I guess. No one is touching the Steiner Brothers, but for a team with no credentials anywhere in the Northeast, they came in and got over in short order. When they split them up, instead of protecting Mabel, he's doing jobs like a goof to IRS and Double J on PPV, flopping like a fish. Give him a serious push, and maybe things change.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 23rd, 2018, 8:13 pm #1730

I binge watched Season 2 of GLOW (twice) and thought it was better than Season 1 (having to do less character introductions helps). I really hated Allison Brie's character for most of Season 1, but her goofy charm as Ruth won me over and she's become one of my favorite characters (along with Sam and Sheila, of all characters). I'm looking forward to Season 3 and fleshing them out more, especially with Bash. I have my own speculations, but with the new season fresh, I won't go into spoilers, but I feel like he's trying to find something/cover up a truth because of something that happens in the 9th episode.