Moderator: whitemilesdavis

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2018, 11:42 pm #1701

I vaguely remember that, but I do remember they were running a recurring angle with people who were, basically, "Ric Flair Loyalists". I think it's how they brought Charles Robinson and Roddy Piper into things. Schiavone would definitely qualify, going back to JCP with Flair.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

April 20th, 2018, 6:16 am #1702

HeenanandMonsoon wrote:
torturedsoulv1 wrote:
HeenanandMonsoon wrote:I'm going through Thunder from 99 on the Network and....DAMN I forgot how bad these shows are.

Mike Enos in the main event...really??!!
Who was the opponent?

Glacier lol
No but they had Glacier in segments trying to sell his gear to Ernest Miller and Sonny Onoo. Hearing Schiavone on commentary burying the gimmick was nice though.
I actually remember that
Kaz hayashi wound up buying the gear

And onoo told hayashi it cost more than glacier wanted as he was the translator

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

May 1st, 2018, 3:20 am #1703

Man WCW loved 2/3 falls matches in 92 didn't they? Every week on Saturday Night the main event was usually 2/3 falls.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 2nd, 2018, 12:38 am #1704

In the last two weeks, WWE cracked down on a bunch of YouTube channels I subscribe to for "vintage" WWE content. If I ever intend to watch any videos, I download and burn them to discs just incase of situations like this. The only disappointment from the latest round of terminations was not downloading the early episodes of Action Zone that were uploaded. Oh well, my 1994 collections are about 99% set, so no big loss.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 1:53 am #1705

As I watch the build for WrestleMania IX for the Flashbacks, I have to admit... it's not bad. Some of the matches on paper aren't pretty, but hear me out...

1. Bret is the fighting Champion. A storyline they pushed since Day 1. He finds ways to defeat opponents of all sizes. Now he has to face an undefeated monster that physically looks like someone Bret can't beat. Along the way, Yokozuna DESTROYS Jim Duggan. At the contract signing, he lays Bret out, but Bret is the first man to take the Banzai Drop and try to get back to his feet.

2. Hulk Hogan returns to avenge his best friend getting his face smashed by dastardly heels. As far as finding a way to work him back into storylines is concerned, it did the job and created more interest for the show.

3. Lex Luger vs. Mr. Perfect is one of those matches that seems misguided in build, but also has the allure of the undefeated Luger against a guy who hasn't lost a match (on TV) since returning. Perfect has been featured a lot on TV and won every match, and is easily slated in the top 3 of babyfaces (until Hogan's return) along with Bret and Undertaker.

4. Tatanka pins Shawn Michaels not once, but twice, in Non-Title scenarios. Is three times a charm? Doesn't hurt Tatanka is UNDEFEATED.

5. The Crush/Doink injury angle was one of the more memorable spots in the first half of 1993, and Doink is legitimately one of the more interesting characters on WWF TV. He's also UNDEFEATED. Crush? He hasn't lost a match on TV, either.

6. For an undercard match, The Steiner Brothers vs. Head Shrinkers is another between unbeatens. Yes, we're in the era ofnot seeing guys every week, but the Headshrinkers have been well protected, and the only blemish on them is Fatu losing a singles match against the WWF Champion in what was a highly contested effort.

7. I have no defense for Taker vs. Gonzales, but Gonzales is UNDEFEATED! It's amazing how few jobs were done on TV back then.

If only the show featured stronger finishes other than "heel goes over through dastardly means" or "DQ/CO", it could've been a great show, but creative fucked it up trying too hard to protect everyone. When you have a 14+-match cards like 4-7, you can do a couple. When you do EIGHT matches, it's harder to swallow, especially in key matches.

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 6:40 pm #1706

I'm really surprised they never gave Tatanka a IC run considering they were pushing his undefeated streak hard prior to that Mania.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 6:49 pm #1707

Considering the effort to protect EVERYONE, I'm amazed Shawn did two clean jobs to Tatanka to build up WM 9. He's seriously one of the few guys with a blemish. Hell, BOB BACKLUND hasn't lost a TV match yet, and he's facing the guy who recently challenged for the WWF Title on PPV!

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 6:58 pm #1708

Yeah what a waste of Razor in a throwaway match with a past his prime Backlund. They were better off having Owen Hart face Razor. Why didn't he get his revenge from that episode of Mania??!!!

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 7:02 pm #1709

Owen hurt his knee at the taping before Mania, but the match with Bobby was already announced. Probably kept him off the lineup since he was being phased into a solo role right before the PPV.

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

May 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm #1710

When was Koko released? I know they fought for the tag belts in February on Challenge I believe and right after they just quietly dropped the team. Which in the long run was for the better for Owen but it was odd they gave em' a random tag shot after the team was doing nothing for months.