Moderator: whitemilesdavis

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

2:52 AM - May 07, 2016 #1111

The last episode before Fire on the Mountain is mostly recaps and a 4-corners Tag Team Elimination. Maybe I'll sit back and recap the show (FotM), since I've just binged through 6 months of TV in 3 1/2 days.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

2:57 AM - May 07, 2016 #1112

I really enjoyed that tag team elimination match from what I remember.

Things really take off after Fire on the Mountain. Morton is finally a talker that makes the faces compelling.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

3:54 PM - May 07, 2016 #1113

Fire on the Mountain was a solid card from start to finish. Horner/Landel with some good psychology in their I Quit Match. Orndorff vs. Garvin was a decent brawl although I could've done without a cheap finish to a match that doesn't require pins or submissions. RnR Express vs. Golden/Fuller was your typical "Morton gets the crap beat out of him, Gibson gets the hot tag" RnR match. I was surprised how much offense Lee got on the White Boy before a mystery man ran in and cost him the match, giving the White Boy the Heavyweight Title, and then a great brawl inside the barbed wire cage, and the Fantastics walk away the new Tag Team Champions.

With a heel Heavyweight Champion, that should make for an interesting chase, and I can see the Fantastics dropping the titles right back to the Heavenly Bodies sooner than later.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

11:07 PM - May 07, 2016 #1114

With Brian Lee pre-occupied by the mysterious attacker and a bounty put on his head, Tim Horner has shoe-horned into being the main foil for Dirty White Boy, who promises to be a fighting Champion, and randomly draws a deserving challengers name from a hat... "Nitro" Danny Davis. And he still cheats to win. Somehow I don't think everything is on the level. If that wasn't enough proof, the second challenger is NEWTON STEFFEY. Top contender anywhere in the Smoky Mountain region! Bob Caudle's investigation reveals the name drawn was actually Tim Horner.

Cornette has officially built an alliance with Killer Kyle, who has been working an undercard program with Dixie Dy-no-mite.

Cornette has asked his dear sweet mother for $10,000 to goad the Fantastics into defending the titles ASAP, and ups the number to $20,000. Armstrong will only accept cash because Cornette isn't trustworthy enough to clear a check, and also bars the tennis racket from ringside. Ref bump late in the match, and Cornette smothers Bobby Fulton with a rag soaked in (insert chemical here), and the Heavenly Bodies regain the belts. Considering it was No DQ, I guess you can't call it the cheapest win ever. Cornette celebrating practically swimming in a pool of $20 bills is classic.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

5:04 PM - May 08, 2016 #1115

I always love when a heel is beating the crap out of someone, and the first people to come in to help are the bottom-feeder scrubs. It's as if guys like Horner or whoever else that is higher on the card is like "I'll help him, but only if I'm the last resort." That's what happens when this weird looking dude attacks Lee despite the beefed up security. The first few people to come help are jobbers, and then finally the established names come out.

Speaking of Tim Horner, the Dirty White Boy gives him a pretty good beating, cuffing his hands behind his back and stringing him up from the ropes. That's what you get for harassing a poor, defenseless, crippled old man.

Lee's attacker is finally identified as the Mongolian Mauler (no idea who the hell that is), but there's a second attacker that has shown up, and it looks like Bryan Clarke, a.k.a Adam Bomb a.k.a The Night Stalker, and now a THIRD, a heavy-set Samoan looking chap who I also have never seen before. He managed to get lost in the ropes trying to roll out of the ring, then caught in the ring skirt, so I'm assuming he sucks.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

10:34 PM - May 08, 2016 #1116

Yeah, gotta love the job squad trying to make the save.

Infinite Devil Machine
dWb Superstar

10:51 PM - May 08, 2016 #1117

Scrooge McSuck,May 8 2016 wrote: I always love when a heel is beating the crap out of someone, and the first people to come in to help are the bottom-feeder scrubs. It's as if guys like Horner or whoever else that is higher on the card is like "I'll help him, but only if I'm the last resort." That's what happens when this weird looking dude attacks Lee despite the beefed up security. The first few people to come help are jobbers, and then finally the established names come out.

Speaking of Tim Horner, the Dirty White Boy gives him a pretty good beating, cuffing his hands behind his back and stringing him up from the ropes. That's what you get for harassing a poor, defenseless, crippled old man.

Lee's attacker is finally identified as the Mongolian Mauler (no idea who the hell that is), but there's a second attacker that has shown up, and it looks like Bryan Clarke, a.k.a Adam Bomb a.k.a The Night Stalker, and now a THIRD, a heavy-set Samoan looking chap who I also have never seen before. He managed to get lost in the ropes trying to roll out of the ring, then caught in the ring skirt, so I'm assuming he sucks.
If that's the same Mongolian Mauler as the original, then he's a bit of a mid-card/bottom feeder monster who worked as a territory journeyman. He was in World Class for a bit, worked Memphis and some Southern territories and even had a couple very brief stints doing jobs in WCW and the WWF.

That dude who looked like Adam Bomb was indeed Bryan Clarke.

Sounds like the fat Samoan dude did, indeed, completely suck. No idea who he is, though.

I'm interested now, apparently at some point Corny brought Undertaker into SMW to wrestle Unabomb (obviously, the future Kane) when does that happen? Also, slight spoilers, apparently Unabomb and Al Snow of all people get a tag-team title run at some point that's surprisingly solid. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that, knowing how big a Kane mark you are.
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

11:02 PM - May 08, 2016 #1118

The Taker stuff is Spring/Summer '95. I distinctly remember that from PWI and other Apter mags from the time. They work on the "Superbowl of Wrestling", also featuring a really good Michaels/Landel match that was part of a big face turn for Landel.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

1:18 AM - May 09, 2016 #1119

Feels like the Fultons have been off TV for a while (5-6 weeks of TV is a lot when you have 3-4 angles to push). The Heavenly Bodies suddenly started working a program with the RnR Express, which means they kind of dropped the Express' angle with the Stud Stable, at least when it came to TV. They continued to hype stretcher matches for house shows. Now that the Fultons are back, it seems like they're being paired with Fuller and Golden.

After a successful (and underhanded) title defense, the Bodies are refusing a rematch to the Express, and even have a court injunction in place to keep it from happening... that is until they show off a picture of Cornette's "mom" (an ugly dog in a dress and wig), which sets the trigger off for Cornette to sign the title match, despite the protesting of Lane and Prichard.

Garvin stole Orndorff's robe and trimmed it down to look more like a short dress, so Orndorff gave Danny Davis a piledriver to send him a message. Orndorff's suggesting SMW isn't big enough for the both of them has me expecting some kind of loser leaves town blowoff, especially since all their matches seem to be inconclusive/bullshit.

Horner and White Boy continue to simmer as we anticipate a title defense, and we're really close to finding out who the "Master" is. Reading old issues of the WON have spoiled it for me, but it seems like it makes sense, all things considered. I wouldn't have guessed it since I didn't follow what the WCW roster/booking team was like at the time.

Tracy Smothers is being introduced and "shoots" on WCW and his run there for the last 2+ years.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

1:36 AM - May 09, 2016 #1120

Something I've noticed but never bothered to comment on... even though SMW has it's defined line of "pushed" talent and jobbers, even the jobbers will get a little bit of offense in a match against the established names. If they ever do a fluke finish, I actually would be expecting it to happen since they've clearly established that these guys aren't at the same caliber as a Dirty White Boy or a Killer Kyle, but still are trained wrestlers and are capable of an upset.