Yes, there is other stuff on TV besides wrestling...

Moderator: Scrooge McSuck

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2013, 3:12 pm #11

...and the guy turns out to be someone completely new called "Scorch". Despite that deliberately silly name, this episode took over as "Best. Episode. So Far".

I guess they really are running with calling their mystery group "Centipede". Just sounded ...weird... when they said it aloud. A few more hints about this group, as "The Girl in the Flowered Dress" seems to be their new key agent. They also have prison ties with an extra from Sons of Anarchy and someone named "The Clairvoyant". I'd hope that "The Clairvoyant" would be an updated Mentallo.

"Centipede" also uses the late 90's Intel Engineers to abduct people. This is either a really lame version of the famous AIM bee-keeper outfits, or else the costume department had a deadline. They mentioned Extremis, again, so AIM seems more and more like a possibility. I'm kinda' hoping it turns out to be HAMMER... and you know a season finale cameo by Willem DaFoe would send a giant jizz bubble across the fanboy world. With the way they acted and how they messed with Scorch's blood, reminded me of HAMMER stealing Wolverine's blood a few years ago in "Avengers".

Positive improvement in this episode was Agent May leading the charge. Forget Ward, she's the front-line tushy-kicker the show needs.

Oh, and Skye also has an SD card slot in her left boob, where she keeps a memory card filled with PDFs of information about her parents. Another orphan in Marvel's world? No way.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2013, 8:41 pm #12

In regards to "Scorch" are they not allowed to use Sunfire, Pyro, or other X-Men characters due to Fox owning the film rights?

Agreed with the lack of chemistry between Skye and Ward. Come to think of it, Ward is a useless character in general, sort of your paint-by-numbers white male for primetime. He reminds me of Riley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and he's kind of the poster boy for generic male character that fans reject.

I still like this show enough to watch it every week and think it has potential.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2013, 9:04 pm #13

SamoaRowe,Oct 31 2013 wrote: In regards to "Scorch" are they not allowed to use Sunfire, Pyro, or other X-Men characters due to Fox owning the film rights?
That'd be my first guess, as well. I don't know how extensive those rights are, since Sunfire hasn't been seen or mentioned in any X-Men film, to date (heck, was he even in any of the X-men cartoons?) I wonder if the negotiations and rights are that extensive that even fringe characters like Unus or Stevie Hunter are considered "X-men property" and have been licensed to Fox. There's been a buncha' fanboy fighting about whose camp Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch fall into.

We never saw the body, so the door is still open for "Scorch" to come back. Since they made it a point to talk about his cheesy name, you there's a small chance he could come back as "Sunfire". I could see him returning and looking like the Age of Apocalypse Sunfire. Plus, Sunfire's currently an "Uncanny" Avenger, so there's that connection.

I'd caution holding out hope for Sunfire, though, since this guy was Chinese not Japanese. Then remember that the name "Sunfire" tied into that heritage; "Land of the Rising Sun" and all.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

October 31st, 2013, 10:15 pm #14

I heard something about Quicksilver appearing in both Avengers: Age of Ultron and X-Men: Days of Future Past, but will be portrayed by different actors and will not have any connection besides being based on the same character. Scarlet Witch is also rumored for the next Avengers. I would guess there is a loophole with them because they have both logged in plenty of time as Avengers and were eligible (even though Skrulls couldn't be used in the first Avengers film because they're considered Fantastic Four villains, which is also still owned by Fox).

I feel like Sunfire was an extra in the old 90's X-Men cartoon, whenever there was a random group of mutants who needed rescuing (like in the slave island episode).

I would love this Scorch character to end up being Sunfire. I forget, did they give Scorch a real name or was he just referred to as the target/victim/hostage/whatever?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 1st, 2013, 2:12 pm #15

SamoaRowe,Oct 31 2013 wrote: I would love this Scorch character to end up being Sunfire. I forget, did they give Scorch a real name or was he just referred to as the target/victim/hostage/whatever?
His official name was "Chan Ho Yin" and not "Shiro Yoshida" (Sunfire). Again, Scorch was Chinese not Japanese. Kinda' like thinking the Iron Sheik would be an Iraqi, because he was from Iran

Rowe, that's not directed at you, rather all the speculative talk about this show, ELSEWHERE, that has a boner for him becoming Sunfire. And, oh by the way, Scorch didn't fly.

"Flowered Dress Girl" introduced herself to Yin as "Rayna", but that could be an alias.

You're probably right about Sunfire in the animated (melodramatic) mid-90's FOX cartoon. Like when they all went to Genosha or whatever. This has nothing to do with his licensing rights, but I think his only notable TV appearance was in 1981 with "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends", when he and Firestar had a thing for one episode.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 21st, 2013, 5:43 am #16

I think I've given up on this show and have bailed. Tried, twice, to watch the sixth episode, "F.Z.Z.T" about an alien electro-virus.

The cast just drives me crazy. Coulson's good in small doses in the movies, but I don't think he's very convincing (or heroic) as the field op in the suit n' tie. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an old episode of "Get Smart" and expect him to whip out a device from his shoe.

Every team needs a tech-nerd helping them, nowadays. But 50% of this team is tech-nerds.

Feeling a little hoodwinked about the show, overall. I envisioned more a black ops show, not this crappy "Clue Club meets Criminal Minds" vibe the show has. I can't get away from the fact that if "Marvel" wasn't on the title, I wouldn't be watching this.

I'm sure there will be little background connections from this show in future Marvel movies. But I can do without knowing every little detail.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

November 23rd, 2013, 12:39 am #17

This week's episode was the clunkiest yet.

Coulson just knows the professor is an Asgardian because, get this, he's calm, arrogant, and has nice things. He's willing to have Ward stab the guy in the chest to confirm his hunch.

Oh, and Ward and May are knocking boots now, because, why the hell not? That's the most character development they've tossed at May since the second episode, and Ward has lost any likability he might have had at the beginning.

On the flip side, Fitz-Simmons have grown on me, and I like Skye. But yeah, this show is in big trouble. It seems like no one is really enjoying it and any discussion online seems to be arguments on how to fix it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 7th, 2014, 5:38 pm #18

Finally saw "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and was curious how it would affect "Agents of SHIELD". So I gave the show a fair shake and watched the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season.

Sadly, not even a sizable guest spot from Samuel L M F Jackson could save the show. In the Marvel movies, SHIELD seems like a powerful and deceptive agency. In this show, they seem more like the school from "Facts of Life". Everything's about Skye-- she's so smart n' sassy, can hack into anything and everybody loves her! Her unknown parents are also set-up to a big plot point for a second season.

Oh, they also added a crappy version of Deathlok to the "Marvel Movie/TV U". One who looks like the fourth member of The Shield, right down to the chest protector. He even used Rollins' Curb Stomp to finish off the big bad guy.

The big bad guy? It was Bill Paxson doing a very melodramatic crazy rogue agent. His motivation was eventually downplayed as him simply misunderstanding one of Nick Fury's recruitment speeches.

To the surprise of nobody, SHIELD actually gets re-formed at the end of Season One, so they can still pop-up in future Marvel movies. Coulson's the director, now, and Fury's kinda' watching from afar. They probably just won't be as public as they were, before. I mean, poop, how many times has SHIELD dis-banded and re-started in the comics?

My main problems with this show are still the cast. I just don't care for them. They added a new guy to the team: Antoine Triplett; but you wouldn't know it. My opinion is still the same as it was before: if "Marvel" wasn't attached to this, there's no way I would've watched it. I've seen better action and drama on those cheesy Sci-Fi Channel original shows from the late 90's.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

August 7th, 2014, 7:52 pm #19

I saw Captain America: Winter Soldier, at long last, yesterday. It lead to me finishing the final 7-8 episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I enjoyed the entire story arc coming out of Winter Soldier. I pretty much cheered at Ward's heel turn, but did become worried when they were still expecting us to feel some level of sympathy later on. I don't know if this twist with Ward was always the plan or if it was them salvaging an otherwise bland, unlikable character, but it worked. I think the season ended on a strong enough note that I'll pick it back up in the fall.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 15th, 2014, 11:28 pm #20

Marvel put out some promo stills for the new season:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23266/shield_ ... om_shadows

Slide #5 makes me smile.

I think I'll let everybody else watch this show "live". If the buzz is positive, I'll catch up via Hulu. One day...after I've finished watching "Hill Street Blues", "Gatchaman", all the MST3K eps on Netflix, the 1995 RAWs, etc.