Moderator: Mad Dog

2018 MLB Thread

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 2nd, 2018, 4:06 pm #1

Huh. Who'd thunk it? Pirates 3-0 and Gregory Polanco's actually hitting.

The first fun "controversy" of the season happened between the Twins and Orioles. Twins were up in the 9th, 7-0 on a one-hit shutout. Orioles catcher Change Cisco stepped to the plate and the Twins had The Shift on. So Cisco BUNTS for a hit and a gets on base. Twins shit their pants and the bases are eventually loaded.

Twins complained, afterwards, about Cisco's bunt (but not the second hit that followed), implying it broke the "unofficial rules". As if batters are supposed to roll over and die because they're behind by 7 runs. Which tells me the Twins never watched that shit-tastic Pirates' Tony Watson game from 2016 when he gave up a Buncha' Runs all by himself in the 9th, allowing the Cardinals to win.

Besides, the Twins were up 7-0...and had THE SHIFT on. Its also not like a one-hit 7-0 shutout is a "masterpiece" or "one for the ages". Even if the Twins had a no-hitter and had The Shift on, I'd still be okay with the Orioles bunting for a hit. So I'll go with the Orioles on this one.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

April 2nd, 2018, 10:00 pm #2

Crybabies.

Rays are 1-3, and Longo is 0 for the century so far in SF. Not a good start.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

April 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm #3

I'm digging keeping mound visits at a reasonable level. No, not coach visits, I mean pitcher/catcher visits. I remember quite a few times last year where it seemed like a catcher would trot to the mound multiple times per inning.

If your catcher is this unprepared to know what his starter throws, and when to throw it, maybe you should sign better catchers who know how to call a game. Asking every other pitch what he wants to throw looks bush league.

SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar
SamoaRowe
dWb Superstar

April 4th, 2018, 11:48 pm #4

I'm putting a little more effort into trying to follow the Red Sox this year. Not sure I'll ever have the patience or interest for full games (unless I'm at Fenway) but I feel invested enough to keep track of scores and watch some innings here and there.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 16th, 2018, 3:04 pm #5

Went to the Mets/Brewers game, Friday night at Citi Field. Was a decent game (6-5 Mets), right down to the last batter. Got a free t=shirt that says "deGROM", stylized in two lines like "RUN DMC". Had this been the me of 10 years ago, I would've been excited. As it is, now, my thought was: "meh. Probably a new gym shirt I'll wear 4 or 5 times, then toss it".

I had been to Citi Field, before, as well as Shea. I had gotten a cab or taken the MTA subway, previously. So this was the first time I actually drove to the park. What a frickin' mess. I've been to countless live events and there's always a cop or attendant to direct traffic out of the lot. They'll manually operate the red light, or use batons to wave people out. Even at something as small as a ballet performance. Nothing at Citi Field. So you have 35,000 drunk morons trying to cut each other off and get into a pissing contest.

I shit you not: from the time I opened my car door, to the time I got out of the parking lot was just over an hour. Then add in another 15-20 minutes of traffic until I got to the highway. Bad idea. Never drive in New York.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

May 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm #6

Matt Harvey has been DFAd by the Mets

Always thought he was overrated. But even when I was saying this 5 years ago, didn't see this coming

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm #7

What a bum he turned into. Not only was he not performing on the field, but he was a clubhouse distraction with his attitude and antics off the field.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 7th, 2018, 4:56 am #8

Diamondbacks brought back the bullpen cart. The visiting Astros were the first to use it.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 7th, 2018, 3:07 pm #9

Oh and Tim Tebow hit a home run for the (AA) Binghampton Rumble Ponies

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm #10

The Pirates didn't make my "Cut-off Day", which was yesterday, June 11. They had been doing well in April and May, but I noticed a tough stretch of their schedule against the Cubs (twice), Cardinals (twice) and Dodgers mixed in.

My standards: if they were above .500 or within 3 games of first after that, I'd get excited and buy in on the season. Literally. They just missed it by one game, so I'm free for the year. They're very similar to where they were in 2003-2005. Corey Dickerson playing the role of Reggie Sanders, Jameson Taillon playing the role of Oliver Perez, Josh Harrison playing the role of Freddy Sanchez, and Austin Meadows playing the role of Brian Giles/Jason Bay.