dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

June 12th, 2018, 6:05 pm #11

AL has the top 4 teams in MLB
All at least 4 games better than any team in the NL

Red Sox, Yankees, Astros and mariners

Mariners im stunned by

NL is like the east in the NBA this year.

Yankees all the way to WS championship

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm #12

Yankess will (most likely) be in the playoff mix, this year. Luis Severino is having a great year and could probably start the All-Star game. Aside from him, there's nobody else who's an eye-opener in their starting rotation. I'm a CC fan, but there's no way he'll be a dominant SP in 2018.

The Astros have come out like a defending champ should, this year. Right now, if I had to pick, I think the AL pennant will be won by either the Astros or the AL East winner.

NL doesn't have a clear favorite right now. Maybe the Cubs? I think back to 2015 when the Mets were a .500 team and treading water until they cranked it up in August and rode that momentum to the World Series.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

June 13th, 2018, 5:51 am #13

Yankees have the best power hitting and best bullpen in MLB

Yes they're starting pitching is sub par even with Severino

Guarantee they will trade for someone by the trade deadline. Whether it's a true ace like baumgarner or Degrom. Or a #2 starter like Hamels or Fullmer or Archer time will tell.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

June 20th, 2018, 2:53 am #14

No one is stopping the Yankees

Only injuries can stop them at this point

Too deep. Too talented.

Elite bullpen. Elite power hitting.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 20th, 2018, 2:51 pm #15

With the Mets in town, did some autograph trolling, last night. Got autographs from Steven Matz (card), Brandon Nimmo (card) and Keith Hernandez (sweet spot ball). Broadcasters are probably the easiest autographs to get, I've found. Typically each team has at least one guy from the 80's/90's.

Jeurys Familia was a complete prick, though. He was fairly arrogant, literally kept his nose up in the air, and wouldn't even acknowledge the 2 kids that were hounding him.

When the Reds were in town, I got cards signed by Eugenio Suarez, Scooter Gennett and Jeff Brantley (broadcaster; signed an old Giants card).

Oh...and (maybe) more significant: due to a delayed start, there was no National Anthem at last night's game. No riots. No controversy. Nobody cared. They introduced the umpires, starting lineups, announced "play ball", then I realized: "hey... what happened to the anthem?"

It's entirely possible that they did all the usual pre-game pomp BEFORE the original scheduled time... when nobody was in the stadium. But that would defeat the whole purpose of it being performed.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 20th, 2018, 6:06 pm #16

Finished Jim Bouton's 2004 book "Foul Ball". In short: it's nowhere near as entertaining as "Ball Four"-- which is probably the most honest, "scandalous" and humorous baseball book around.

"Foul Ball" is about Bouton's 2001 quest to save the historic Wachonah Park in Pittsfield, MA. The Astros Single-A team is packing up and leaving, so the city wants to pass legislature to fund a new stadium and attract a new team. Bouton and his buddy Chip Elitzer propose that it'd be better, all around, if they're allowed to privately invest money in Wachonah Park and bring in an independent Atlantic League team. Would save tax payers from having to fund a new stadium and everybody would be happy. That actually sounds cool and almost noble.

So what follows is his day-by-day notes on how the campaign rolls. Countless meetings with various Pittsfield officials and outsider investors cloud the narrative. While it's a journal, I question if Bouton actually remembers EVERY conversation he had with EVERY person, EVERY day, as he details in this book. He must be equipped with an audio recorder in his brain. It quickly becomes clear that Bouton believes his idea is bullet-proof...anybody who disagrees with it is a total scumbag and anybody who sends him a supportive email is A Wonderful Example of Humanity. His sarcasm and "humor" becomes very bitter and more about shaming his opponents than progressing on anything. When he encounters a new character, you can immediately tell; from his either complimentary or unflattering description of the person; if they're on his side, or not.

A big miss by the book is the subplot about a new stadium site and EPA contamination. It seems like this would be a whistle-blower type of conspiracy that is unraveled... but Bouton mostly ignores it and waxes on about how winning a public opinion on his plan for Wachonah Park. In the end, when it becomes clear that a buncha' rich white guys and their conglomerates will win, Bouton begins to depict himself and Chip as martyrs.

There are a few fun passages. My favorite is a new "Yogi-ism". Somebody was watching a John Wayne movie and Yogi Berra walked in the room.

Yogi: "What's that?"
Other Guy: "Stagecoach with John Wayne".
Yogi: "Oh. He made that movie before he died"
(Yogi leaves room)

"Ball Four" was funny. "Foul Ball" reminds you that you'd rather be reading "Ball Four". It ends with a promise that this is an ongoing crusade and we should check out Fouball.com for the "latest updates". Apparently didn't last too long, as that domain currently appears to be a "link farm". It's also passed through 16 different registrars in the past 10 years or so. Bouton's own personal self-promoting site (jimbouton.com) goes offline frequently and might be blocked by your ISP.

Bouton published a "Part 2" appendix, which detailed his July 4th 2004 exhibition game at Wachonah and how he was squeezed out, again. After that, records are spotty, but it appears Orioles GM Dan Duquette got involved with bringing in a Collegiate League team. Eventually the awesomely-named "Pittsfield American Defenders" came in for a bit.

In the end, it appears that Wachonah was given the care it needed and nobody had to pay for a new pricey stadium. In that regard, Bouton was successful. Yet I'm sure he'd rather tell you how everything that happened was stolen from his great ideas for Wachonah.

Basically, I lost a lot of respect and admiration for Bouton with this book.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

June 20th, 2018, 9:58 pm #17

Jeurys Familia he of the beating his (I forget if it was his wife or girlfriend) ilk, shouldnt be a prick to anyone

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 18th, 2018, 2:55 pm #18

AL wins the All-Star Game, 8-6 in a game that featured 10 home runs (9 of them solo shots). Nice change from the usual 3-1 stuff that seems to be the norm for these things.

I haven't watched a FOX game all year, but I'm assuming they don't have a contract with the dorks who run "StatCast". Unless I missed something, there was NO talk of "exit velocity", "swing angle" and other worthless bullshit. People like home runs... and that's what the game had.

No real surprise, but Charlie Blackmon had one of the more entertaining "mic'd up" segments they've ever had. Usually it's junk like the "just swing hard, try to make contact" stuff they babble about. But Blackmon was relaxed, talked in complete sentences, and came off like a cool guy. Had some humor, but not so much that he was pressing.

I 100% called the "story" they were going to tell about Felipe Vazquez-- "he changed his name from Rivero, due to a close connection to his sister" and "they had a 5-game sweep of the Brewers before the Break".

A new "tradition" also seems to be the annual fondling and licking of Mike Trout's balls. They had some...strange... pre-game comments about him, though. Frank Thomas and Alex Rodriguez alluded to the fact that the Angels are going nowhere and Trout is being wasted.

I think there was a similar conversation about Nolan Arenado (whom Joe Buck consistently called "AIR-en-ah-do" and not "ARR-en-ah-do". Whatever. I call him: "Arena do". Harry Caray would be proud.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

July 25th, 2018, 1:34 am #19

Yankees get closer Zack Britton from the orioles for three prospects
Dillon Tate a starter who was their #9 prospect. Cody Carroll - #15 prospect
and Josh Rogers who isn't in their top 30

Britton obviously won't be the Yankees closer. It's not a bad deal. But they need another starter much more than need another setup reliever

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 31st, 2018, 10:07 pm #20

From the "Crap Nobody Expected" File: the PIRATES pick up Chris Archer. Really didn't expect that. Archer's not the guy he was 3 years ago, but he could excel with (Pirates pitching coach) Ray Searage in his ear.

Rays get Austin Meadows (Pirates top prospect), Tyler Glasnow (good luck with that) and a PTBNL. Pirates GM Neil Huntington says the third part is still being decided, but that it will be a "player of significance". 

A little sorry to see Meadows go, but with Corey Dickerson around and some prospects hitting well, the outfield is a little crowded for the next 2-3 years. Archer in 2018 could help the Pirates more than Meadows in 2018--- and I think that's the key point for them.