Moderator: Mad Dog

2017 MLB Thread

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

April 19th, 2017, 10:02 pm #1

Out of Context Baseball Quote of the Day: "He has groin concern".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 17th, 2017, 8:56 pm #2

It's not even Memorial Day and the Pirates are already playing out the string. A throwback to the days of 2001-2009. Very sad that the wheels seem to have fallen off of Andrew McCutchen and that he'll most likely be dealt for a PTBNL in July.

Been telling myself: "that's the problem with players: they age". Yet I've always considered Adam Jones the AL counterpart of McCutchen...and Jones is still doing well and is a year older, too.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

May 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm #3

It always felt like the Pirates did a really poor job of putting a supporting cast around McCutchen. They might have survived him crashing and burning for the start of a season had they done that. I don't think he's done by any stretch.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

May 17th, 2017, 10:45 pm #4

Rays are 20-21, but I'm anticipating the Kevin Cash gets fired news. Team has floundered with him for 2+ years and this season isn't promising much. We should be 12-29 the way the bullpen and rotation have underperformed.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 17th, 2017, 11:13 pm #5

Mad Dog,May 17 2017 wrote: It always felt like the Pirates did a really poor job of putting a supporting cast around McCutchen. They might have survived him crashing and burning for the start of a season had they done that. I don't think he's done by any stretch.
I'd disagree, somewhat. McCutchen, Neil Walker, Pedro Alvarez and Jose Tabata all broke in with the Pirates in either 2009 or 2010 and looked to be a solid foundation for years. You're not going to have a solid starting 9, long-term, but they had a good core in place.

Tabata flamed out, first, and was basically gone by the end of 2011. Alvarez lasted until 2014 until he crashed. Walker was solid, but the front office was focused on CONTRACTS and dealt him to the Mets, last year, for... John Niese.

Add in Starling Marte (2012) and Gregory Polanco (2014) and you've got a pretty good supporting cast. Josh Harrison is no slouch, either.

They also had some decent free agent signing and acquisitions, in there-- like Russell Wilson, Francisco Liriano, Edinson Volquez (one year) and of course AJ Burnett (originally traded to them from the Yankees in 2012, but re-signed as a free agent for 2015, after one terrible year with the Phillies).

I think the Walker trade was awful and affected McCutchen. They usually batted close together in the lineup and offered "protection" for the other. Sprinkle in Pedro Alvarez's dangerous power and you've got trouble. I feel that's why McCutchen "struggled" in 2016. Now, in 2017, you add in Marte's suspension, Polanco's....whatever the hell he's doing, no Jung Ho Kang (I think they were counting on him, too much), and the only guys you have to worry about are David Freese and Josh Harrison. Both solid players, but not all-star/franchise type of guys. Josh Bell has shown flashes--and in two or three years I feel he'll be an All-Star 1B--- but right now he's still learning.

So they've had the cast, just not a consistent long-term cast.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 18th, 2017, 4:03 pm #6

And just a few hours after I typed about his demise, he has a typical "Cutch Game", going 2-for-4, 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored and 2 SBs.

Of course, now that I've identified this reverse superstition (talk bad about him, he does well), he'll probably have a terrible game, today (talk well about him, he goes 0-for-4).

He's still "my boy" and it makes me sad when he's in a funk. Even the Old Lady knows to ask me: "how'd McCutchen do?"

Oh, and Josh Bell hit a 3-run HR, last night, too.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

May 24th, 2017, 9:53 pm #7

FWIW, Eric Gagne ended his comeback attempt, yesterday. He appeared for Canada in the World Baseball Classic, and got scouts talking. He signed a contract with the independent Atlantic League Long Island Ducks and posted a 12+ ERA across 5 or 6 games.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 14th, 2017, 2:15 pm #8

Out of Context Baseball Quote of the Day: "even his balls are looking a little flat".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 22nd, 2017, 9:13 pm #9

It's summer, it's gently raining and I'm sitting in the office listening to HARRY DOYLE call a Pirates/Brewers game. Life is good.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

June 29th, 2017, 11:25 pm #10

FYI, MLB.tv is $10 for the rest of the year until like the end of the day.