Moderator: Mad Dog

2017-2018 MLB Offseason Thread

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 28th, 2017, 11:58 pm #1

Or: "The Giancarlo Stanton Trade Speculation" thread...

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

November 29th, 2017, 1:09 am #2

Dodgers payroll bumped to 345 mil. Still lose World Series.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

December 10th, 2017, 1:05 pm #3

Stanton goes to the Yankees.

I feel bad for the last few Miami fans out there. Ownership is just a shit show.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 10th, 2017, 1:24 pm #4

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The fire sale doesn't come as a surprise. On top of the cost of buying the team from Loria, you inherit a team losing more money than any other ball club, so cutting the payroll makes the most sense.

Firing personnel diagnosed with cancer in such untimely manners is the only thing that stands out as a truly terrible act.

No need to overpay for play-by-play guys on a team that draws one of the lowest ratings in baseball.

No need to overpay glorified spokespeople because they're former Marlins (seriously, Andre Dawson was a Marlin for maybe 1 season).

If the bottom line is to stop the bleeding, these moves make sense, no matter how much it sucks watching a team stripped down, again.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm #5

Evan Longoria (and cash) to the Giants. Rays get Denard Span and 3 of the Giants' top prospects.

Surprising move (to me, at least), since I kinda' felt Longoria was "Mr. Ray" and would be around forever. As it is, his 10 years with the team were solid.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

December 21st, 2017, 8:43 pm #6

around forever rarely exists in sports anymore

whether baseball or football, etc

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

December 21st, 2017, 9:38 pm #7

I think Ken Griffey, Jr going from the Mariners to Reds in 2000 was kind of the "wow, nothing/nobody lasts forever" wake-up call. There are a few rare cases (Tim Duncan comes to mind), but you're right, nobody sticks with their team for a full career.

I didn't realize that Longoria has "already" logged 10 full seasons. I'm hoping Scrooge checks in with his take on the whole thing.

As a result, my McCutchen Paranoia has shot up. I'm checking the headlines everyday to see if he's moved. I know he'll most likely be gone, this time next year, but it'll still suck for me. Like putting a pet down, when you realize: "damn, he's been here longer than I thought. Went by so fast. Guess it is time to move on".

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

December 22nd, 2017, 2:01 am #8

I was at lunch when a friend of mine casually flashed his phone, showing me the article. Longoria being traded bothers me more than any other departure in Rays history. Kazmir in '09 sucked because Kaz was the player I stuck to when I began developing a love for the franchise. Carl Crawford leaving for free agency opened my eyes that no one was going to sign long-term for big money. Longo changed that. He was not only a face of the franchise, but signed extensions that kept him with the team beyond what some might've expected from a small market. He's the last of the 2008 Rays that made an improbable run to the World Series. My first instinct was the childish "I'm done with this team, I'm going to follow the Giants" or an equally mid-level market that I have no prior connection to as a fan. I'll still support the Rays, but this keeps reminding me not to get attached to players too much. Any day can be the day they put on another uniform and leave the quarter-filled Trop in their past because of cheap owners and the inability of finding a new location for a better stadium.

Anyway, as far as the trade goes, yeah, they got some talent, blah blah blah, anyone young will be gone in 5-6 years for the next batch of prospects.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

December 22nd, 2017, 8:28 pm #9

Erick Von Erich,Dec 21 2017 wrote: I think Ken Griffey, Jr going from the Mariners to Reds in 2000 was kind of the "wow, nothing/nobody lasts forever" wake-up call. There are a few rare cases (Tim Duncan comes to mind), but you're right, nobody sticks with their team for a full career.

I didn't realize that Longoria has "already" logged 10 full seasons. I'm hoping Scrooge checks in with his take on the whole thing.

As a result, my McCutchen Paranoia has shot up. I'm checking the headlines everyday to see if he's moved. I know he'll most likely be gone, this time next year, but it'll still suck for me. Like putting a pet down, when you realize: "damn, he's been here longer than I thought. Went by so fast. Guess it is time to move on".
peyton manning to the Broncos also

and before griffey Jr, there was Joe Montana to the Chiefs
granted they had Steve Young to replace him, but still

yeah Duncan is a rare case
Dirk Nowitzki is nearing the end and it seems he will always be a Maverick
until I remembered he was traded on draft night. had to google it, the Bucks drafted him

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 15th, 2018, 9:59 pm #10

Gerrit Cole goes to the Astros for 4 guys: P Joe Musgrove, RP Michael Feliz, 3B Colin Moran and minor-league OF Jason Martin. Not the kings' ransom Bucs fan were hoping for, but it's still a curious trade.

Cole's 2015 was stellar, but he's been decidedly average since. He gave a up a bunch of homers in 2017, leading a lot of people to suggest something was wrong with him. He was the #1 SP on the 2017 Pirates... which unfortunately translates to a #3 on a normal staff.

The whole deal reminds me of the Pirate trades from about 10 years ago. Where they shipped out "All-Stars" in Pittsburgh and netted guys like Andy LaRoche, Jose Tabata or Ross Ohlendorf. The Cole trade doesn't both me, though, as the Bucs are supposed to have a ton of young arms in the minors (as long as they're not named Tyler Glasnow). Cole's 2018 season will be a roll-of-the-dice and I'd rather roll those dice on some young dudes, instead. I'm also guessing that Ivan Nova will now be the 2018 Opening Day starter for the Pirates.