Moderator: Mad Dog

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm #11

..and as soon as I posted that, Andrew McCutchen is reportedly heading to the Giants. Man, that hurts. Even though I knew it was coming. McCutchen was absolutely my favorite player and the best Pirate since Barry Bonds in 1992.

Oh well... at least that means I have about 12 chances to get some of my McCutchen Pirates stuff autographed, this year.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 17th, 2018, 7:42 am #12

Yankees are getting machado and Keyshawn next offseason

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 17th, 2018, 11:17 pm #13

Some of this you may have heard from me, over the years, but just go with me....

McCutchen was definitely "my guy". Was at a Spring Training game in 2007 and he made an amazing catch. I was keeping score and had already marked it a double for the Reds...but was amazed that Cutch raced over to make the catch. As a longtime Pirate sufferer, I'd learned to never get my hopes up on "top draft picks". So I didn't really know who he was, until that night

My lasting image of him is from a locker-room celebration when the Bucs made the post-season in 2013. The team was going bananas, spraying champagne and all. McCutchen was there, getting sprayed with goggles on, and that trademark smile of his. His teammates were chanting "MVP! MVP!" I felt like a proud poppa and about cried-- "my guy" led the Pirates to the frickin' postseason!

I wished my grandfather (and great-grandfather) were still alive, so I could've told them all about this. My dad called me up, that night, and serenaded me with "Oh, the Bucs are going all the way! All the way! All the way!"

My dad and I still debate whether or not Cutch is the #2 all-time Pirate (behind Clemente, of course). I was at a game in Denver when he hit 3 homers, a few years ago. He was one of the main reason I went to Miami to see the WBC, this year. My wife knows to ask me: "how did McCutchen do?" whenever I'm done watching my Bucs games.

I've only met/talked to him, twice, very briefly. Yet I feel a strong connection with McCutchen. He's absolutely my Favorite Player. It's going to be a test for me, this year. "My guy" is now on the Giants, who are just "some team" to me. I want him to do well... but I'll wish to hell that he was still a Bucco.

Of course, if the Bucs actually improve this year...well, that'll numb the wound just a little. But there will always be a scar. Right next to the scar from the 1992 NLCS.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 18th, 2018, 5:54 am #14

Not a pirates fan, but my two cents

Honus Wagner was way before our time. But he has to be 1 or 2. Clemente the other of course

I'd put willie Stargell ahead of mccutchen as well

Ralph kiner too

Bill mazeroski as well

But it's cool you got to meet him

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 18th, 2018, 3:23 pm #15

Clemente is, hands-down, the #1 player in Pirate history. Prototypical "5 tool player".

Honus Wagner was kinda' like Tony Gwynn. Yeah, he could be #2. He's the main statue at PNC Park with good reason.

Stargell has numbers, but he had some flaws. One of top 5 players of the 70's, though. Would still take McCutcheon over him. I feel like McCutchen's Pirate career is what Dave Parker's could've been, had Parker not been injured or sniffing cocaine, circa 1981.

Maz was an outstanding fielder, consistent player and a great 2B for his era. When you compare Mazeroski's career and stats to any other 2B, it's not apples-to-apples. Pirates fans have no problem with his HOF nod, but not everybody is sold on him. Of course, Yankees fans hear his name a lot

McCutchen's Pirate career was longer than Kiner's. Yet Kiner was hitting 50 HR's before it became common. He also played on a lot of dogshit teams, so he wasn't the focal point of a team like Clemente or McCutchen were.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 19th, 2018, 3:21 am #16

Forgot about Dave Parker. He was in their Top 10 to me at least

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 19th, 2018, 7:15 pm #17

Parker's name has resurfaced in the past few years on the "HOF Veterans Committee" ballot thing (which brought us Alan Trammel and Jim Rice). Parker was an All-Star for the Brewers, as late as 1990, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. In that class of guys "just below HOF" or "Hall of Pretty Good" with guys like Pedro Guerrero or George Scott.

Parker DID have the coolest nickname-- "the Cobra".

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 19th, 2018, 10:35 pm #18

Parker was better than Pedro Guerrero and George Scott
But yes I agree he wasn't HOF material

Forgot he was with the brewers. Just remember pirates and reds

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 19th, 2018, 11:30 pm #19

He had a pretty good resurgent year as a DH with the A's in 1989. Hit a home run for them in the "Earthquake Series", too. They had Parker and Don Baylor as the "old slugging vets" in 88 to 89 (think Baylor retired before 89, though). Both Baylor and Parker were definitely guys whose careers were prolonged by the DH.

I don't think Parker has any kind of honor from the Pirates. Like the local thing where they hang/retire numbers, or give them a statue. I'd be okay with that. He was more of the lightning rod for the late 70's Pirates than Stargell was. Stargell even alluded to this in his (bad) autobiography.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

February 15th, 2018, 4:08 pm #20

I officially bailed on MLB.tv and did not renew my subscription for this year. I've been doing it mainly to watch Pirates games, live. The outlook for this year isn't rosy, and I'm still moping about the McCutchen trade. I still want them to do well and will follow them, but don't have the energy or passion to watch them "ringside, LIVE" this year. Rather watch Jeopardy, Netflix or rasslin'.

Of course, if they start off 22-8, then it's back on and I'll re-up with MLB.tv!