Moderator: Mad Dog

2016 NFL Thread

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 12th, 2016, 2:44 pm #1

So, NFL Week I (don't forget the Roman Numerals) is just about in the books.

The Colin Kaepernick Controversy continues. It's very similar to something we've all been through, before, back in 1996 in the NBA with the former "Chris Jackson":

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf: Colin Kaepernick 20 years earlier

I remember I did a speech in my "Public Speaking" college course supporting Mahmoud, back when he was hot and topical. For awhile, I thought I was fighting the good fight by keeping my hat on during national anthems. I'd say "Mahmoud" whenever anybody asked me to take my hat off. After a few months, I realized nobody really gave a shit about any "stance" or "message" and they just wanted a target.

The silly thing about any athlete "protest" is: how long will it last? It's not like a ransom note or sit-in protest, in that when a certain thing occurs, you stop doing it.

Anyways, in Televised Supplemental NFL Fantasy Football Coverage, some games happened. I enjoyed the one game I watched (Broncos/Panthers). I think it's because the Pirates have tanked and I've officially shut down my Baseball October Hopes & Dreams for the first time in 5 years... so I'm okay with going back to my old flame, the Donkeys.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2016, 3:07 pm #2

My dad on the NFL players doing their fist-during-the-anthem thing: "why do they think it's fourth down? Game hasn't started, dumbass". No joking, he was serious.

Meanwhile, Trevor Siemian has made us all forget about "my client" Brock Osweiler. The September 2016 Broncos are better than the September 2015 Broncos. All hail Wade.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2016, 3:33 pm #3

Such a frustrating day yesterday. After clutch performances in the red zone to keep scoring to a minimum against Dallas and New Orleans, the Giants reverted to their 2015 anti-clutch efforts with a combination of injuries, poor coverage, and countless penalties that would've forced a change of possession and/or great placement for the start of a drive. Next week it's at Minnesota and they've been running hot, so excuse me for being a bit worried that the 2-0 start will be for naught with Philadelphia playing above their heads (2 of their 3 wins were against garbage) and Dallas succeeding so far.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

October 19th, 2016, 4:16 am #4

the jets would have been spending the 12 million on charity rather than on Fitz

a tax writeoff is worth more than that goof

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 17th, 2017, 9:50 pm #5

So, some playoffs are on. Televised Supplemental NFL Fantasy Football Coverage is over, but we're down to the Conference Championship (LI). Who ya' got and why?

-Steelers vs. Patriots (at NE)
-Packers vs. Falcons (at ATL)

I'll pick Steelers/Falcons. Falcons don't really have a pedigree and have been solid, all year long. I say they handle the Packers, 28-17, to advance. Think the Packers blew their wad by beating the Cowboys.

For the AFC, I'll go against the odds and pick the Steelers in a tight upset (by 3-6 points or so). Steelers have a weird momentum thing going on, and Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell scare the hell out of people. Even though the Patriots spread the ball around with their boring spread offense, I like the Steelers' DBs over the Patriots' receivers. Would also like to be spared from watching another Patriots game as the Super Bowl.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

January 23rd, 2017, 1:59 am #6

2 terrible conference championship games, and except for maybe two games, a playoff of nothing but one-sided games. I guess two offensive juggernauts meeting in the Super Bowl will be exciting... right?

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

January 23rd, 2017, 2:50 am #7

These playoffs were a shitty send off to a shitty season.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

January 23rd, 2017, 3:52 am #8

The Jets won their only super bowl in January 1969
I was born in December 1969

Fucking losers

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

January 23rd, 2017, 5:27 pm #9

I originally scheduled my business travel on Feb 5, not knowing it was the date of the Super Bowl. Re-scheduled it for Feb. 6 when I found out it was. Kinda' wishing I had kept that original travel date, now.

This is like the 2013 World Series, to me. Don't care who wins. New England's the team everybody loves to hate, but I won't lose any sleep if they win.

I do care what happens, though. I can still do my "pick a number between 1 and 50" schtick and name the winner, match-up and MVP of every game. So I am a little excited about going to our neighbor's party, eating cheese dip and wings, and having people test me on Super Bowl trivia.

torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar
torturedsoulv1
dWb Superstar

February 6th, 2017, 5:49 am #10

Still not sure how the Falcons blew a 28-3 lead

But congrats to the Pats