Moderator: Mad Dog

2016 MLB Thread

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

June 28th, 2016, 8:11 pm #1

Well, golly, this far into the year and we haven't started one?

Saw the Blue Jays, last night, and during BP Josh Donaldson was wearing an official MLB Jays hat in a digital camouflage version. Which got me thinking: do the Blue Jays hold a "Military Appreciation Day" like most MLB teams? That would seem odd to me.

I'm also assuming that Jays' Sunday home games do not have the (annoying) "God Bless America" song. No offense to any troops, I just have a dislike of the actual song.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

July 1st, 2016, 6:22 am #2

Rough season for the Rays, particularly from the pitching, usually a plus for the team for the better part of the last decade. Chris Archer and Drew Smyly, our No. 1 and 2, are producing numbers straight outta the early 2000's era of the Devil Rays, Matt Moore and Jake Odorizzi are inconsistent, and then it's patch-work for the No. 5 spot. The bullpen has been "over use Erasmo Ramirez" and anyone they can find, with lackluster results for most of the options.

As usual, the lineup under-produces, but that has never been the "Rays way" of winning. When your No. 6-9 hitters are typically batting under .200, there's problems. I don't know how the hitting coach has remained for all these years of poor performance, but he must have good blackmail material.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 1st, 2016, 5:13 pm #3

Pirates had a "throwback month" for all of June as they honored their teams from 1993-2010. They went something like 7-22 to essentially end any serious thoughts of contention.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

July 12th, 2016, 3:00 pm #4

Little funny that there was a big push and hype for the NL All-Star "Final Vote" between Brandon Belt and Starling Marte. Belt wins, but ONE day later, Marte also gets on the team due to an injury to Yoenis Cespedes.

People like to say "the All-Star Game is a joke". Sure. Like I always say, it's never the slugfest that fans envisions and it's essentially a "live action baseball card or yearbook" of the season, thus far.

But you know what is a bigger joke? "All-Star Snubs" and whining. 75% of the time, the guy who gets "snubbed"; whether by fan vote or manager decision; ends up on the team anyways.

Oh, and the ridiculous home run derby...now with a DJ BOOTH on the field.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 2nd, 2016, 10:40 pm #5

Haven't been checking this, but I'll actually be impressed if that dickhead "Marlins Man" shows up behind home plate at Wrigley Field, this week, while Ichiro is shooting for his 3,000th hit.

Otherwise, what's the point of wearing your Marlins jersey to random games (that often don't involve the Marlins) if you're not a big fan of the actual team?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

August 10th, 2016, 4:41 pm #6

Ichiro gets his 3,000th...and I'm sure some clown feels it wasn't legit because it happened at Coors Field.

Also, in news that will surely alter human history: A-Rod is set to retire on Friday. I say: "A-Rod", because I told somebody "Alex Rodriguez" was trying retiring and they said: "who's that?"

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 7th, 2016, 3:36 am #7

One of the most demoralizing Pirates losses since October 1992--- they're down 5-0, early, to the Cardinals and work their way back to a 6-5 lead. It remains that way through 2 outs in the 9th and the old cliche: "the Cardinals are down to their last swing" with an 0-2 count.

"Closer" Tony Watson can't get the final strike and proceeds to give up THREE homeruns and 4 runs in the inning. Bucs gets a cosmetic homerun in the bottom of the 9th, but still lose 9-7. Their 8th loss in a row. Yes, they miss Marc Melancon and that was one of the worst trades since Dave Littlefield got Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez.

Games like this not only hurt, but can end up costing somebody a job.

Scrooge McSuck
dWb Superstar

September 7th, 2016, 3:50 am #8

The Rays season lost all hope when they entered the ASG losing something like 21 out of 24 games after teetering back and forth with hot and cold streaks. Just dismissed the hitting coach today, about 3 years later than most teams probably would have. Rays consistently have been below average (or at times league worst) in a lot of offensive categories.

Yankees, despite being in sell mode at the deadline, are surprisingly in the hunt for a Wild Card spot.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 7th, 2016, 3:45 pm #9

The Rays have baffled me the last couple of years. It feels like they should have been better than they were this year.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 29th, 2016, 3:00 pm #10

I saw, yesterday at a public place, that ESPN was providing live helicopter video coverage of Jose Fernandez's HEARSE, driving through Miami. It made it look like the OJ chase from the mid-90's. Truly classless, IMO.

Since it's ESPN I'm surprised they didn't flash some stat on the screen about the hearse's speed, MPG or make/model. I was also expecting a list of where Fernandez ranks on the All-Time List of Premature MLB Deaths. "Well, ya' gotta' put him at #7, probably behind Thurman Munson, but still ahead of Steve Olin".

Maybe MLB Network did that...