Moderator: Mad Dog

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 12th, 2016, 3:17 pm #11

I was dreading a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, because it would've brought every wannabe writer out of the woodwork. So, thank you, Cleveland for saving us.

Been watching the Nationals/Dodgers series, and little else. Somewhat bummed that the Glorious Cubs Collapse didn't happen, last night. There's hope for the NLCS, though. But hey-- they are the Greatest Team in the History of Our Sport, so why should we even bother playing?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 7th, 2016, 3:58 pm #12

So... the world hasn't ended, Hell hasn't frozen over, but the Cubs have won the World Series.

But hey, they win 3 straight and the 7th game in extra innings to win the World Series. You may not like it, but you can't argue with it.

When I first got into baseball (seriously) in 1990, I found it odd that the Cubs and Red Sox hadn't won a championship in forever. Cubs were sort of the home team in my (then) baseball-deprived city, due to WGN. Yet I had an earlier disdain for them, circa 1986. I'd get home early from school and turn on WGN so I could catch "GI Joe" at 3:30 before going to football practice. Yet it was frequently pre-empted for Cubs games.

From 1990 and on, I used Cubs telecasts as my window into the NL (and always checked the weekly "TV Dial" on Sundays to see if the Pirates would be playing them). Seeing that 1st base dugout camera view with the big "TORO" sign in left field will be forever embedded in my brain.

Anyways, moving on. MLB will do their usual pomp and fluff over the award winners.

In an random move, saw that the Rockies named Bud Black their manager. I'll give him two years, tops. That just seems like a "filler" selection. Odd, because I was cleaning out some old 1992 Score baseball cards to package up for Halloween giveaways. I put aside a Bud Black card, because I thought: "I think he's a coach or something, somewhere, right now. Might get his autograph next season".

HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar
HeenanandMonsoon
dWb Superstar

November 7th, 2016, 9:36 pm #13

Now that they won it, I hope they leave Steve Bartman alone now. The poor guy has had a tough 13 years.
Founder of the Humanoid Nation Community on PSN

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

November 18th, 2016, 4:12 pm #14

To put a capper on things, the 2016 MLB Award Winners:

NL Manager of year: Dave Roberts, Dodgers
AL Manager of year: Terry Francona, Indians

NL Rookie of the year: Corey Seager, SS, Dodgers
AL Rookie of the Year: Michael Fulmer, P, Tigers
(I had assumed it would be Francisco Lindor... and didn't realize he had used up his "rookie" eligibility, last year)

NL Cy Young: Max Scherzer, Nationals
AL Cy Young: Rick Porcello, Red Sox

NL MVP: Kris Bryant, 3B/OF, Cubs
AL MVP: Mike Trout, OF, Angels

More stuff on this:http://m.mlb.com/awards/

Also, the New Orleans Zephyrs (Marlins Triple A sqaud) have changed their name to the
New Orleans BABYCAKES... with one of the creepiest logos I've seen.

FWIW, the Zephyrs were originally from Denver and were re-branded from the old Denver Bears in 1986. The name was taken from the "Denver Zephyr" train route; which is still active. The name "Zephyr" had a loose connection to New Orleans; supposedly the name of an old local roller coaster. Never seemed 100% appropriate for NOLA; almost lazy, as if they didn't want to bother buying new uniforms or something.