Infinite Devil Machine
dWb Superstar

September 21st, 2017, 4:47 am #181

Erick Von Erich,Sep 20 2017 wrote: I think the closest they got was Camino in "Attack of the Clones" (the place where Larry Kenobi met the long necked Cloners and Jango Fett). Yet it was more of a rainy planet.

Camino actually reminded me a little of Iskandar when I saw "Clones". Only differences were that it always rained and the structures were elevated well above the water (like, yeah, Jetsons). Iskandar had landing pads on the surface of the water and rest was all underwater, like Namor or Aquaman's Atlantis.
Actually, I was referring more to Cloud City as "The Jetsons" world. Elevated, super futuristic bubble cities and no sign of anything on the surface.
What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 22nd, 2017, 2:16 am #182

Infinite Devil Machine,Sep 20 2017 wrote: Actually, I was referring more to Cloud City as "The Jetsons" world. Elevated, super futuristic bubble cities and no sign of anything on the surface.
You're fine. I just mentioned the Camino/Jetsons thing as a visual comparison for their buildings.

Star Wars #80
Following the trail of Tay Vanis, Luke, C-3PO and Leia end up on an Imperial supply planet where they meet Vanis's actual droid, LE-914, aka "Ellie". Turns out, Vanis is still alive, but brain-dead, near death and held in a cell, per orders of Darth Vader. Vader kept it secret from both the Empire and Rebels... and yeah, his motivations for doing so aren't very clear. Maybe they were trying to preface Vader's 'face turn' in "Return of the Jedi"?

Ellie gives Luke and Leia the "Bothan tapes", then kills herself and Vanis. C-3PO was included to make an emotional connection with Ellie.

This storyline about Tay Vanis (and for awhile, Yom Argo) is a terrible plot-line that the reader has no reason to care about. I wonder if they had bigger plans for it, originally. Tying it into the Death Star 2 is fine, but I feel they wanted Vanis and Argo's collective past to have more significance. As it is, they were "just two guys". Even the main cast doesn't know who they are/were.

The race of "Bothans" isn't mentioned, just the Bothan tapes and the "Bothan system". Bothans have been included in the video games and stuff in the past 15 years (notable, the Star Wars: BattleFront series), but they were still undefined at this time. Also, Luke reports on the mission by com-linking Admiral Ackbar; first time he's been mentioned (but not seen).

Marvel's adaptation of "Return of the Jedi" now takes place. I only have a digest version of it (small paperback). From what I can see, it's pretty true to the actual movie. Maybe some different dialogue, at times. Only key difference is that the post-Jabba "deleted" scene, of everybody leaving Tatooine in a sandstorm is included (yup, Leia has a Y-wing). Always liked this scene because it features Han telling Luke "thanks". So he's not just the sarcastic scoundrel, he's actually a nice guy.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 22nd, 2017, 2:26 am #183

Star Wars #81
Picking up the morning after the big Ewok party on Endor (lub-wub). This is basically "yeah, Han's back"! He decides to head back to a bank on Tatooine, to withdraw credit from a bank account he stashed away. Leia and R2-D2 go with him, in a story involving the Jawas, Tusken Raiders and... Boba Fett.

Fett has amnesia, but the deal is that he was spit out of the Sarlacc Pit. So this probably started the terrible fanboy wanking of "Boba Fett is alive". The Jawas pick him up, thinking he's a droid. The Jawas are now more aggressive since Jabba's gang has been shut down.

Han and Fett end up in a runaway sandcrawler that's headed straight for the Sarlacc. Han tries to help him escape, but Fett suddenly remembers everything and shoots at Han. Han jumps from the sandcrawler, but it crashes into the Sarlacc, taking Fett with it. So this story popped him out and put him RIGHT BACK WHERE HE WAS...and still dead.

Two cute scenes, though (and I mean CUTE). In one, Chewbacca is taking a nap with some Ewoks snuggled on his lap. In the other, Han re-acquaints himself with the Millenium Falcon, happy that his sabacc dice are still hanging from the cockpit (despite the fact that they were left out of the last two movies...for you trivia buffs). Chewie shows up and they have a big hug. Emotionally, it's similar to the famous "Chewie, we're home" line from "The Force Awakens".

FWIW, this issue probably has one of the better covers of the entire series (if not the best).

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 23rd, 2017, 1:08 pm #184

Magnus Robot Fighter #0-12

This is the Dynamite series from a couple of years ago. This is kid of Magnus reimagined with elements of the Matrix mixed in. Really enjoyed the read through most of it. I thought the last couple of issues were meh but I think the first 9 or 10 were solid. I thought Magnus was a really likeable fish out of water in this series.

Dr. Specktor #1-4

This one I'm not sure about how I felt. Interesting premise that gets a little weird as it moves forward. he arrival of the other Gold Key characters was kind of odd. I think it's a worthwhile read if you're reading the other series that came out at the same time.

Solar: Man of the Atom #1-8

I haven't finished this one yet. Solar passes the torch to his daughter. This works a lot like Firestorm does. She is doing the actual superheroing while original Solar as a ghost feeds her info and formulas to use her powers. This series isn't bad but I am beyond tired of female lead characters with daddy issues. I have about 4 issues left so we'll see how they wrap this up.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 23rd, 2017, 1:54 pm #185

All-Star Squadron #4

The JSA/All-Stars head to Pearl Harbor and then split into two groups. One heads off to find the Japanese fleet and destroy it. Enter the Dragon King who uses the Holy Grail to mind control the members of the JSA that are prone to magic. Superman, Wonder Woman, Specter, Green Lantern, Dr. Fate and Johnny Thunder all become evil under it's powers. Quick thinking by Hawkman leads them out of range of the Grail and back to normal.

Interesting premise here as they use the Holy Grail to keep the JSA out of Japan while using the Spear of Destiny to keep them out of Europe. I liked the world building of this issue. It really creates a status quo for the role of the heroes in WWII for someone that wasn't reading the Golden Age comics. This is a really good book. It has the corny ideas of the Golden and Silver Age melded really well with the more advanced storytelling of the Bronze Age.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2017, 4:23 pm #186

Star Wars #82
In an attempt to have a new purpose for the series, an ongoing plot is recruitment of planets to join the new government the Rebels are proposing. So, over the next few issues, characters are sent out on recruitment missions.

Luke and Plif(!) go to Iskalon. But the local "school" is still somber about the Empire's attack and wants to remain isolated. Kiro returns, leaves the school, and flies back to join the cast. The other notable appearance is the return of Rik Duel, Chihido and Dani. They're on Iskalon to scavenge, but are told to leave.

It's confirmed that Duel is a Corellian. Luke opens the issue by training with the Ewoks and uses the name "Wicket" to refer to one of them. It's also clarified that Plif is now on Endor, as the representative for Arbra-4 and the Hoojibs. His telepathic conversations with Luke are a highlight. I suppose you can surmise, off-screen, that the Rebels moved their base from Arbra-4 to Endor and Plif (and maybe some other Hoojibs) hitched a ride.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 26th, 2017, 4:41 pm #187

Star Wars #83
A one-shot issue by a fill-in creative crew. Lando heads to the planet Drogheda, where he meets an old flame, Queen Sarna. Sarna turns out to be a manipulative wench, as they get caught up in a democratic revolution. Sarna and Lando are kicked off-planet, complaining about each other as they fly away.

It seemed like Sarna might join the cast as a foil for Lando, but she's never seen again. Lando did say he'd "drop her off at the next system".

Lando mentions that he came from Arbra, and no acknowledgment of the recruitment sub-plot is made. One revolutionary mentions the Empire's defeat, so who knows? This is very similar, in plot and visuals, to a 1960's/1970's Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon or even Adam Strange comic book. So, yeah, it's not too good and feels out of place. I'm guessing it was a left in the drawer as a filler issue, circa 1982.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 27th, 2017, 4:21 pm #188

Star Wars #84
Second straight fill-in issue, as it's Han Solo (and Chewie, to a lesser extent) on a quest to find valuable mystic crystals on the planet Seoul-5 (no ties to South Korea. Hey-oh!). He runs into in an old Imperial pocket and their cat-like agent, "Ssssk!" The exclamation point is part of his name. It plays out like an Indiana Jones caper, as Han meets two archaeologists and they escape from an exploding temple.

This is very similar to the flashback story of Han & Chewie from issue 50. It's strange that Han goes into this whole caper in order to make money. Sure, he was worried about his finances in issue 81, but here he mentions: "the Rebels will probably pay me handsomely for these (crystals)". He's even perfectly okay with the female archaeologist kissing him, as he's completely into it. They also play up his gambling skills, as this feels like a complete flashback story-- aside from one Imperial mentioning that the Emperor's dead. It would have been more suited for 1977-1980.

So, another garbage issue that, once again, feels out-of-place.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 2nd, 2017, 9:55 pm #189

Star Wars #85
Lando, Han and Chewie go on a recruitment mission to a notorious bounty hunter hangout world. They run into Drebble, Bossk, IG-88 and even some Stenaxes. In some weird logic, it turns out all of Lando's impersonations of "Drebble" have made the real guy into a hero. Even Admiral Ackbar wants to honor him. That...doesn't make much sense, but neither does this plot. Ties up some of the loose ends of the "Quest for Han" stuff that involved Lando.

Two fun notes, though. 1-- Lando now has his own ship, "The Cobra", which looks like a slimmed down Imperial Shuttle. 2-- There's a subplot about Chewbacca missing his family and wanting to visit "Wookiee World". Doesn't happen, this issue, but it does happen soon.

Oh, and the letters page teases that Shira Brie is still out there.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 2nd, 2017, 10:12 pm #190

Star Wars #86
It's been two issues, so it's time for another one-shot fill-in issue! It's even a flashback, set before "Return of the Jedi"... but it's actually all right. Leia goes to the Yinchori system, where her shuttle is shot down and she comes face-to-face with a Stormtrooper from Alderaan. Pretty interesting moral dilemma. Of course, Luke, Lando and Chewie arrive to save her, but the Stromtrooper dies while helping Leia make her escape.

A good standalone issue, for once. There are some similarities to "The Force Awakens". A Stormtrooper's TIE is shot down over a desert planet and he suddenly reconsiders his allegiance. Yet I think any connection to Finn is purely coincidental.

For any nitpickers: the Stormtrooper is wearing the usual white gear. Not the cool black TIE pilot gear.