Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2017, 2:13 am #171

All-Star Squadron #1-2

This is the 1980s series written by Roy Thomas. Dr. Mid-Nite, Atom, Hawkman, Robotman, Johnny Quick, Liberty Belle and Plastic Man are called upon to protect San Francisco in the wake of the Pearl Harbor attack. We get short origin stories of all the characters. The main villain is a time traveler named Per Degaton. His plot is kind of meh. He wants to leverage World War II into an empire for himself.

I love the Justice Society and the first two issues are fairly fun reads. I usually enjoy Roy Thomas stuff and this is no different. I'm looking forward to digging further into this series.

Pre-Crisis DC Comics is a blind spot for me and this is my first step in exploring the earlier eras of DC.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2017, 4:57 pm #172

DC circa 1981-1984 is usually pretty good. Even Superman.

I did a full write-up on All-Star Squadron #1 a few years ago, if you'd like to take a look:https://www.option38.com/all-star-squadron-1/

Can't remember if this is the same arc, but I think there's another time-traveling Per Degaton story that also loops in the (then) modern-day JLA.

Star Wars #73
The team has been re-assigned to search for a missing Rebel pilot and his all-important "data tapes". They mention that "others" are now looking for Han. They end up on the planet Lahsbane, as Leia and Dani go on a mini-adventure/treasure hunt. Leia gets the tapes, but Dani makes off with a load of loot.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2017, 9:56 pm #173

Cool, what's your opinion of Infinity Inc. That's on my list to read after this book.

Mad Dog
dWb Superstar
Mad Dog
dWb Superstar

September 18th, 2017, 11:00 pm #174

All Star Squadron #3

Lot of action in this issue as we close out the first arc. Degaton retreats to his own time and the JSA are saved. I'm really looking forward to reading a book set in WWII with Golden Age characters. I have read a lot of the original stories but they lack depth and are more just a charming step back in time.

I really like how Thomas writes this book as if it was written in that era. It's very war propaganda and has hamfisted Patroitism like the war comics did. Very good read so far and it feels different from a lot of the books I've been reading lately.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm #175

Mad Dog,Sep 18 2017 wrote: Cool, what's your opinion of Infinity Inc. That's on my list to read after this book.
I really didn't care for Infinity, Inc. I felt they played up the whole "legacy" thing too often. Mix in the retroactive continuity and it was more of a burden than a pleasant read. It was meant to play homage to DC's history, but was weighed down by it.

Also seemed to have a lot of "teen romance", which is always cheesy in comics. I remember a scene where Brainwave Jr and Jade are on an adventure, in a cave, and star banging as they decide they're "in love".

Helix seemed like an interesting and quirky villain group when they first debuted. They were sort of a pre-cursor to 90's Image teams, in a way (Gen 13 reminded me of them). Yet they kinda' get shoved away with only Mr. Bones getting any real attention.

I did like the idea of turning the Star-Spangled Kid into "Skyman", though. I don't think that happens until fairly late in the run. There's also a strong connection to the Sandman franchise, as I think the kid of Fury and Silver Scarab becomes significant. Never been into Sandman, so I forget the exact connection/character. "Daniel"?

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 19th, 2017, 5:26 pm #176

Star Wars #74-76
Looking for the missing Rebel pilot Tay Vanis, the team heads to the water world of Iskandar and its twin, Gamandan (which isn't all water..just a world). They meet the local fish-people and things seem to be going well, until the Empire fires a missile from Gamanda, creating a big tidal wave and destroying all the air-breathing structure son Iskandar.

Luke and Leia tough it out on Iskandar, while Lando, Chewie and the droids head to Gamandan. The head of the Imperial Gamandan base is proud of himself and reports to Darth Vader... who flips out when he finds out Luke Skywalker was on Iskandar and could potentially be dead. The heroes use the distraction to escape (with a LOT of magic R2-D2 help). They also meet Vanis's droid, K3PX, who is kind of a dick.

Luke and Leia meet the Iskandar warrior, Kiro, who shows them that they were sold out to the Empire. With everything destroyed, the Rebels are told to take a hike and never come back. Somber ending.

I remember picking up issue 74, sometime in May 1983. I had just seen "Return of the Jedi" and thought it would pick up from the movie. So it was interesting when I read it and found out it was still "pre-Jedi". I think I began slacking off on picking up "Star Wars" for a few months, because of that. Just made the comics feel like old news to me.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 19th, 2017, 9:55 pm #177

Star Wars #77
Luke, Leia and Plif (!) head to a remote station that looks like Buck Rogers' "pleasure cruiser of the stars". Mostly played for (bad) laughs, as Leia ends up singing, on stage.

Garbage story, but they hint that the two missing rebel pilots, Tay Vanis and Yom Argo, had information on the "Empire's next super weapon"; presumably the Death Star II.

Star Wars #78
An update on what happened to Wedge Antilles. He was stranded on Hoth, along with his buddy "Janson", fighting off Wampas and scraping to stay alive. Until Arns Grimraker and his scavenger gang arrived. Janson was killed, then Wedge was able to sneak out in a Rebel Transport ship. Luke, Leia and Lt. Barlon Hightower (a new comic-only background guy) track down the transport and are reunited with Wedge.

There's a big mis-step, as they say that Wedge grew up on Tattoine with Luke and that they were "closer than brothers". They probably got Wedge mixed up with Biggs, who's been dead since the first movie (or issue 6). I don't think anybody knew who the hell Wedge was until "Return of the Jedi", anyways. So somebody probably saw the movie, and wondered: "hey, who's that X-wing pilot who just took out the new Death Star?"

Like I mentioned much earlier, if Marvel had known about Wedge, they probably would've worked him into their stories sooner. As it is, this is an inventory issue to fill-in-the-blanks on Wedge. Oh, they also show the "MLC-3", or "Rebel Snow Tank". One of the mini-rigs from the Kenner toy line that was never shown in the movies.

Infinite Devil Machine
dWb Superstar

September 20th, 2017, 3:03 am #178

Of all the different planets that the Star Wars movies have used; cities, desert, forest, different kind of forest, snow, The Jetsons, more forests, more snow, snowy forest, The Pacific Northwest (so yeah, basically more forests again), jungles, and virtually uninhabitable volcano death planets - I'm shocked the Star Wars movies haven't really done a full on Kevin Costner-style "Water World". There's been a million and one different space ships, fighter jets, cruisers, destroyers, and all matter of land vehicles. But the one thing the Star Wars milieu is missing is water vehicles. And no, the Gungan version of the HG Wells bathosphere from Episode 1 isn't good enough. I want to see some cool Star Wars water vessels. And some badass fights at sea. I want to know what a "Star Wars" submarine would look like that isn't a giant bubble full of Ahmed Best making annoying voices.

Anyway... err... water is cool.

What "World of Warcraft" players see when they're not playing.....

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 20th, 2017, 3:53 pm #179

I think the closest they got was Camino in "Attack of the Clones" (the place where Larry Kenobi met the long necked Cloners and Jango Fett). Yet it was more of a rainy planet.

Camino actually reminded me a little of Iskandar when I saw "Clones". Only differences were that it always rained and the structures were elevated well above the water (like, yeah, Jetsons). Iskandar had landing pads on the surface of the water and rest was all underwater, like Namor or Aquaman's Atlantis.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

September 20th, 2017, 9:32 pm #180

Star Wars #79
Lando dresses up like the Japanese anime character Captain Harlock and, with Chewie in tow, goes to the planet Arcan IV to search for Han Solo. He gets a local pirate gang riled up and a wacky chase ensues. Arcan IV is kinda' like Coriscant, but more New York City. While things don't go as smoothly as expected, they do find out that Han is in the possession of Jabba the Hutt. So, a movie tie-in... 5 months after the movie premiered.

An ongoing joke is that whenever Lando's in disguise, he calls himself "Drebble". The real Drebble was an old enemy of his, that they ran into on Stenos (issues 72-73). Lando also used the alias in issue 75.

This was part of Marvel's infamous "Assistant Editor's Month". This story was silly, but they've all been fairly silly since Jo Duffy took over. I suppose the outright Captain Harlock homage was the extra Assistant Editor's Month wackiness. There's also a lame one-page gag about Marvel staff building their own Darth Vader costume. Like all of Marvel's internal staff jokes in the 80's, I'm sure THEY thought it was hilarious, but to the rest of the world it was lame.

Okay, ONE MORE issue until "Return of the Jedi" fits into the timeline.