JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

October 9th, 2015, 5:39 pm #91

I really did not get their obsession with poofy hair. Long, Jericho, Kole, and then there was Terra's messed up 'do. Crazy.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm #92

It was the 80's, when Perms Ruled.

I'm guessing the actual creative team all had poofy hair. Terry Long's appearance was based on editor Len Wein and I think Marv Wolfman and George Perez had different degrees of poofy-ness.

One tidbit I left out about issue 21: in the letters column, Wolfman talks about how he's writing the column on a "lap portable computer while on a plane in California". Once he lands, he's excited about getting to "modem the file" to someone in New York. Considering this is 1986, it's pretty progressive and exciting.

Oh, and I absolutely hate Jericho. I get where they're going with him-- he's a kinder, gentler superhero. That's refreshing, but stuff like his love of art and music is constantly shoveled on the audience. Add in the stupid costume, blonde afro and muttonchops and he tips the scale of the Annoy-o-meter.

Not to mention that his "art" is typically shitty landscape shots. Hmmm...makes me wonder if Bob Ross was any sort of inspiration.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 12th, 2015, 10:54 pm #93

New Teen Titans #22-23
Nightwing's undercover gig at the Church of Blood gets blown...again. He finds Raven and Arella, but gets brainwashed by the Church and new cool-looking baddie, the Confessor.

The rest is all about Starfire vs. Blackfire on Tamaran. Starfire's bloodthirsty and is shocked at the resolution: Blackfire's pretty good at ruling Tamaran and their parents agree to support her and keep her in-check. Starfire leaves and heads back to Earth; leaving her home, family and new (arranged) husband. So basically a buncha' BS and wasted issues to resolve a plot point that nobody cared about. The whole thing about Starfire getting MARRIED was just there for shock value and to rile up the fans.

Back on Earth, John Constantine makes a cameo appearance and takes Mento over to an issue of "Swamp Thing". No idea what exactly happens there, but Mento basically becomes even more bat-shit crazy.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 13th, 2015, 6:56 pm #94

New Teen Titans #24-25
Cyborg, Changeling and Jericho return to the team. Speedy, Hawk and Robin leave, but Aqualad and Flash stick around. Good to have Cyborg and Changeling back, since they sorta' made the "new" team. Everyone flies in the T-Jet, which means Melodramatic Inner Turmoil Dialogue!

They get attacked by Mento's new "Doom Patrol", the Hybrid. Pteradon, Harpi, Gorgon and Behemoth. Aqualad gets captured by the Hybrid and the Titans appears set on finishing things, next issue. But they kinda' forget....

The letters column is asking for both Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) and Bat-Girl (Bette Kane). But, according to Denny O'Neil, there will be a new female bat-person coming along soon. I don't think that transpired, unless you count Batgirl becoming Oracle as "new".

DC's really quite discombobulated at this time. Fans are beginning to wonder about Wonder Girl, now that Wonder Woman has been erased. Infinity, Inc is still out there, creating all sorts of weird Earth-Two snafus. Batman is in the process of being re-defined with "Year One, Year Two" and the re-tooled Jason Todd. Superman's all completely "new".

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 14th, 2015, 7:32 pm #95

New Teen Titans #26
The Church of Blood has a worldwide broadcast, promising to bring Brother Blood back from the dead, live on television. Sorta' based off of the televangelists that were always in the media in the mid-80's.

Instead of saving Aqualad and fighting the Hybrid, the Titans decide to go to Zandia and attack everybody that lives there. Robin returns as "back-up" and Starfire officially rejoins. They run into Zandia, with no real purpose, blow stuff up and run back to their camp. The new "shocking" villainess Twister messes with them for a bit... then the Brotherhood of Evil shows up.

Very awkward. The brush-off of the Hybrid is VERY un-heroic and you gotta' wonder if it's the writer forgetting his original intent, again. "Our team member is being held captive! Eh...he'll be okay. It's only freakin' Aqualad. I think we get more XP's and can level-up if we attack Brother Blood, instead."

This latest round of Brother Blood is a few years in the making and will be the final confrontation between him and the Titans. Marv Wolfman smugly mentions that he thinks Blood is the Titans' Joker or Lex Luthor.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 16th, 2015, 6:50 pm #96

New Teen Titans #27
The Titans continue fighting the Brotherhood of Evil in Zandia. The Brotherhood captures Jericho and ties him to a lightning rod during a thunderstorm. Me: "c'mon, Mother Nature!! Zap that mutton-chopped jackass!" The Titans get thumped around quite a bit.

Monsieur Mallah dips the Brain into "the Pool of Blood", which will supposedly make the Brain immortal. Cyborg uses the deus ex machina of interfacing with some computer to get whatever info they wanted....it also has the added effect of blowing everything up and the Titans go home. Paint yourself into a writing corner? Use a BOMB and blow everything up!

Twister also meets her long lost parents, has a change of heart...and appears to have been written out, at least temporarily.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 19th, 2015, 8:41 pm #97

New Teen Titans #28-31
The final throw-down with Brother Blood-- stretched out over 4 issues of the Titans getting a repeated tusky-kicking in front of the worldwide TV cameras. Robotman helps them out, for no real reason. Using smoke n' mirrors (and mostly technology), Blood appears to be reborn for everybody to see. For once, the villain's plans actually kinda' succeeds, as he's on the brink of a world takeover.

Of course, it all ends when Raven finally snaps back to "normal" and defeats Blood. Blood and his Church are exposed and the Titans are exonerated. Newschick Bethany Snow, who had been bad-mouthing the Titans; since circa issue 18 of their original title; is also revealed as a cult member and a fraud. Blood had been sweet on Raven, but jealousy from Blood's former bed-buddy, Mother Mayhem, also did him in. Raven's costume is now skimpier and super-leggy, by the way. She'd been kinda' creepy, before, but now she's actually kinda' hot.

Cameos from Superman, Batman, Booster Gold, Skyman, Dr. Mid-nite (the short-lived female version), plus Green Lanterns John Stewart and Katma Tui, as they all quell Blood's mobs. Robin (Jason Todd) actually proves helpful, as he's the one who saves Raven's mother, which eventually turns the tide. He officially leaves at the end, though.

Bunch of resolution as the Titans are finally reunited. Azrael takes Brother Blood to a sheep farm in Virgina, where he supposedly lives out the rest of his days. Azrael's pretty much gone, too (finally).

Frances Kane reluctantly helps the heroes and leaves with Flash as a lead-in to his new solo title (Flash #1 from 1987). I don't think she lasted too long in that title, though, as I remember Wally having a buncha' girlfriends. Wally's "romance" with Raven is officially dead and buried, as well.

New Teen Titans #32
Once again, Terry Long leads the team on a vacation, this time to upstate New York. They encounter an absolutely boring "murder mystery", but this is just to show the team back together. Wonder Girl remains as leader, as Nightwing's still "figuring some things out". Starfire doesn't give a darn that she's officially married, but Nightwing does.

Changeling is missing, as he's off looking for the Hybrid (and, oh by the way, Aqualad).

Letters over the past several issues have been decidedly negative. A good chunk constantly mention the absence of George Perez and that the title has declined, ever since. Eduardo Barretto has been doing the art for the past 20 issues or so. He's about "average", but begins to loosen up and do his own thing towards the end of the Brother Blood story.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 21st, 2015, 2:57 pm #98

Secret Wars #6 (2015)
Both Spider-Men meet the source of Doom's power-- the Molecule Man. Unrest erupts across Battleworld as everybody begins to suspect that things are not what they should be. Uprisings are led by someone called "The Prophet" in an animal skull mask.

The Thing finally shows up-- he was incorporated into the massive "Shield" barrier wall.

Mix in some babbling psuedo-science talk and .....well, I'm sure this makes 100% sense to SOMEBODY.

New Teen Titans #33
The team encounters some Zandian freedom fighters/terrorists. "Highlight" is when Nightwing confronts the final member and they talk it out. Awww. This issue and #32 were "guest written" by Paul Levitz. While cheesy, they still kept the same vibe of Marv Wolfman's jun, err, stuff.

New Teen Titans #34
After 10 pages of Inner-Team Drama; including a possible Nightwing/Raven romance; they FINALLY address the Hybrid situation (but not Aqualad) in what amounts to a back-up story. The Hybrid attacks Titans Tower with four new members (Prometheus, Touch-n-go, Scirocco and...one more who is seen, but not mentioned). I'm thinking the Hybrid had made an appearance in another title ("Blue Beetle" is referenced) because there are too many blanks, here.

How do they defeat the Hybrid and restore Steve (Mento) Dayton? Raven fixes everything with her Amazing Powers, of course. Mento reverts to normal ol' Steve Dayton. The Hybrid does a face-turn, since they were just being controlled by Mento. Don't know if they were ever seen again.

Reading this, I strongly feel that Mento and the Hybrid were yet another idea that changed course, mid-stream. The relaunched Doom Patrol was pending and Mento may have originally been in the plans for that. Or at least closer ties between "Doom Patrol" and "New Teen Titans". Robotman had recently appeared the Titans... but was instantly forgotten after the Brother Blood thing. Titans characters Changeling, Mento, a Zandian troopers, Monseiur Mallah and the Brain all appeared on the cover of Doom Patrol #1. But this cover also had Elasti-Girl on it, so it was probably just intended as a "jam session" of all things Doom Patrol.

"Doom Patrol" focused mainly on the "New" Doom Patrol, initially, and the title was in trouble after issue 4. I'm curious if Mento and the Hybrid ever made it into the "Vertigo years" of Doom Patrol.

Oh, and Erik Larsen is the artist for this issue. He's somewhat crisp, yet cartoony, and not nearly as exaggerated as his stuff soon became. I feel Larsen then became one of THE worst comic book artists in the medium. Really, I think his stuff is wretched. His emulations of Todd McFarlane, then Jack Kirby made him abandon any original style or talent he may have had.

JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar
JimBob Skeeter
dWb Superstar

October 21st, 2015, 6:31 pm #99

I bought that run of Doom Patrol, and, yeah, it didn't last long. I've always had a soft spot for The Doom patrol. Even the Negative Woman/Celcius run.

Erick Von Erich
dWb Superstar

October 22nd, 2015, 9:35 pm #100

New Teen Titans Annual #1
Skipped over this; probably fits in somewhere around issue 10-16 of the "New" (vol 2) series.

Jericho reads up on some old Titans files, specifically one about Superman, Brainiac and the alien super-team, The Vanguard. Flashback to the pre-CRISIS/pre-Judas Contract days, with Terra on the team. Reads like an extended issue of "DC Comics Presents". Yup, it's the cool mid-80's Brainiac with the Terminator-like body. Loved that look and design.

The Vanguard's certainly different. It's like if all the weird aliens in the GL Corps all had specific superpowers. The team is:
-Drone (their ship that can change into many shapes and sizes)
-Anti-MatterMan
-Solaar
-Scanner
-Black Nebula (who actually dies in this story)
-White Dwarf (my favorite. He's a little rocky guy who can mess with gravity)

Their background isn't detailed, so it's a little surprising that they weren't used again. An editorial box at the end asks: "what to see more of the Vanguard?! Write to us!" From what I've seen, this is their only significant appearance, ever.